LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Differences in playing the organ vs. keyboard  (Read 3652 times)

Offline PTpiano

• LGM Member
  • Young Wisdom

Differences in playing the organ vs. keyboard
« on: July 31, 2008, 10:29:43 AM »
Hello I don't really play the organ very often only when i visit other churches and they don't have a keyboard, I make due but i was wondering is there any major things that i should do to play more effectively on the organ. I don't know how to explain it?  I know i have to practice more to get use to changing the valves (?) to make the right sound.  I guess simple questions like what is the correct way to use the foot pedal for volume? when do i use the little switch thing on the left, i know it changes the sound to wave back n forth faster?  Regardless if anyone has any tips on what to do if someone who knows how to play the piano steps up to the organ with out any experience persay.
PT Piano aka Young Wisdom: reaching for God's Wisdom to rule over my life.  Less of Me More of God

Offline under13

• LGM Member

Re: Differences in playing the organ vs. keyboard
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 10:42:23 AM »
When playing the organ you gotta keep it smooth and connected. No more choppy chords

Those "valves" are called Drawbars

When it comes to drawbars I  keep it simple. I use:
008500000 (Quiet talk music) Left Hand Chords (you can also add the 2' drawbar)
888800000 Left Hand bass

888800000  008888000 (Same Sound as the previous one, but allows you to play lower on the keyboard)
088800000   (for quick right hand soloing)
658868558 (for old school Hymns) (Add C1 chorus)
888000000 Jazz setting
808500013 hymns
008804004 backing up preacher/west coast style

Sometimes I'll even take out the 8' on some settings and it gives a nice unique sound for backing up the preacher

I do a few more, but the you have to experiment with different settings. I some times add the 1' dawbar or some of the dissonent ones like the 1 3/5? (black ones) ex 808800601 if you use this setting play the left hand chords on the other manual with a  softer setting)

You also have to expeirment with playing in diffeent areas of the board with different settings

As for the Leslie switch, you cant just hit it every 2 seconds. When I do hymns  I leave it on slow during the verses and switch it to fast during the refrain or chorus.

To get a full sound, you have to play a lot of notes and play in the proper range relative to your drawbar settting and you also have to play bass pedals

Vibrato Chorus settings

I DONT use V/C during talk music. I think its too distracting.

C3 should be used when doing Preacher or house raising chords

C1 can be used when doing hymns or soloing, so you can get that "key click" effect

V1 sounds nice when doing hymns

V3 I dont use to often during service, but I guess it could be used if you are playing an old school shout or doing some funeral music.

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 01:30:32 PM »
Just hold down one chord for the entire song. Thats pretty much all there is to playing organ at the basic level. :)
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 07:46:36 PM »
Just hold down one chord for the entire song. Thats pretty much all there is to playing organ at the basic level. :)

I tried it...never worked ::) :D
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline bishopcole

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • YES INDEED!!! AND THATS A RAP!!!

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 10:28:41 PM »
Do a search on this very topic in this room as you will find much more info on this. AND THATS A RAPP!!  Bishop Cole
"Stay in God Always"  - Bishop Lamar Cole
"It's not about the Music, it's about the Ministry"

Offline Ken-Ken24

• LGM Member
  • God loves me!

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 12:09:13 PM »
Good tips! You can't be under 13 anymore can you?
Created by God

Offline AOHMusician

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 12:58:20 PM »
When it comes to drawbars I  keep it simple. I use:
008500000 (Quiet talk music) Left Hand Chords (you can also add the 2' drawbar)
888800000 Left Hand bass

888800000  008888000 (Same Sound as the previous one, but allows you to play lower on the keyboard)
088800000   (for quick right hand soloing)
658868558 (for old school Hymns) (Add C1 chorus)
888000000 Jazz setting
808500013 hymns
008804004 backing up preacher/west coast style

I am trying to make the transition from keys to organ. Do each of the numbers correspond to each of the different bars? And are these only for one manual or both manuals?

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 01:02:35 PM »
The main difference I see is there is no sustain pedal on organ.  I have to admit, I'm kinda lost w/out a sustain pedal.  Organ is gonna be tough for me to learn.  :'(
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 04:46:39 PM »
I am trying to make the transition from keys to organ. Do each of the numbers correspond to each of the different bars? And are these only for one manual or both manuals?

These are for both manuals. When you pull each bar out, you will see 12345678. Each setting that I posted has 9 numbers. one for each of the 9 drawbars. pull each one out until it gets to the number stated. If you still dont understand, let me know.

The main difference I see is there is no sustain pedal on organ.  I have to admit, I'm kinda lost w/out a sustain pedal.  Organ is gonna be tough for me to learn.  :'(

You wont need  a sustain pedal on the organ, because you wont be jumping around as much.

Offline PTpiano

• LGM Member
  • Young Wisdom

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 04:57:33 PM »
thank you very much so far... i got to practice this once so far by visiting my friends church... hard to find a random organ to practice since my church doesn't have a regular hammond organ.  Lol at Fenix,  i refuse to do that. Yea basically i just gotta figure out a way to practice on an organ more consitently its not like guitar center or sam ash  carries them...thanks alot
PT Piano aka Young Wisdom: reaching for God's Wisdom to rule over my life.  Less of Me More of God

Offline Virtuenow

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 03:21:04 AM »
Hmm, definitely gonna need this someday.  I know it's an old thread guys, but useful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up