LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phrasing... Let's learn to be musicians... "musicians"  (Read 7582 times)

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

Phrasing... Let's learn to be musicians... "musicians"
« on: July 04, 2006, 05:51:59 PM »
Several times phrasing has been mentioned and folk have left their LGM screen names dazed, without undersatnding and worse without care/want/desire to know. Well, it's time folk got a clue. Playing any instrument is about making music and nothing else. All these other things that have come to the forefront in recent times are distractions and have done NOTHING to raise the bar of music. Today's music for the most part is Lacking of substance in any and EVERY market. One reason is folk don't understand what it is to make music. Vision with no direction is a voice with nothing to say but jibberish.

So here, use this as a springboard (I just typed into Google...) to find out what it is that were are supposed to be doing. Hopefully this will stop us from being over-whelmed and amazed when we watch REAL MUSICIANS playing REAL MUSIC properly.

Let us get more into the STRUCTURE of the music we play with UNDERSTANDING and truth so we can be true blessings and and give our best offerings.

Some of this info... in fact most of it does not address the drums. They address MUSIC. Get past the tool and step into your purpose.

So let's keep LEARNING not leeching. You find that you have not truly learned something until you can teach it and even then you will stiill be learning. So enjoy the journey. Success is the process not the destination.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline thescientist

• LGM Member

Re: Phrasing... Let's learn to be musicians... "musicians"
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 09:21:19 PM »
As always Sabe, you hit LGM with wisdom.  It took me a while to get through all of the links (including having to read the knoesche report a couple of times to get some sort of understanding of what the report was trying to prove) but I can defintely say that you have always tried to keep the family focused on what we are here for; perfecting our craft so we can minister through music.  Thereby the better we understand music and all aspects of it, the better we will be able to minister through our craft. 

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 10:01:59 AM »
What I gather at this point and I will continue researching. Phrasing is taking the lyrics; melody, harmony, rhythm, time, and internalizing them acting/role-playing like Denzel W. bringing a thought in existence with expression.  However in music we must dissect the piece like a biologist does get into the music --we must know what every instrument involved is speaking. One passage stated just saying/studying (motor skill) the lyrics focusing on the Motif knowing where to highlight, lay back etc…  Music Theory is the backbone to understanding the language of the craft and building a stronger foundation as a musician.
Listening with acuteness is an important tool in music, which is often confused with Listening (for entertainment) and/or listening passively. (I definitely need to step my game up in that area).
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 07:50:57 PM »
Thanks Sabe. More learning & loving it.

Offline Metronome

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 07:25:41 AM »
Sabe, YOU DA MAN
Keep It Funky

Offline C1

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 09:31:10 AM »
The Knight strikes again!
You have no idea how much of an inspiration you have been to this place.
ChannelOne

Offline drummer_boi23

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 05:58:26 PM »
yet again sabe shedding some knowledge
Strive to make it to the top practise makes perfect if you pray and practice God will lead

Offline crazyfoot

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 08:18:25 AM »
good looking out doc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

Offline smarkland38

• LGM Member
    • myspace.com

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 11:36:25 AM »
GOD BLESS YOU SABE to use you to teach us what we need to know for our growth and development
I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST THAT STRENGTHENS ME!!!

www.myspace.com/sidmark

Offline thomas1168

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 11:12:27 AM »
TO TRUE SABE HOBBY OR TRUE MUSICIAN
WHEN I STARTED PLAYING BASS I HAD A TEACHER IN PITTSBURGH PA ON OF THE BADEST CATS ON EAST COAST SLAP WAS OFF THE HOOK
YOUNG AND STUPID THAT ALL I WANT TO LEARN AND I DID AND WELL I GUESS OK BUT I WILL NEVER FORGET AFTER I STARTED PLAYING AROUND THE CITY I HOOK UP WITH SOME BIG DOGS
DUDE SAID OK HERES CHORD SHEET KEY OF G WATCH ME FOR THE CHANGES 1234
MAN TO SAY THE LEAST VERY HUMBLING EXPERIENCE BACK TO THE WOOD SHED SINCE THEN I HAVE BEEN ATTENDING BERKLEE AN MAN I HAD NO IDEA HOW MUCH I REALLY NEEDED TO LEARN I TRY TO EXPLAIN THIS TO BEGINNERS NOT TO MAKE THE SAME MISTAKES BECAUSE I HAD TO GO BACK TO THE BEGINNING AND LET ME TELL ONCE YOU CAN PLAY IT IS VERY HARD

CHECK THIS OUT THIS IS PRACTICE I ALWAYS HAVE RECORDED MYSELF PRACTICING
THIS IS PRE BERKLEE BEFORE I HAD MY HUMBLING REALITY CHECK

http://media.learngospelmusic.com/index.php?cat94445

IT IS THE PRACTICE MP3

PEACE

Offline thomas1168

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 11:23:35 AM »

Offline thomas1168

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 06:41:51 PM »
RE my last post THE LINK I JUST POSTED
THIS IS BY FAR NOT A ATTEMPT TO SHOW OFF GET PRAISE ECT.
I HAVE SAVED MY RECORINGS PRACTICING OVER THE YEARS THE ONLY REASON I PULLED IS FRIEND OF MINE WANTED TO HEAR TRIPS
THIS WAS A TURNING POINT IN MY PLAYING YEARS AGO. WHEN I DID THIS I THOUGHT I WAS DOING SOMETHING,
BUT NOW AFTER BEING IN SCHOOL I LISTEN TO IT AND IT IS PATHETIC. WHY I WASTED TIME ON RHYTHM PATTERNS.

NOT INSTEAD OF PLAYING THE MOST TRICKY LICK THAT I HEAR
I THINK MUSIC I CAN THINK 8 BARS AHEAD, MIN7 DIM AUG 5 OF 5 8VA ECT. YES, I STILL LIKE THE FUNK BUT, I KNOW WHAT I AM PLAYING.
IT IS FUNNY IM POSTING ON THE DRUM SITE BECAUSE I KNOW AND STILL TRY TO TEACH WHAT I CALL BASS DRUMMERS
THE JUST BEAT ON THE BASS PLAYING PATTERNS, RUDIMENTS... RHYTHM PATTERNS. I DID THE SAME.
AT SCHOOL WE GET GRADED IN JAZZ ENSEMBLE IF YOU PLAY (1) NOTE OFF FROM WHAT IS WRITEN YOU GET POINTS TAKEN OFF OF YOUR GRADE
AND THAT GOES FOR THE DRUMMER, SAX, PIANO... IF IT HAPPENS MORE THAN 3 TIMES YOU LOSE YOUR SEAT IN THE BAND
NOW AT BERKLEE WHEN A&R REPS OR MUSICANS COME TO TEACH OR LOOK FOR A MUSICAN TO GO ON TOUR IT IS 98 PERCENT OUT OF THE BANDS I HAVE SEEN DUDES LOOSE OUT ON A NATIONAL TOUR PAYING BIG$$$$$$ JUST BY TRYING TO SHOW OFF ALL THE TIMEAND THEY WERE BAD
THE GUYS THAT KNEW THERE STUFF HELD THE GROOVE STAYED IN THE POCKET  AND ADDED THAT TASTFULL FILL (THAT COULD TEAR IT UP IF THE WANTED) GOT THE JOBS.

I DONT MEAN TO PREACH BUT READING THIS POST IF I HAD THE SAME ADVICE 4 YEARS AGO INSTEAD OF TRYING TO SHOW OFF I WOULD BE EVEN FUTHER THAN I AM NOW AND I AM COMING FROM MY MUSICAL GOALS... BEING ABLE TO TOUR STUDIO WORK ECT WITH ALL THE BIG DOGS

PEACE
SABE KEEP ON SCHOOLING
BEGINNERS LISTEN UP

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 01:03:14 PM »
Thomas1168, I am just learning more and more to remain a student of the craft.... staying hungry.

Thanks for the examples and the sharing of your personal experience(s).
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2006, 01:06:30 AM »
Here is a really good and simple explaination of Phrasing - definition and application to the drums !

And it is a vid clip.... soak it up

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/drumset/houghton_lessons/12HQ.html

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2006, 11:13:55 AM »
Soaked... Saturated... Drenched...
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.

Offline Steelpulz

• LGM Member
    • gospelbassmusic

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2006, 11:58:10 AM »
Hey all:

I'm a bassist lurking on your board. Just wanted to say that I LOVEIT when I can tell where we are in a song by listening to the drummer. It has everything to do with phrasing.
Conklin GTBD-7, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Glasstone Lil G2, Holy Bible

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2006, 06:32:07 AM »
Yall need to listen to SK on this one, If you listen and learn what ni**az talking about you will how to play Spanky and all them!
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!
Pages: [1]   Go Up