LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha SVB100 Silent Bass  (Read 709 times)

Offline Andrzej

• LGM Member
  • I've got 5 on it!
    • Kings Church

Yamaha SVB100 Silent Bass
« on: July 06, 2006, 08:58:52 AM »
I am thinking about parting with my KYDD electric upright as I am having difficulty playing it.  The bass sounds great and I do use it a lot, but it's shaped like a 2x4 and the curvature of my left arm seems a little laboured because its hard to judge the distance of your body to the bass.  I am used to playing on a 3/4 acoustic double bass and the feel is totally different because I lean into the bass using the body to support my hip and belly.  You can't do that with the KYDD.  You can get an attachment that comes away from the body for extra support, but they are shaped like the butt of a rifle and doesn't really do the trick.  There is a very good solution open to me and that would be the Yamaha SVB100 Silent Bass.  If you don't know what I am talking about here's a pic:

http://www.music123.com/Yamaha-Silent-Bass-i43668.music

Yamaha stopped producing this bass not so long ago, but I read lots of very good reviews about it when it was first launched.  I never had the opportunity to try one out for myself.  It is also becoming very difficult to track one down.  I would like to buy a second hand one as I have found a 2 Yamaha distributors in the UK that have one in stock, but retail for £2999 (about $4000).

I dunno how many players here use upright basses on this forum, but has anyone used or test drove a Yamaha SVB100 Silent Bass?  If so, what are your opinions?  I need as much feedback as possible because I may have to buy without trying and it's a lot of money to part with.

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up