LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "How would you handle a church not paying staff?"  (Read 3321 times)

Offline thesongbyrd

• LGM Member

"How would you handle a church not paying staff?"
« on: July 06, 2006, 10:15:46 PM »
"How would you handle a church not paying staff?"

I am a member of a 1500+ member church. The Pastor is very involved in Mission work and have been neglecting to pay his staff, bouncing checks and not communicating with the staff for over 10 months. The church collects enough tithes and offering to rectify this problem, but he sends the money to Mission or pays for traveling Evangelist, their tickets and hotel stay. This matter has been happening to the current staff and others who have worked in the ministry and have left because of his lack of consideration to them and their families. He doesn't consider payroll a priority.

We have scheduled meetings with the Pastor to discuss the matter, but only to have the meeting(s) cancelled at the last minute. There is no Deacon or Trustee board to address this matter. He is solely responsible for the church finances.

He has promised to rectify the back payments and continues to string us on. He will pay one week, the next week nothing, or the checks we receive bounces.

We are continuing to pray for our Pastor and the church finances, but my question is: Can we sue the Pastor or the church to get our money? or do you know another way to handle this matter?

Thanks for your help.

TheSongByrd

TheSongByrd
Praising God through Song

Offline lumbebear1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • A Merry Heart makes Good Medicine

Re: "How would you handle a church not paying staff?"
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 11:50:10 PM »
My question to you would be Why are you still there with all that going on?

Do you know who your headquarters is? Most churches (independent/denominational) have a covering, an organization or church they answer to, if you know who and where the headquarters are located I would suggest that you call them and seek direction from them as to how to handle this situation.

As for sueing the Pastor, I personally dont think thats a good solution, before I would go to that extreme I would count it as a loss and ask the Lord for permission to Leave the church and go somewhere else.

For the future I would ask for payment in Cash.

My $.02 hope something in there helps

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 07:25:14 AM »
My question to you would be Why are you still there with all that going on?

Do you know who your headquarters is? Most churches (independent/denominational) have a covering, an organization or church they answer to, if you know who and where the headquarters are located I would suggest that you call them and seek direction from them as to how to handle this situation.

As for sueing the Pastor, I personally dont think thats a good solution, before I would go to that extreme I would count it as a loss and ask the Lord for permission to Leave the church and go somewhere else.

For the future I would ask for payment in Cash.

My $.02 hope something in there helps

All I can say is, 'Amen to the infinite power'  Get out of there dude, as fast as the Lord will allow.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Keys410

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 08:11:35 AM »
That is a very hard situation to deal with. This is my opinion but you guys should have a finance commity. My bishop doesnt touch money in the church account he goes through our head of finance to avoid situations like that. As far as sewing the Pastor I would have to say I dont think that is a good idea as well but I will say P.U.S.H.  Pray until something happens!!! Be blessed

Offline Big_Al

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 09:02:34 AM »
If your church is a 501c corporation, you can do the following: request in writing a financial break-down of all expenses, and disbursements. All church, should register with IRS as a 501c (non-for-profit organization).

By law, the church has 30 days to submit a financial to you. If not, file a report with the IRS. IRS has set guidelines for church to follow. The Pastor, or founder, is NOT to handle any money in the organization. The deacon or board, which is required by the IRS handle the cash receipts and disbursements. In fact, anyone that deposits money, should NOT disburse (write) a check.

Unfortunately, this is why the government had to get involved with our churches today. Please contact me if any of you need additional information on this topic. I'd be more than happy to accommendate you.

-Al
All That I Am, I Owe to the LORD.

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 09:17:57 AM »

All I can say is, 'Amen to the infinite power'  Get out of there dude, as fast as the Lord will allow.

I'm going to add my 2 cents with you Jonathan.  That's just outrageous
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline bishopcole

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • YES INDEED!!! AND THATS A RAP!!!

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 09:39:25 AM »
I'm going to add my 2 cents with you Jonathan.  That's just outrageous

AMEN TO THAT!!  Bishop Cole
"Stay in God Always"  - Bishop Lamar Cole
"It's not about the Music, it's about the Ministry"

Offline pentecost_piano123

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 08:26:40 PM »
Well in my opion the staff should do there work for God not for money.  It is God that there are working for.

Offline musicman205

• LGM Member
  • The Minister, Psalmist, and Musician

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 08:44:30 PM »
As a fellow musician I believe that your pastor is totally in the wrong. You should be fairly compensated for your time. Although your ministry is for God and the people of the church, you still have a family and bills to pay. Pray to God for guidance. Never leave a church in bad spirits. If the problem continues then you have no choice but to look out for your family as well as your self. God doesn't put us in positions to be hurt. In this case, the pastor is hurting you financially. But there will be a blessing for your steadfastness.
To God be the Glory!!!

Offline laj528

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Preach the word!
    • H.O.P.E. Ministries

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 08:52:28 PM »
Suing someone in church I don’t believe anything good can come from that….. Pray, leave, do what ever God says but be careful of resorting to worldly resolutions.

1 Dare any of you, having a matter against another, go to law before the unjust, and not before the saints?
2 Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?  1 Cor 6:1-2
Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord (Heb12:14)

Offline david johnson

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 04:56:49 AM »
perhaps the 'church discipline' committee should meet with this thief.

dj

Offline gaman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2006, 08:12:19 PM »

Big Al....

I disagree with a statement that was posted... "All church should be 501(c).."

I disagree ...Why should a church have that status...

Please understand that with that status... The Government have the right to have say so in the church b/c you are using its money..."  You can't overrule governement and please God... There is a clash.... By no means,. am I promoting disobey one or the other.. but look at the government now.. and see how things are going.. the government is allowing some things that is CONTRARY to God Word.....

A church can function w/o 501 (c) fine.. Congress passed a law that a church (Religious Group)  does not have to pay anything on incomes.   

There is a way around that churches can beneift from 501 (c)...

but time won;t allow me to get into that.. I know this.. b/c I learned this from experience.. and with the help of God.

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Lord Can Do All Things!

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2006, 12:23:07 AM »
Welcome to LGM  thesongbyrd
Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Lord Can Do All Things!

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2006, 12:29:22 AM »
As for as this topic.        WOW!!!!!!!

Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.

Offline Furious Styles

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2006, 01:11:02 AM »
Way the long term effects. Money isn't always the factor to make a decision. When I first started playing drums for a church back in 91 I found out how ugly "church business" can get. All of my musician buddies were making three times as much as I was making. This money was how I paid my bus fair for school!! I stayed there because the church did so much for me and my family. IT didn't justify the wrong on the front end but God caused people in the congregation to move on my behalf. I also learned in that experience to not let a church gig be my only source of income. My 2 cents
Ignorance is Bliss

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2006, 05:46:51 AM »
Well in my opion the staff should do there work for God not for money.  It is God that there are working for.

You bring up a interesting point, but to be totally honest, I would probably not be available as much if I was not paid. I do a lot more than just play sunday morning. There's a lot of time that goes into music behind the scenes. Paid or not, I would still play to the glory of God.
Pages: [1]   Go Up