LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keepin voice in top condition  (Read 2479 times)

Offline v-mac

• LGM Member

Keepin voice in top condition
« on: July 11, 2006, 03:18:43 PM »
For the past 3 weeks my voice has been doing some irregular stuff. I'm in this community choir and we have rehearsal on mondays. In this choir i have to sing a little harder than when i'm singin in my church choir b'cuz the community choir likes to sing hi. I been in this choir for almost a year but now all of a sudden i have been gettin house after rehearsal. Every monday for the past 3 weeks i've been gettin horse and i never got horse from singin as long as i remember. So can anybody tell me what is  going on. Am i not takin care of my voice like i should be or what?

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

Re: Keepin voice in top condition
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 04:05:03 PM »
I know you did not mention this, but it sounds like you may be just getting used to the community choir.  Because you are stretching what you are used to, it will take some getting used to.  It will be very important that you watch what you eat and drink during these times.  Before any singing event (whether it be rehearsal or engagement) WATCH WHAT YOU DRINK.  You do not want to intake dairy or citrus before an event.  Also your water should be room temperature.  There are some sites that will help you strengthen your voice (sustaining, singing stronger, etc.):

http://www.usm.maine.edu/music/choralvocaltraining/

http://www.vocalist.org.uk/singing_exercises.html

http://www.voicetraining.com/online.htm

Hope this helps!  :)
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline v-mac

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 05:59:35 PM »
Yea I guess I am just now really gettin use to this choir and I'll try to make sure i try to watch what I'm drinkin. Thanks vtguy.

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 06:03:55 PM »
Oh and welcome to LGM v-mac!!!
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline bishopcole

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • YES INDEED!!! AND THATS A RAP!!!

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 12:22:01 AM »
For the past 3 weeks my voice has been doing some irregular stuff. I'm in this community choir and we have rehearsal on mondays. In this choir i have to sing a little harder than when i'm singin in my church choir b'cuz the community choir likes to sing hi. I been in this choir for almost a year but now all of a sudden i have been gettin house after rehearsal. Every monday for the past 3 weeks i've been gettin horse and i never got horse from singin as long as i remember. So can anybody tell me what is  going on. Am i not takin care of my voice like i should be or what?

Welcome to LGM Doc, and Pm my sister 2KLUBKLARITY and she will fix you right up with more good ways, along with what VT shared with you. She has majored in Voice and she is great in her field of expertise!  Bishop Cole
"Stay in God Always"  - Bishop Lamar Cole
"It's not about the Music, it's about the Ministry"

Offline 2KlubKlarity

• LGM Member
  • Green Eyed Divinity
    • Let me know who you are & where you are from (lgm)

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 12:43:57 AM »
Ok, so i'm replying to this half asleep...

From what I understand, your voice is getting horse:

1. You are over working it(in rehearsal), which we tend to do when we be feeling that song in rehearsal.
2. You are singing from your throat, which is gonna cause this to happen.

I recommend warming up/practicing every day. Your voice is realizing you are trying something different, singing higher, but it is not used to this. Just like over working your body muscles....you get tired. So take care of you voice by using it every day, singing high( but don't over do it) when you can, and keeping hydrated. Gotta keep them chords moist...refer back to the practice methods thread I did a couple of months ago. I'd love to provide the link, but i'm too tired. Hope I helped, if confusing...PM me.

Much love, many blessings...
Miss Klarity
"Prayer is the key. Faith unlocks the door."

princeoftheb3

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 12:50:47 AM »
DANG THAT MEAN I GOT TO STOP DRINKING MY STRAWBERRY LEMONADE

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 12:54:05 AM »
DANG THAT MEAN I GOT TO STOP DRINKING MY STRAWBERRY LEMONADE

Drink it all you want, as long as it's not 2 hour prior to any singing you will be doing

princeoftheb3

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 12:56:23 AM »
OH OK THANKS FOR THE ADVICE

Offline bishopcole

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • YES INDEED!!! AND THATS A RAP!!!

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 08:53:54 AM »
Drink it all you want, as long as it's not 2 hour prior to any singing you will be doing

This is correct Vt. Doc you are alright in my book Doc!!!  Bishop Cole
"Stay in God Always"  - Bishop Lamar Cole
"It's not about the Music, it's about the Ministry"

Offline keptbyJesus

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 01:55:38 PM »
I know you did not mention this, but it sounds like you may be just getting used to the community choir.  Because you are stretching what you are used to, it will take some getting used to.  It will be very important that you watch what you eat and drink during these times.  Before any singing event (whether it be rehearsal or engagement) WATCH WHAT YOU DRINK.  You do not want to intake dairy or citrus before an event.  Also your water should be room temperature.  There are some sites that will help you strengthen your voice (sustaining, singing stronger, etc.):

http://www.usm.maine.edu/music/choralvocaltraining/

http://www.vocalist.org.uk/singing_exercises.html

http://www.voicetraining.com/online.htm

Hope this helps!  :)

Right, I told the community choir I sing with at one of the last rehearsal's before a concert about the dairy, citrus, and water, and some had never heard that before. Some were receptive and followed advice  ;D and some being set in their ways were looking at me like I was crazy  ::).  Well the day of the concert, the ones who looked at me like I was crazy were cracking, coughing and carring on  :-X :-[ ?/?  :o  and those of us who did follow the advice were cool the whole concert. ;)  8) 

But for those of you who are wondering, I was taught, the dairy (i.e. milk, ice cream, chocolate etc.) causes excess mucus, the citrus (i.e. sucking on lemons, orange juice etc.) strips the vocal cords, and the water (or any other cold or hot liquid) sends the vocal cords into schock, especially after you've been singing for an extended period of time.
If it had not been for the Lord on my side, where would I be!!!

Offline silky

• LGM Member
  • at the Cross.......

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 02:22:30 PM »

Right, I told the community choir I sing with at one of the last rehearsal's before a concert about the dairy, citrus, and water, and some had never heard that before. Some were receptive and followed advice  ;D and some being set in their ways were looking at me like I was crazy  ::).  Well the day of the concert, the ones who looked at me like I was crazy were cracking, coughing and carring on  :-X :-[ ?/?  :o  and those of us who did follow the advice were cool the whole concert. ;)  8) 

But for those of you who are wondering, I was taught, the dairy (i.e. milk, ice cream, chocolate etc.) causes excess mucus, the citrus (i.e. sucking on lemons, orange juice etc.) strips the vocal cords, and the water (or any other cold or hot liquid) sends the vocal cords into schock, especially after you've been singing for an extended period of time.

I have heard about the milk and citrus thing, but never the water thing.  I thought it was ok to drink water as long as it is room temperatured, is it? 

I used to out-stress my vocal chords because (like 2Klub said) I was singing from my throat.  I was told that my voice is not in my throat, but in my head.  When you sing, you should feel buzzing in the head and pressure on the roof of your mouth.  When this happens I feel no pain, no stress, no fatique.  This feeling is the coolest thing since sliced bread. :)
WHEN YOU CAN'T, GOD CAN

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 03:11:08 PM »

Glad to hear that the advice was used and implemented.  You are absolutely right why I mentioned not to drink those items.

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2006, 03:13:13 PM »
I have heard about the milk and citrus thing, but never the water thing.  I thought it was ok to drink water as long as it is room temperatured, is it? 

Before any singing event (whether it be rehearsal or engagement) WATCH WHAT YOU DRINK.  You do not want to intake dairy or citrus before an event.  Also your water should be room temperature

This is correct

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2006, 06:41:38 PM »
2klub, the pic is very cute!  :)

Offline 2KlubKlarity

• LGM Member
  • Green Eyed Divinity
    • Let me know who you are & where you are from (lgm)

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2006, 12:31:07 PM »
2klub, the pic is very cute!  :)

Why thanks Miss Nessa...
"Prayer is the key. Faith unlocks the door."

Offline tj_941

• LGM Member
    • Tj's Myspace

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2006, 12:49:50 AM »
Also theirs this spray I use called Entertainers secret and it works. Look into that! ;)
Thank God for letting me see another day!
Pages: [1]   Go Up