LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: foot tips  (Read 4837 times)

Offline DrummerN8

• LGM Member

foot tips
« on: July 13, 2006, 11:52:29 PM »
hey does ne one have sum tips 4 me i need help incorporatin my foot in my fills

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

Re: foot tips
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 12:08:42 AM »
Honestly, in all seriousness and no sarcasm... practice slow with a metronome in serting your foot into your patterns. Practice rudiments with your feet. Always count out loud and use a metronome until you get it.

To really make it natural you have to develop your 4-way independence so tha tyour feet will be able to shift gears on command.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline QCdrummer

• LGM Member
  • "Yo Grandad! Buy me some Vic Firths!"

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 12:32:18 AM »
A major problem I had was having no control with my foot. I was trying to do doubles and have a fast foot, but I had no control whatsoever. Control is key. Your foot can have a mind of its own if you don't know how to control it. You have to make it stop when you want it to stop, and go when you want it to go. Once control is there, speed and everything else will come.
Praise Him with clashing cymbals!

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 09:16:00 AM »
Sabe and QC hit the essentials. You must develop your foot technique (with control) just as you develop your hands technique. Search here in regards to 4-way independence and invest in some of the materials suggested. Be encouraged the calve muscles are stubborn…
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.

rjthakid

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 09:29:41 AM »
Honestly, in all seriousness and no sarcasm... practice slow with a metronome in serting your foot into your patterns. Practice rudiments with your feet. Always count out loud and use a metronome until you get it.

To really make it natural you have to develop your 4-way independence so tha tyour feet will be able to shift gears on command.

I didn't detect any sarcasm at all.  Good post.

rjthakid

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 09:32:39 AM »
Another thing you can do is Rudiments.....But replace either your left or right hand with the Base Pedal.

Do the rudiment as you're supposed to.  Then do it again, Using your right hand, and replacing your left hand with the Base.  Then after a while, do it with your left hand, replacing your right hand with the base.  Once you build up speed doing this, your control will improve.  It'll also give you ideas for fills, and help you to incorporate the Base in your fills.

http://www.drummingweb.com/rudiments.htm

Offline smarkland38

• LGM Member
    • myspace.com

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 09:51:57 AM »
Another thing you can do is Rudiments.....But replace either your left or right hand with the Base Pedal.

Do the rudiment as you're supposed to.  Then do it again, Using your right hand, and replacing your left hand with the Base.  Then after a while, do it with your left hand, replacing your right hand with the base.  Once you build up speed doing this, your control will improve.  It'll also give you ideas for fills, and help you to incorporate the Base in your fills.

http://www.drummingweb.com/rudiments.htm

I agree with that! I use to work on my foot tech.  since i don't use a double pedal. Single pedal and HI HAT i would work on single,double paradibbles to develop mt foot.Dennis Chambers and quote me if i am wrong,talked about his foot teq on SERIOUS MOVES VIDEO and how John Bonham was one of his influences and one other person i can't remember.
I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST THAT STRENGTHENS ME!!!

www.myspace.com/sidmark

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 07:45:12 PM »

I agree with that! I use to work on my foot tech.  since i don't use a double pedal. Single pedal and HI HAT i would work on single,double paradibbles to develop mt foot.Dennis Chambers and quote me if i am wrong,talked about his foot teq on SERIOUS MOVES VIDEO and how John Bonham was one of his influences and one other person i can't remember.

Buddy Rich was the other
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline ebichies

• LGM Member
  • jdrummer

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 02:05:37 PM »
What exercises develop your 4-way independence?

He calls me "friend".

rjthakid

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 02:24:05 PM »
What exercises develop your 4-way independence?

Good Question

*looks at SabianKnight as if to say "Well?" *

j_kay

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 02:54:12 PM »
Aside from purchasing the Four Way Coordination method book that has been mentioned here multiple times, you could work on playing 8th notes with your hi-hat foot, 8th note triplets with your bass drum foot, 16th notes in a series of four on your snare drum (left hand) and quarter notes with your right hand on the ride cymbal bell with your right hand.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 10:34:36 PM »
Aside from purchasing the Four Way Coordination method book that has been mentioned here multiple times, you could work on playing 8th notes with your hi-hat foot, 8th note triplets with your bass drum foot, 16th notes in a series of four on your snare drum (left hand) and quarter notes with your right hand on the ride cymbal bell with your right hand.

Excellent response from the silent Jedi, lol. Seriou sly though. Just as J_Kay said. The whole thing in 4-way independence it to be able to play time will all limbs in the most basic sense. Playing the various subdivisions in support of one another in a rhythmic way is setting you on you way to making music. The independence to play different rhythmic patterns at the same time in various groupings or time signatures takes you into the next level, polyrhythms.

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2006, 04:01:49 AM »
Here's some exercises to do to help you develop you foot into fills. Start slow and work your way up.

s=snare, t=tom-tom, B=kick or bass drum

stbb stbb stbb stbb, so you are going: ( snare tom kick kick)  it should sound like badoboomboom badoboomboom badoboomboom badoboomboom

bbt bbs bbt bbs bbt bbs bbt bbs (kick kick tom, kick kick snare) boomboomdo boomboomda boomboomdo boomboomda

btbb sbss bsbb tbtt btbb sbss bsbb tbtt (kick tom kick kick, snare kick snare snare, kick snare kick kick, tom kick tom tom) boomdoboomboom daboomdada boomdaboomboom doboomdodo

Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline ebichies

• LGM Member
  • jdrummer

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2006, 12:59:11 PM »
Thanks guyz. I've been blessed
He calls me "friend".

Offline erickicks

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2006, 01:19:03 PM »
yea!..and everything everyone else said.. ;D