LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: does it make a difference?  (Read 2639 times)

Offline 1stgiftedchild

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

does it make a difference?
« on: July 15, 2006, 08:52:07 PM »
Hello everyone. newbie in the house ;D

I have just started playing the drum (and piano and guitar lol) and I was told that I should play the snare drum with my left hand and not my right (which I do), but does it make a difference?

I find that my left hand is a lot faster and has better co-ordination than my right when hitting the Hi-hat. Should I continue the way I am, or will it eventually cause problems?  Im not taking lessons yet, I just get to church early and just play on the 1 there (i get away with it because im in the choir :))

thanks

P.S God bless the creators of this site ;D I just stumbled across it looking for lyrics (total praise kurt karr, its my song right now) and like WOW a music site which is clean!!! A site that doesnt compromise for  cultural christian music (i.e "positive music" and im a christian once every 7 albums, or when i get an award!!!)

robdown

Re: does it make a difference?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 09:00:22 PM »
what you are doing is called "Open Handed" playing. there is nothing wrong with it, it's just not common in the gospel circuit. Dom Famularo explains it (and shows it) better than i could....

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/drumset/domfamularo.html

check the three open handed videos...matter of factly, check them all out!

hollatchaboi...and welcome to lgm.

j_kay

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 09:03:05 PM »
Ay, just play in a manner that's comfortable for you - just keep it ergonomically sound!   ;D

Offline 1stgiftedchild

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 10:01:34 PM »
 8)kool. thanks. I guess its good to be different. ;D

Offline thescientist

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 10:28:39 PM »
Like j_kay I would tell you to play with what is most comfortable for you.  True there are not many drummers known for this style of play, but I started playing around with it and it really does "Open" you up. 

Drummers to check out that use this style are

Gordon Campbell --

Billy Cobham --

....that should start you off

Offline thescientist

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 10:30:15 PM »
my bad on the Billy Cobham link......did not paste the correct link.....

here it is ... http://www.billycobham.com/video.php

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 07:12:41 AM »
Here is a question for you...are you left handed or right handed?

B_XALTED

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 10:35:11 AM »
I think that being versatile and being able to both is wonderful... I CANNOT PLAY OPEN HANDED, and if I do, DUCK, cause I may put your eye out, or my own.lol... But whatever is comfortable to you works... But being able to play in diferent styles is also a gr8 thing.

Offline 1stgiftedchild

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 12:20:15 PM »
Here is a question for you...are you left handed or right handed?

yeah, im left handed (hence the strong left hand) but I am practicing both open and closed ways. I find it easier playing slower beats ( like worship) closed and faster praise song open.

but saying that EVERY left hand player i know plays closed. Its just me lol ;D

just need to practice more I guess. would help if I had my own drum kit :'( guess I'll have to stick to drumming on the table with pencils  :D

thanks 4 the links scientist

Offline juSe

• LGM Member
  • Call me juSe Wayne

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 01:30:04 PM »
yeah, im left handed (hence the strong left hand) but I am practicing both open and closed ways. I find it easier playing slower beats ( like worship) closed and faster praise song open.

just need to practice more I guess. would help if I had my own drum kit :'( guess I'll have to stick to drumming on the table with pencils  :D

Keep playing open-handed.  I am in the process of re-training myself to where i can do open handed hi hat lead and keep my ride on the right side.  Simular to what John Blackwell and Nisan Stewart do.  Its an asset that you may not understand until years down the line...
You Are Your Only Limitation!!

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 07:47:01 PM »

You are on the right track. That's great you are starting that way, learning both way at the beginning my seem like alot of work; however, the produced fruit will be immeasurable. If you can invest in a practice pad kit DW has a nice one.  http://www.dwdrums.com/eddept/smartpractice/goanywhere.htm
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.

Offline 1stgiftedchild

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 09:39:21 PM »
thanks ;D yeah it is hard work and can get really frustrating at time, make u wanna smash the kit up (then realise the choir master watchin me LOL :D)

im not sure weather to get an electric or A traditional 1 cos the trad jus make toooooo much noise up in the house

Offline 1stgiftedchild

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 09:42:05 PM »

P.S God bless the creators of this site ;D I just stumbled across it looking for lyrics (total praise kurt karr, its my song right now)

just realised, sorry I ment richard smallwood. :o

lol :D

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2006, 09:52:28 PM »
thanks ;D yeah it is hard work and can get really frustrating at time, make u wanna smash the kit up (then realise the choir master watchin me LOL :D)

im not sure weather to get an electric or A traditional 1 cos the trad jus make toooooo much noise up in the house

Don't hurt nobody! It's well worth it. Practice, practice and it will soon become effortless.
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2006, 10:28:08 PM »
8)kool. thanks. I guess its good to be different. ;D

Welcome to LGM doc!

Honestly take the BIlly Cobham approach and play with both. The whole idea of mastering the drumset is to be ambidextrious. If you get Billy Cobham's (VHS - not on DVD yet) Drums By Design ypou will see him solo while changing from various left and right hand grips with any change in sound quality. He is credited as being one of the first if not the first to perform with match grip on the drumset and he plays mostly open-handed. Also study Lenny White and Carter Beauford.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2006, 01:13:43 AM »
Be ambidextrious.  I forced myself to play the set left handed.  Growing up, my church used to fellowship with a church where there drummer was left handed and everything was switch around.  I got tired of switching the set in the middle of service when it was time for me to play, so I went back to my church and switched the set and started to learn that way.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2006, 01:35:59 AM »
 ;D Hey chick welcome to the site! I personally play both! There's really no real right way, so if open handed is right for you then hook it up! Some pros who have weird setups who have their main hi-hats all over the place.
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline 1stgiftedchild

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2006, 07:56:14 PM »
 ;Dthanks 4 the welcomes.

yeah im gone practice with both hand :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up