LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should outside musicians sit in during rehearsals  (Read 1315 times)

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

Should outside musicians sit in during rehearsals
« on: September 23, 2011, 10:02:52 AM »
If you are having a rehearsal, whether it be for Sunday morning service or an outside engagement, should musicians who arent your regular musicians and arent going to be playing for this particular engagement sit in and play during the rehearsals?

Does it do more damage than good, because whatever gets done in rehearsal needs to be what can be reasonably expected during the actual setting? Of course when an outsider tries to do moves/breaks/progressions I try to shut stuff down because that wont be done (now if we're rehearsing just to rehearse, fine, but if rehearsing for something particular coming up, getting everyone accustomed to things that wont be there come gametime is bad). But is the addition in any capacity bad?

If its the case of "our organist or bass player, cant make it so it'll just be our keys and drums" then yeah, they should practice in the rehearsals anyway. But if you NEVER have these instruments, should other musicians at any time sit in and play them during rehearsals?
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline browntree

• LGM Member
  • www.reverbnation.com/btree

Re: Should outside musicians sit in during rehearsals
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 11:38:22 AM »
Interesting question.  I think it depends on the musicians, but I always like to practice the same way we'll perform.  However I can see possibly the pianist or drummer getting some creative ideas from what they hear from the bassist or organist.  But if the instrument won't be there at the performance, they shouldn't take on a dominant role in rehearsal.  Just my opinion...

Offline Fingers!

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 01:30:43 PM »
Isn't that how you recruit/audition possible new members? We see rehearsal as a time of offering praise as much as it is working on a specific performance.

I guess that would depend on if you are looking for new add-on musicians.  If it has to be, then I agree with the above statement:
But if the instrument won't be there at the performance, they shouldn't take on a dominant role in rehearsal.  Just my opinion...

But I have been in settings where the MOM was very strict about that - No outsiders unless he requests him/her.

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 02:05:34 PM »
Isn't that how you recruit/audition possible new members? We see rehearsal as a time of offering praise as much as it is working on a specific performance.

i would assume that if you are recruiting/auditioning new members, you would have a session particularly for that. If you have an engagement on Saturday, Fridays rehearsal in preparation for that is NOT the time to be trying out new musicians.

But I have been in settings where the MOM was very strict about that - No outsiders unless he requests him/her.

being in the audience shouldnt be a problem if they are respectful. its the question of them PLAYING during the rehearsal.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline mjl422

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 02:48:10 PM »
I think that rehearsals are the time to work on perfecting what you are planning on doing for the service (with the musicians that are a part of the group).  You can set up a musician's rehearsal or jam session for auditioning or jamming with additional musicians. 

Offline Fingers!

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 06:06:11 PM »
being in the audience shouldnt be a problem if they are respectful. its the question of them PLAYING during the rehearsal.

I wasn't talking about spectators...

Offline BassbyGrace

• LGM Member
  • striving

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 07:09:13 PM »
Well youre not even pulling out an instrument at our rehearsal unless you are apart of the worship ministry so thats not happening at my church.  The pastor is VERY protective of whos doing what in the ministry.  MAYBE a lil jam afterward but during rehearsal?  Thats a negative.
Praise Him!

Offline joe crabb

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 04:35:15 AM »
If you are having a rehearsal, whether it be for Sunday morning service or an outside engagement, should musicians who arent your regular musicians and arent going to be playing for this particular engagement sit in and play during the rehearsals?

Does it do more damage than good, because whatever gets done in rehearsal needs to be what can be reasonably expected during the actual setting? Of course when an outsider tries to do moves/breaks/progressions I try to shut stuff down because that wont be done (now if we're rehearsing just to rehearse, fine, but if rehearsing for something particular coming up, getting everyone accustomed to things that wont be there come gametime is bad). But is the addition in any capacity bad?

If its the case of "our organist or bass player, cant make it so it'll just be our keys and drums" then yeah, they should practice in the rehearsals anyway. But if you NEVER have these instruments, should other musicians at any time sit in and play them during rehearsals?
Actually i don't like people hanging around when the band is rehearsing,if we have to learn music for a up coming show then the less distractions the better,i always find that some people,not all,are there just to get to play, without thought that it may upset the rehearsal,but let's face it,they don't really care about doing that,so we have a strict rule,if we are learning new stuff where everyone needs to concentrate then it's band only,if it's a "tighten up"before a gig type of rehearsal then a few  peoeple can come,it may sound harsh what i'm saying,but it's the band that will suffer, not the guy's/gals that just want to come in for a "jam", Joe.

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 05:17:30 PM »
I agree with you floaded
Pages: [1]   Go Up