LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Muting when slapping!!  (Read 894 times)

Offline joe crabb

• LGM Member

Muting when slapping!!
« on: September 28, 2011, 06:59:58 AM »
How do you guy's mute the unplayed strings when slapping?i play mainly 5 string basses,thanks,Joe.

Offline Fingers!

• LGM Member

Re: Muting when slapping!!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 07:50:02 AM »
How do you guy's mute the unplayed strings when slapping?i play mainly 5 string basses,thanks,Joe.

I use the left hand.  I used to play guitar years ago and I learned to deaden particular unwanted strings with the sides of my fingers as I strum chords.  Like, when they teach you to keep your fingers curled and play with the tip, I had to break that rule and play with the FLAT of a finger or two and let the tip touch-mute the string directly above. 

Sometimes, as I'm playing, when it's time to use my second finger, the longest, I  would play a note on one of the thicker strings, b or e, then I would leave it there...not fretting, just touch-muting that particular string with the tip while rest of that same finger laying over a couple of other strings, muting, while my other fingers are still playing notes.  That moment would last only about a couple of beats. 

It just carried over to the bass.  I never really thought about it on bass, like, how some people have the 'b' string ringing issue...nope, never had it.  I DO remember, like it was yesterday, working out my mute issue on guitar.  I had to consciously focus on that.  Now, it's automatic.   

Offline mjl422

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 11:47:33 AM »
I use a combination of the left hand and right fore-arm/wrist.

Watch how he lays his fore-arm across the stings near the bridge. This technique works better if you wear your bass high.

Trevor Lindsey Demos KSD Burner DLX (The video's owner prevents external embedding)

Offline joe crabb

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 04:23:59 AM »
I will have to experiment with these,i don't wear my bass to high and maybe i should try it out,thanks for the info,Joe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up