LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: wow this is just nuts ..  (Read 1213 times)

Offline uprising_bassist7

• LGM Member
  • ''God is the mighty Lion in ZIon''

wow this is just nuts ..
« on: July 25, 2006, 03:57:09 PM »
 wooten  is tha man check this solo :o

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-6125348242232514802&q=victor+wooten

its jaw dropping
UpRiSiNg

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

Re: wow this is just nuts ..
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 04:07:50 PM »
I seen it before, this time I watched it with my father. I was telling him that I am maturing as a bass player and when I here I'll say most bass players that plays lead bass and all the fancy stuff I am becoming to find it displeasing and not very tasted and I begin to like this style less and less.

BUT when it's Mister Wooten, I can listen to it over and over again. I start to like it more. He does this in such a way with sooo much class. He is defintly a bass player that might be in a class by himself. I feel that no more then 4 other bass players are in his class.

Of course this is my opinion only talking about those bass  players that I have heard/seen play.

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 04:41:16 PM »
i hear ya bruh but wow i wish i could do that, if there was no other instruments bein played instead of hopin on the keys i could stay on bass and styll light it up ;D
UpRiSiNg

Offline carlmack7183

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Carl's Business

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 10:34:16 PM »
Well fellas I hate to take the opposition on this issue but I used to love hearing Vic play, but now I dont care too much for him. Why?? Because its only so many times that I can hear the same licks and riffs over and over again. I personally think he's the nastiest funk player out, but he does that fast stuff too much for my liking.I guess its just personal preference but I much rather hear Marcus Miller. Its weird b/c I just began to feel that way about Vic.

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 07:51:52 AM »
its kool i hear ya but gouche will always be the nastiest bassist  ;D
UpRiSiNg

Pearldrummer1

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 04:49:01 AM »
I'm not going to lie man, I liked his bass day 98 clip, That has to be my favorite of his, he straight made love to that bass man....

Offline Bullitt

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 11:11:51 AM »
Well fellas I hate to take the opposition on this issue but I used to love hearing Vic play, but now I dont care too much for him. Why?? Because its only so many times that I can hear the same licks and riffs over and over again. I personally think he's the nastiest funk player out, but he does that fast stuff too much for my liking.I guess its just personal preference but I much rather hear Marcus Miller. Its weird b/c I just began to feel that way about Vic.

I agree with you on that.  I used to have the "A Show of Hands" album and lost it.  I downloaded a few of the tracks and while still impressive, they didn't wow me like they used to.  Marcus is a guy that can sound different on every track of a CD  but you still know it's him because of his signature style.  IMO Vic starts to get a little repetitive after a few songs but again, that's just his style.

I still enjoy listening to both players and learning from the things I hear/see them doing.  I just tend to find MM on the playlist more than Wooten these days.

God Bless,
-J

Offline djgroovin

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 12:35:34 PM »
I personally prefer MM's music.  The slight turn off for me is all the synthesized stuff in Victor's music.  If it was just him playing bass without the other weirds sounds and clowning I would love it even more (I think it's mostly his brother on keys/synth.  Thought Vic and Reggie are clowns too).  Don't get me wrong.  I love his slap and tapping and overall musicianship.  I will probably buy anything he puts out but I'm more of a pure contemporay jazz guy.

If you like jazz and haven't heard Gerald Veasley's stuff you're missin' out.

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 12:57:44 PM »
thanks for the impute guys  :)
God bless
UpRiSiNg

Offline carlmack7183

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Carl's Business

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 06:01:30 PM »
NOw I know that I said that I prefer Marcus Miller, but Im no fool either. Vic is a badd boy, and when he came to Louisiana last year I made sure that I had front row seats. His live performance was amazing, and his DVDs are okay too. I have three videos of him and he teaches some muting techniques (scrunchies) and how to transform your slapping style (hit the open string, fret the note with the left hand, then pop the octave). But being from Louisiana Im more of a jazz and gospel lover and down here Marcus Miller, George Porter Jr, Roland Guerrin (Ibanez endorsee), and Tony Gullage (most underrated bassist in the country!!!) run things!! Who are the nice local bassist in you guys' area??
Pages: [1]   Go Up