LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the going rate for a saxophonist to charge to do a wedding?  (Read 2283 times)

Offline visionmike

• LGM Member

I have done a few weddings and when I was asked how much do you charge, I don't know what to tell them. How do you put a charge on something like that? 
In everything you do, ALWAYS put God 1st!

Offline baldeagle

• LGM Member

Re: What is the going rate for a saxophonist to charge to do a wedding?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 09:48:09 AM »
I've been playing sax for about 20 years. I still have this problem. This is usually how I look at it. Most of the weddings I do are not for rich people. So I could charge too much and get passed over. Or I could charge something reasonable, and get paid $100 -- $200 for playing my sax for 2 hours. I look at how many songs I'll be playing, how far it is from my house (gas is up to $19 a gallon now). You will also have to ask yourself which is more important -- making a lot of money on one event, or getting referrals and working a lot. Personally, I always charge less than I probably could because if I overcharge I'd end up sitting at home doing nothing and making nothing.

Sometimes, if it's a person that I know personally, I'll ask them what they can honestly afford. As long as I'm compensated for my gas and time, I'm usually okay.

Hope this helps.
It's God's way. . . or Hell to pay

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 04:38:17 PM »
You will also have to ask yourself which is more important -- making a lot of money on one event, or getting referrals and working a lot.

Great point...
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.

Offline visionmike

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 12:16:43 AM »
We are on the same page.Thanks baldeagle. That info was truly helpful.
In everything you do, ALWAYS put God 1st!

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Lord Can Do All Things!

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 11:00:46 PM »
Welcome to LGM   visionmike
Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.

Offline keynote

• LGM Member
  • Ps 16:1

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 11:38:27 PM »
I've been playing sax for about 20 years. I still have this problem. This is usually how I look at it. Most of the weddings I do are not for rich people. So I could charge too much and get passed over. Or I could charge something reasonable, and get paid $100 -- $200 for playing my sax for 2 hours.

I feel ya'... you also gotta look at if you doin a solo gig or with a group or whatever. You may be able to play for tips on top of that too... if it's like dinner music during the reception... Oh yeah... make sure you get fed too ;)
Take care and be blessed!  Ps 16

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My dog Bear (125lbs of Luv)
    • Wolfram a/k/a Don Zlaty

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 10:02:33 AM »
Solo sax costs more.  The onus is entirely on you. 

When I merc out in a group (wedding band) I get somewhere between $150 - 350 dollars depending on the event.

If this is "Wolfram" feature event, I can figure to recieve anywhere from $225 - 500.  It all depends on the event and the clientelle.

Big band gigs, you are lucky to pull $75-100

Pages: [1]   Go Up