Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 4255 times)

Offline godsbassman2000

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Hello
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2006, 05:16:23 PM »
Many thanks for makin' such great music!!!!!!!!! The first time I heard your music was on the GMWA Live in Salt Lake City, and since that time I have purchase many GMWA recordings.

Again, many thanks

Greg
"You can't glorify God and yourself at the same time"

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2006, 08:12:53 PM »
Lemme just tell you a little about myself. I started playing bass in 1974 when I got a bass for Christmas. I was singing in the choir at Rev. James Cleveland's church, and he used to let me sit on the side and try to figure out the songs. I realized early on that God had given me the gift to play bass. I'm am totally self taught, so I probably did alot of things that were not by the book! I came up in a time when most churches did'nt even see a need for bass because the organists would play bass on the pedals, (Many still do!). A lot of people ask me about scales and theory, but to tell you the truth, I don't know the technical terms for 99% of the stuff I do. Understand, when I was coming up, the only other bass player that I knew about was Joel Smith (My favourite player). There were no standards for playing in church, so basically I set my own standard, which after a while began to get the attention of a lot of artists. At one point, I was playing with James Cleveland, The Winans, Andrae Crouch, The Hawkins Family, and the Jazz Crusaders at the same time. The luxury that up and coming players today have, is having all these great players to listen to, Like Terrance Palmer, Maurice, Joel, Reggie Young etc. One thing that I can say is that I NEVER wanted to sound like anyone else, that does'nt mean that I don't listen to anyone else, I love all the guys that I mentioned before and a few others like Marcus, Victor, and Robert Wilson of The Gap Band, check him out! To the question of getting around my fretboard, I used to learn a song, then play it in every key and in every position on my bass. For instance, if it's in E, then find every E on the neck, and play the song. To the question of the Bass Off, I'm not exactly sure how that works, so I'm gonna leave that alone, but if you let me know of some things that you'd like to hear examples of, I'll post them. Peace.......

That's the part I'm talking about! You played with Joe Sample! Sweet.

I want to go see a concert of his one day, but I'm in Korea, and I keep missing his Japan tours.

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2006, 12:49:39 AM »
Welcome to LGM. Your playing is a real inspiration. God Bless.

Offline BassAddict

• LGM Member
    • Myspace

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2006, 05:15:00 PM »
Welcome aboard!!!
Acts 4:12

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2006, 05:35:50 PM »
Welcome

Offline cogicguy

• LGM Member

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2006, 06:20:41 PM »
Welcome to the best gospel  bass site!
No weapon formed against me shall prosper

Offline play4zero

• LGM Member

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2006, 01:45:01 AM »
I was just listening to some of your work this evening on the Andrae Crouch CD "Pray" which brings me to my (probably horrible) question.  Which album(s) do you think gave you the best opportunity to really open up and do your best work?
Ezekiel 3:12

Offline djgroovin

• LGM Member

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2006, 09:28:03 PM »
Welcome...I'm sure we all feel blessed to have you join this forum.  I'm certainly looking forward to what you have to offer.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up