LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1st Post Intro/Chord Request....Kirk Franklin - Dont Cry  (Read 7816 times)

Offline Agape

• LGM Member
  • Outside The Box!
    • Agape Music Productions

1st Post Intro/Chord Request....Kirk Franklin - Dont Cry
« on: August 02, 2006, 01:57:47 PM »
1st of all let me introduce myself real quick....Well, my name is Austin and I'm 1/2 of a music production company called Agape Music Production. We make beats for gospel hip hop and R&B artists. I'm basically the supplier of the chords and melodies and my roomate handles the percussion. While I have that going I'm working on my piano/keyboard playing abilities. I eventually want to produce praise & worship songs that a praise team or choir can sing. Something to the effect of Kurt Carr, Kirk Franklin, Byron Cage, Shekinah Glory(I really love how they incorporate strings in their worship songs). My vision is to be one of the best piano/keyboard players in my generation for gospel music period(i hope i said that right).  Anyway, heres my first plea for help:

I dont necesarrily need the chords to this song. I just want the progression in roman numeral form. Heres the thing, I'm trying to figure out this music theory thing on my own, I read up on it, and I think I know enough to figure out the key that the song is in(which is Db/C# in this case) and the notes in that scale. I want to see the pattern in which the pianist(I heard richard smallwood was on the keys for this song too) used in this song. I want to know when to use Maj7 chords and when not to. I also want to know why use Dim chords and when will be a good time to use it in a song. I know I'm asking alot but I pray that someone can help me. I've come up with a lot of questions while practicing and learning from other people that I really havent had the chance to ask. Plus the Bible says: You have not because you ask not. lol. So can someone please help. Heres what I know about the song so far.

Its in the key of Db Major
I have no idea which note it starts on, my first guess is that it starts on the 1 note, but the more i listen, the more i doubt it. I could be right though.(speaking of which, Why would you start a song on a note other than 1, like 5,2,or 6?)
The lyrics are pretty much repetitive:

Why do you cry
He has risen
Why are you weeping
Hes not dead

He paid it all
On that lonely highway
And his annointing
I can feel

He shed His Blood
For my trangressions
And by His stripes
We are healed

Why Do you cry
He has risen
Why are you weeping
He's not dead

So as you go
Through lifes journy
Dont you worry
Lift up your head

Dont you cry
Stop your weeping
He has risen
He's not dead

Dont... Cry.... Wipe...Your Eyes
He's...not...dead
Dont.....Weep...He's not....asleep
Jehovah....He's not....Dead

Dont... Cry.... Wipe...Your Eyes
He's...not...dead
(this part repeats tilll the end of the song)

So can someone help me? My main thing is to up my chord vocab. And I want to know the names of the chords as well so i can memorize that. So when another song comes up, like when i'm playing for my church...and its in the key of Ab, i will already have transposed the chords i know to that key and memorized it. I hope i'm making sense. I just need one key of pretty chords in a song, then i can transpose, do little inversions(all of this will be done on paper, i tend to remember better when i write it down and read over it). And since i already know where the notes are located on the keys...if i can remember that a  c# maj7 has Ab, C,C#,and F in it, then I can basically create an inversion that goes with the song i'm playing as well as transpose it to the key that the song is in. Sorry for the long post!  Thank you so much in advance for whoever helps. Be Blessed in Highly Favored!

Austin
Open-mindedness is the way to go!

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Re: 1st Post Intro/Chord Request....Kirk Franklin - Dont Cry
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 04:24:47 PM »
Hey, what's up Agape.  The song "Don't Cry" by Kirk Franklin is not really in the key of Db major, it is in the key of Bb minor, although they both have the same key signature (5 flats) and chords.  The progression pattern is:  2-5-1-4-7-3-6 / ii-V-I-Iv-vii-iii-VI When you playing in a minor key, you use the same chords and progressions as it's relative major, the only difference is that 6 becomes your new home.  I'll give you some basic chords to explain:

"Don't Cry" by: Kirk Franklin
Key Db / Bb minor  LH/RH

Why do you
Eb / Bb-Eb-Gb cry,  (2 / ii)  *Eb minor chord
Ab / Gb-Ab-Db-Eb   (5 / V7)  *Ab sus7 chord
/ Gb-Ab-C-Eb He has  *Ab7 chord
Db / Ab-Db-F risen,   (1 / I)  *Db major chord
Gb / F-Bb-Db why are you  (4 / IV)  *Gbmaj. 7 chord
C / Bb-Eb-Gb weeping,  (7 / vii)  *Cm7 (b5) or C half-diminished chord
F / Gb-A-C-Eb He's not  (3 / iii)  *F7 (b9) chord
Bb / F-Bb-D dead,  (6 / VI)  *Bb major chord
(repeat for whole song)

Now, look at that last chord.  Usually a 6 is supposed to be a minor chord, but here it's a major chord.  This is called a Picardy 3rd, when you end a song in a minor key with a major chord.  I hope this helps you out, if u still have questions, just ask!!!
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline Agape

• LGM Member
  • Outside The Box!
    • Agape Music Productions

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 05:04:03 PM »
Wow. Man.....you just dont know how much that helped me and the way you explaned it was exactly how i wanted it explained to me. That was a good seed you just sown into me. I appreciate the info man. God bless you for that. Thanks again...

Austin
Open-mindedness is the way to go!

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Lord Can Do All Things!

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 12:50:44 PM »
Welcome to LGM  Agape 

Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up