LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Should The Musicians Where Robes during Service?  (Read 13421 times)

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Lord Can Do All Things!

Re: Should The Musicians Where Robes during Service?
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2006, 11:39:39 PM »
Welcome to LGM  jan68
Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.

Offline georgiakentucky

• LGM Member

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2006, 11:03:11 PM »
Should musician wear robes? My friend we must remember that this is not a one size fits all question. What may work in one church may not necessarily work in another. However, at the church where I am the minister of music I usually wear a suit or at least a necktie that will coordinate with the choir's robe for that particular Sunday.

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member
  • Yaron MusicCo. Gospels Fresh Sound!

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2006, 11:26:31 PM »
Should musician wear robes? My friend we must remember that this is not a one size fits all question. What may work in one church may not necessarily work in another. However, at the church where I am the minister of music I usually wear a suit or at least a necktie that will coordinate with the choir's robe for that particular Sunday.

maybe its my lack of conviction but i would rather get fired for being able to worship God with having to be dressed by whoever decides what the choir wears when they dont function for the whole and dont wear there robes for the entire service either

Offline 1voice

• LGM Member
  • Home.....

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2006, 09:53:01 AM »

maybe its my lack of conviction but i would rather get fired for being able to worship God with having to be dressed by whoever decides what the choir wears when they dont function for the whole and dont wear there robes for the entire service either

simply put.. i just personally,think it looks better on a whole.I've seen some dynamic chiors,and the musicians got on tim's,baggy jeans,but the chior is matching ,or dressed to the nines.Maybe because i played in groups,before i played for the Lord,i'm just used to all of us matching,it just looked better.But as for a rhobe???never,it could definatly hinder a musician,but just looking neat,and matching,just addes a more appealling look.

my three cents
be blessed ya'll.
Let your voice, be one voice, to Glorify the Lord.

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2006, 02:55:47 PM »
Welcome to LGM,  georgiakentucky

Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.

Offline MinAJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2006, 01:16:03 PM »
Welcome to LGM withthesehands, angiey, bishop sam, Mzbabygrand, jan68, georgiakentucky, and anybody else I may have missed.

As a minister.......Sometimes I wear a robe, sometimes I wear a suit and tie.  It doesnt' bother me either way.  I stll sweat.

As a choir memeber.....Sometimes we wear a robe, sometimes we dress in regular dress clothes. Either way it doesn't bother me.  We still sweat.

As a muscian........We always wear regular dress clothing.  Never robes.  If we had a choice I wouldn't want to wear the robe while I play.  Either way we still sweat.
I think musicians have more obstacles than anyone else ie. keys, strings, foot pedal, etc.  If we hit a bad note, wrong string, or miss a beat, nobody tryin' hear "my robe got in the way".  The whooooole church just looks over in that direction. ::) ::)
Now unto him who is able...

Offline 2tight

• LGM Member

« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2006, 04:19:07 PM »
I dress like the choir sometimes.Other than that i wear whatever i want.I wouldn't want to wear a robe because i will get real hot.
Shannon moore

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2006, 10:37:13 PM »
Very good Points of view!

Offline tvbcmom

• LGM Member

« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2006, 03:47:56 PM »
For me the answer is no.  I used to wear a robe, but, it always got in the way of the foot pedals.  But the main reason I stopped was beccause it kept the heat from escaping, and once I almost passed out from the heat after playing a couple of fast songs for a long time.  I had to open up the robe and my clothes to quickly cool off.  I do wear a suit sometimes or matching type shirt and pants.  Be Blessed.

Offline sybesq

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Christian Romance/Pulsating Suspense

« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2006, 06:47:14 PM »
Welcome to LGM, tvbcmom!!!  God bless.  ;D
Sybil Bates McCormack, Lawyer/Writer/Minister's Wife/Mom
http://sybilbatesmccormack.wordpress.com

Offline MrSparrow

• LGM Member

« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2006, 06:39:11 AM »
NO WAY!

I play the organ/keys and unless their going to give me a short sleeve robe that won't get caught up with the pedal... It's not going to happen...

Good thing the I'm the M.O.M...

MrSparrow

Offline C-note jr.

• LGM Member

« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2007, 03:32:04 PM »
 I agree, The musicians at my church don't wear robes we dress alike on different occasions. Even going out to play for the pastor we usually wear the same color as he wears. But then again we are a contemporary church. Most of you your Baptist Churches require for their musicians to wear robes
C-note jr

Offline Sannysan1908

• LGM Member

« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2007, 09:24:36 PM »
This has become a big debate, should musicians where robes during service.

Some choirs say yes and some say no!

What do you think?

I am a part of a Ministry that said YES to the ROBES -- however only one Choir wear Robes -- most of the times, the musicians are in BLACK -- and HOT!!! from the sweat!!

Offline derrickford

• LGM Member

« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2007, 10:37:59 AM »
well its up to the musician but i dont feel we do but if you dress nice you shouldnt have to. but no we do  not have to .

Offline CRYCHI

• LGM Member
  • Child of God, striving to be more like Him

« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2007, 06:52:19 PM »
I happen to be a musician and choir director.  In most cases, I wear the same outfit as the choir for unity's sake.    However, the choir only wears robes for once or twice a month, and they wear coordinated colors (wardrobe calendar) for other Sundays.   For special occasions, we prefer the musicians to wear wear black, again for unity (we are in Chicago - it can get cold).

As it has been said, I do agree that the musicians should at least look appropriate for church, with allowances for comfort.    As my grandma used to say you have to be dressed well enough cause you are "before the people".

At my church, we are finally putting an end to Jerseys and sweatpants.  One musician goes to work after church, but should someone ever wear a neon-green jacket at church (he's a traffic management worker)....

May God continue to bless the LGM family.
CryChi
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Phil 4:13

Offline mcdonald910

• LGM Member

« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2007, 01:47:45 AM »
We'll my BIBLE reads "...come as you are".  Many musicians have been in the scene enough to know you need to look presentable.  Now as far as robes go, my church you have to pay for you own robes.  Also there are a handfull of groups that sing in a months time.  Like for example.  Praise team for devotion, childrens choir, Senior choir, Mass choir, and the adult choir.  If the musician had to pay for all of the outfits and robes  I doubt he/she would be able to afford it.  Stopping the music to put on a robe/shirt for the next group would cause a riff in the flow of the service to usher in the holy spirit. As many of us know that music changes the whole tone of the churches atmosphere. 

Finally, it should be a discussion between the pastor and the musicians as to what to wear.  Personally I feel like if they are presentable, they can play and praise the lord all the same   ;D

Offline organplaya04

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • **OP04**
    • Facebook

« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2007, 02:02:53 AM »
I say no ..I notice alot of choirs don't really wear robes anymore...so I hmm I don't know
Psalms 133:1 " Behold how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell(play)together in unity!!

Offline key-wiz

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • "KW"
    • http://www.learngospelmusic.com

« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2007, 10:23:43 AM »
Let Me Think.................................. ....................................... ........Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh No!!!
Abracadabra!!!! "Key-Wiz" The Magic Of Music

Offline amandaag

• LGM Member

« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2007, 05:07:16 PM »
i dont think musicians should wear robes. I don't think it is necessary.

Offline demusicman

• LGM Member
  • http://www.myspace.com/reverenceministry
    • http://www.myspace.com/demusicman

« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2007, 03:50:22 AM »
Well fortunately for the choirs that I play for most of them don't wear robes. So there is really no issue there. When I played for a church that did wear robes i normally could coordinate the robe color with a shirt and tie or something. However, as a musician I feel that it really can get in the way. For a brief period I played for a church wear I tried to wear a robe and it just didnt work for me. One of the last churches I played for tried to coax me into wearing a robe and I politely let them know that I would not be comfortable. However, I personally leave it up to the musician, whatever is comfortable for them. Just as long as they are dressed decent and presentable.
Daniel E. Smalls, Minister of Music & Worship Arts
Heaven Bound Ministries Worship Center
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up