LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What scales are mostly used in gospel on the bass?  (Read 11215 times)

Offline gospel-lover

• LGM Member

What scales are mostly used in gospel on the bass?
« on: August 07, 2006, 05:44:54 PM »
Hey everyone, I just wanted to know what scales are mostly used in gospel on the bass? So far I have Chromatic, Harmonic Minor, and Major. Would harmonic minor just be the same as Minor? If there is any scales I am missing please let me know so that I can practice those as well. Thankyou very much

Godbless,

Brittany

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

Re: What scales are mostly used in gospel on the bass?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 05:47:22 PM »
get to know and be very intimate with the Minor Penatonic scale!!!!!

Not to mention lern your modes. 

You'll find that Dorian is uised alot (in passing tones) as well as the mixolodian
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline Willie L. Terry Jr

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 06:23:38 PM »
Ionian, Aeolian, Minor Pens, Blues
Psalms 144:1  Blessed be the Lord my rock who teaches my hands to war and my FINGAZ to fight!

Offline thomas1168

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 10:58:29 AM »
be very care full not to limit yourself or confuse your self alot of songs use tetra chords poly chords ect two chord super imposed over one another
pay attention how the inversions are all of the time I would assume that they were playing a  example dom 7 in fact is was just a major 3rd inversion
This is my advise

Figure out chord progression / key of song / changes /whole song

determine what mode that they are using within the key

Offline djgroovin

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 06:21:13 AM »
You should really focus more on the chords.  You can relate the scale you want to use to the chords that are being played.  Major & Minor Pentatonic scales are widely used as well as the blues scales for fills and solos.

Offline djgroovin

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 06:42:53 AM »
Hey everyone, I just wanted to know what scales are mostly used in gospel on the bass? So far I have Chromatic, Harmonic Minor, and Major. Would harmonic minor just be the same as Minor? If there is any scales I am missing please let me know so that I can practice those as well. Thankyou very much

Godbless,

Brittany

The harmonic minor scale is a minor scale because of the flattened 3rd...but the Aeolian scale (6th mode of the Major Scale) is the Natural Minor scale.

Try out the pentonic and blues scales

Offline cogicguy

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 09:31:35 PM »
I know there are thousands of scales, but for that question I just got very confused. Because the question was which scales are mostly used, and I see over 10 were  named..so is the answer, alot of sclaes are use for gospel
No weapon formed against me shall prosper

Offline djgroovin

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 09:51:55 AM »
I know there are thousands of scales, but for that question I just got very confused. Because the question was which scales are mostly used, and I see over 10 were  named..so is the answer, alot of sclaes are use for gospel
Most traditional gospel songs use a Major key, so you would use a Major scale for the bassline.  Songs like "Can't nobody do me like Jesus", "Jesus on the mainline"...you know the gospel meadly.  The major pentatonic scale is often used for fills and runs on these types of songs (try the major pentatonic scale starting from the root).  You can also use the minor pentatonic scale and the blues scale for more variety (try the blues and minor pentatonic scales starting from the 2nd note of the major scale).  You can mix it up a bit according to what you like.

Hope that helps some.

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 10:43:26 AM »

Godbless,

Brittany

Without getting into too much theory, you can find almost everything you need within the major scale.  If a song is in a minor key, there is a related major scale and within that you will find the minor scale; all of the notes are the same but just played starting from a different tonic.  Regarding the harmonic minor: it is simply a minor scale with a raised 7th (major7).  I find that the harmonic minor is good for adding a strong emotional flavor or for playing over minor 7 to dominant 7 chord changes.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline cogicguy

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 03:56:05 PM »
Most traditional gospel songs use a Major key, so you would use a Major scale for the bassline.  Songs like "Can't nobody do me like Jesus", "Jesus on the mainline"...you know the gospel meadly.  The major pentatonic scale is often used for fills and runs on these types of songs (try the major pentatonic scale starting from the root).  You can also use the minor pentatonic scale and the blues scale for more variety (try the blues and minor pentatonic scales starting from the 2nd note of the major scale).  You can mix it up a bit according to what you like.

Someone needs to vote djgroovin for mayor, that brotha info is always on point. Got two questions, what is more effective, obtaining a scale book or a chord chart? And I just purchase a Scale book, So i should learn all the major scales and major pentatonic scales and since my church does alot of songs in b flat..what should I practice for that key? ?/?

Offline cogicguy

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 04:07:44 PM »
OOps, B flat and E flat

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 04:43:01 PM »
what should I practice for that key? ?/?

ok, i'm going to let you in on a secret here..you ready?

DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE KEY ;D ;D ;D

on the bass it's all patterns.  When you start thinking too much about what only works in on key you'll start to set up creative blocks for yourself.  Pracitce one thing and just move it up and down the neck in the same pattern that you played it first.

Now with that being said.....you should learn your scales before chords.  The scales and modes will let you move about while just learning chords chords will hold you back for a bit.
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline djgroovin

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 07:31:07 PM »
Someone needs to vote djgroovin for mayor, that brotha info is always on point. Got two questions, what is more effective, obtaining a scale book or a chord chart? And I just purchase a Scale book, So i should learn all the major scales and major pentatonic scales and since my church does alot of songs in b flat..what should I practice for that key?
Mayor - HA, HA!
It is good to learn them all.  It's really not as daunting as it may seem.
 - this is how I would approach Bb

Chord tones of Bb(triad)
Bb - root
D -  major 3rd
F - 5th

Scale choice - Note -  I can really choose any scale with a major 3rd starting on Bb (has to sound good to your ear).  The chord is what matters.
Bb maj
Bb C D Eb F G A

Solo/fill ideas (just a few)
Bb major pentatonic
C dorian (C is the 2nd scale tone in Bb and is built off of a minor chord)
C minor pentatonic
G Aeolian (G is the 6th scale tone in Bb and is built off of a minor chord - relative minor)
G minor pentatonic

it is also a good idea to try scale ideas off of the other chord tones in Bb
D phygian
F mixolydian

on the bass it's all patterns.  When you start thinking too much about what only works in on key you'll start to set up creative blocks for yourself.  Pracitce one thing and just move it up and down the neck in the same pattern that you played it first.
Great advice...my instructor advised me to learn the notes by name as well as the pattern

Now with that being said.....you should learn your scales before chords.  The scales and modes will let you move about while just learning chords chords will hold you back for a bit.
I have to disagree with this though.  Music revolves around the chords.  Scale tones are there to support the chords within them and lets you know what sounds good next to the chord.  I would strongly suggest to learn the sounds of chords first.  It may not be as fun because you don't get to play as many notes but they are the foundation of music.

Offline BassAddict

• LGM Member
    • Myspace

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2006, 09:47:07 PM »
Mayor - HA, HA!
It is good to learn them all.  It's really not as daunting as it may seem.
 - this is how I would approach Bb

Chord tones of Bb(triad)
Bb - root
D -  major 3rd
F - 5th

Scale choice - Note -  I can really choose any scale with a major 3rd starting on Bb (has to sound good to your ear).  The chord is what matters.
Bb maj
Bb C D Eb F G A

Solo/fill ideas (just a few)
Bb major pentatonic
C dorian (C is the 2nd scale tone in Bb and is built off of a minor chord)
C minor pentatonic
G Aeolian (G is the 6th scale tone in Bb and is built off of a minor chord - relative minor)
G minor pentatonic

it is also a good idea to try scale ideas off of the other chord tones in Bb
D phygian
F mixolydian

Oh Lord I think I just got a revalation...don't you know how 19 ppl can tell you the same thing, but when the 20th person tells you the light finally turns on?...Well I think I just got it! Thanks Bro. your a Godsend.
Acts 4:12

Offline thomas1168

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2006, 12:04:13 PM »
JEREM IS DEAD DEAD ON AND THE POST BY EVERYONE IS DEAD ON ALSO BUT
IF YOU START THINKING KEYS LIKE MY MAN SAID YOU WILL GET STUCK
YOU WILL GET STUCK

MOST SONGS WE PLAY HAVE A MIN OF 3 KEY CHANGES PER SONG

AND ALOT THE KEYBOARD PLAYER WILL MOVE TO SUIT THE VOCAL RANGES OF THE PRAISE TEAM

PAY ATTENTION TO THE CHORDS YOU ARE HEARING
Pages: [1]   Go Up