LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 million altos and 1 soprano, why do sopranos get the melody  (Read 6790 times)

Mim

2 million altos and 1 soprano, why do sopranos get the melody
« on: August 18, 2006, 04:28:40 PM »
Of course my subject line is a bit exaggerated, well extremely exaggerated, but why not give the melody to the altos if you have more of them and the congregation is supposed to be following the choir?  If the choir is only for "specials", fine. Give the melody to the soprano(s).  But if the choir is leading the congregation in worship why not have the majority of the choir singing the melody so the majority of the congregation can comfortably sing the song as well and worhsip God without trying to hit the same "high note" the sopranos are trying to "hit".  Why make our congregations struggle  to hear the melody when they are supposed to be concentrating on worshipping God?  Of course I know not all choirs are this way, but there are a lot that are.      Any thoughts on the matter?

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

Re: 2 million altos and 1 soprano, why do sopranos get the melody
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 06:28:48 PM »
I say if you can rearrange the song to do that, and it works, go for it!  Our altos are a little on the weak side, depending on who is in place for a given service.  Most of the sopranos could hold it down on their own if they had to so if you have at least two or three of them, they're okay.  But the altos, most of them are dependent on one person, if that person is absent, they really struggle.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 06:51:07 PM »
I'll add that a lot of altos are, in reality, closet sopranos. They're just lazy. Move some of those altos.  ;)
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline bishopcole

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • YES INDEED!!! AND THATS A RAP!!!

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 10:19:44 PM »
I'll add that a lot of altos are, in reality, closet sopranos. They're just lazy. Move some of those altos.  ;)

You are right Sj, most altos are comfortable singing talk tone voice chords than to start widening their ranges by singing d-high f's. Now as Sj STATED start taking some of those altos through singing drills and allow them to sing up the scale as far as they can and then you will be able from there to weed out.  Bishop Cole
"Stay in God Always"  - Bishop Lamar Cole
"It's not about the Music, it's about the Ministry"

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 11:25:44 PM »

Good answer!  Good Answer!!!

Survey says..... :D :D
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline 2KlubKlarity

• LGM Member
  • Green Eyed Divinity
    • Let me know who you are & where you are from (lgm)

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 12:03:29 AM »
This is so funny to see because it is like this in church, but when you get to like my school's choir everybody and they momma think they a soprano. That section is like 2 x bigger than the altos, but also the altos are also that good to belt it out in few numbers. We got it like that, but I can't speak for either section. Seems i'm considered to be in both. Usually the melody is in the soprano line because that is how music is usually written. You write the soprano and the bass, and then add the inner voices, or at least that is how I was taught. Anyybody I guess can have the melody.
"Prayer is the key. Faith unlocks the door."

Offline hanie_love4

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 02:06:05 PM »

well i personally dont see anything wrong with that. yes, although the church is suppossed to be following the choir in worship it doesnt mean the melody therefore has to be given to majority. what i say is if the 1 soprano can sing the melody best, why not give it to the sopranoist?

Mim

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 02:56:55 PM »
Be that as it may, according to a small survey I ran across somewhere on this site, most people say they are altos.  Treat the altos special for a while and allow them to sing the easy part/melody.  I betcha they’ll lay a whoopin’ on your strong sopranos!   

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 04:42:01 PM »
Be that as it may, according to a small survey I ran across somewhere on this site, most people say they are altos.  Treat the altos special for a while and allow them to sing the easy part/melody.  I betcha they’ll lay a whoopin’ on your strong sopranos!   

I get the feeling there's a bit of bias here.  ;) Because, if we go with your argument, then why not give the melody to the TENORS? Or, better yet, why isn't there a BASS section in gospel music (minus the use of quartets)?  ;)

As Nessa stated, if you can rearrange the vocals so that altos can sing the melody every once and again. However, harmonically speaking, the melody line is usually found on top, hence the sopranos sing that line.

Be Blessed
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline bishopcole

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 10:35:19 PM »

well i personally dont see anything wrong with that. yes, although the church is suppossed to be following the choir in worship it doesnt mean the melody therefore has to be given to majority. what i say is if the 1 soprano can sing the melody best, why not give it to the sopranoist?

Welcome to Lgm!!!   Bishop Cole

Mim

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006, 02:13:34 PM »
People, people, people….

“…although the church is suppossed to be following the choir in worship it doesn’t mean the melody therefore has to be given to majority…”  and generally the melody ISN’T given to the majority.
“what i say is if the 1 soprano can sing the melody best, why not give it to the sopranoist?”       How does anyone know that the soprano sings the melody best if they have never compared the soprano singing the melody to an alto singing the melody, not soprano melody to alto harmony?
“I get the feeling there's a bit of bias here.;)”   Nope, nope, nope. According to my voice teachers, my voice range is quite wide but I am classified as soprano.
“Because, if we go with your argument, then why not give the melody to the TENORS? Or, better yet, why isn't there a BASS section in gospel music (minus the use of quartets)?”  If the tenors were the majority of the congregation, I would be saying let the tenors have the melody sometime.
“As Nessa stated, if you can rearrange the vocals so that altos can sing the melody every once and again.”  Done it AND was told how wonderful it was.  Try it. You might like it. Your congregation might like it. Come on worship leaders/choir directors/ and musicians.  Broaden those horizons.
“However, harmonically speaking, the melody line is usually found on top, hence the sopranos sing that line.”  Come on, let’s mix it up a little.  How much effort to spice things up sayyyyy, ohhhhh, once a year.       You know, if no one ever did anything differently musically, we’d never have anything different musically.   Well, at least I got you all thinking.  I know you probably won’t change anything, but you did take time to think about it.                 

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Lord Can Do All Things!

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 05:02:21 PM »
Welcome to LGM   hanie_love4
Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2006, 06:44:58 PM »
Sounds like you have your answer.  You've done it, and it worked for you.  Thanks for sharing with us, someone else may be dealing with the same issue.

CreoleChica

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2006, 08:09:59 PM »

I like you! :D

Offline bishopcole

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2006, 08:23:52 PM »
People, people, people….

“…although the church is suppossed to be following the choir in worship it doesn’t mean the melody therefore has to be given to majority…”  and generally the melody ISN’T given to the majority.
“what i say is if the 1 soprano can sing the melody best, why not give it to the sopranoist?”       How does anyone know that the soprano sings the melody best if they have never compared the soprano singing the melody to an alto singing the melody, not soprano melody to alto harmony?
“I get the feeling there's a bit of bias here.;)”   Nope, nope, nope. According to my voice teachers, my voice range is quite wide but I am classified as soprano.
“Because, if we go with your argument, then why not give the melody to the TENORS? Or, better yet, why isn't there a BASS section in gospel music (minus the use of quartets)?”  If the tenors were the majority of the congregation, I would be saying let the tenors have the melody sometime.
“As Nessa stated, if you can rearrange the vocals so that altos can sing the melody every once and again.”  Done it AND was told how wonderful it was.  Try it. You might like it. Your congregation might like it. Come on worship leaders/choir directors/ and musicians.  Broaden those horizons.
“However, harmonically speaking, the melody line is usually found on top, hence the sopranos sing that line.”  Come on, let’s mix it up a little.  How much effort to spice things up sayyyyy, ohhhhh, once a year.       You know, if no one ever did anything differently musically, we’d never have anything different musically.   Well, at least I got you all thinking.  I know you probably won’t change anything, but you did take time to think about it.                

Now remember Min that all I did as well as some others did is answer your question that you asked. I am very open to what I will do in music and will change a song in a second!  I do agree with you wholeheartdly!!  God bless,  Bishop Cole

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2006, 08:25:49 PM »
Sounds like you have your answer.  You've done it, and it worked for you.  Thanks for sharing with us, someone else may be dealing with the same issue.

So, what was the point of this post?  ?/?
Pages: [1]   Go Up