LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I CORINTHIANS 11:4-5(What is wrong with Todays church?)  (Read 1797 times)

Offline oversabby

• LGM Member

I CORINTHIANS 11:4-5(What is wrong with Todays church?)
« on: August 08, 2006, 09:18:21 AM »
Hello guys!
I was going through this part of the bible and I observe that much attention is laid on Brothers taking off thier caps During Prayers/worship time and less attention on telling sisters to cover thier head.
I was once told that a womans Hair is the covering the bible was talking about.If that is the case ,then all brothers shouldn´t have hair(skin head).Another excuse was that every good loking sister wouldn´t like to cover her good styled hair since it could affect her look.
Can somebody through more light on this topic

Offline lumbebear1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • A Merry Heart makes Good Medicine

Re: I CORINTHIANS 11:4-5(What is wrong with Todays church?)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 02:52:31 PM »

1 Corinthians 11
11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
2 Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.
3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.
5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven
6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

Commentary provided by Matthew Henry:

Verses 2-16 Here begin particulars respecting the public assemblies, ch. 14. In the abundance of spiritual gifts bestowed on the Corinthians, some abuses had crept in; but as Christ did the will, and sought the honour of God, so the Christian should avow his subjection to Christ, doing his will and seeking his glory. We should, even in our dress and habit, avoid every thing that may dishonour Christ. The woman was made subject to man, because made for his help and comfort. And she should do nothing, in Christian assemblies, which looked like a claim of being equal. She ought to have "power," that is, a veil, on her head, because of the angels. Their presence should keep Christians from all that is wrong while in the worship of God. Nevertheless, the man and the woman were made for one another. They were to be mutual comforts and blessings, not one a slave, and the other a tyrant. God has so settled matters, both in the kingdom of providence and that of grace, that the authority and subjection of each party should be for mutual help and benefit. It was the common usage of the churches, for women to appear in public assemblies, and join in public worship, veiled; and it was right that they should do so. The Christian religion sanctions national customs wherever these are not against the great principles of truth and holiness; affected singularities receive no countenance from any thing in the Bible.

Commentary provided by Wycliff:

But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
The head of the woman is the man. The theological basis for the wearing of a covering. Man's headship goes back to Gen 3:16. 4. The man, too, has an order to follow; his head must not be covered. Men must not preach with their hats on! 5. Prayeth or prophesieth does not mean that Paul approved these actions by women in public worship. Rather, he was simply referring to what was going on at Corinth unauthorized (cf. 1 Cor 14:34-35). Her head. The women's physical head, not her husband. 6. Let her also be shorn. A disgrace for a woman. Paul's ironical words to the rebellious. He is saying, "Make the reproach complete, then.

Offline biblethumpa

• LGM Member
  • At my boring job tryn to make the best of it...

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 01:26:44 PM »
Hello guys!
I was going through this part of the bible and I observe that much attention is laid on Brothers taking off thier caps During Prayers/worship time and less attention on telling sisters to cover thier head.
I was once told that a womans Hair is the covering the bible was talking about.If that is the case ,then all brothers shouldn´t have hair(skin head).Another excuse was that every good loking sister wouldn´t like to cover her good styled hair since it could affect her look.
Can somebody through more light on this topic

SO MY QUESTION IS WHY ARNT THE WOMEN COVERING THEIR HEADS....?

Offline david johnson

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 01:44:20 PM »
i wouldn't be especially concerned over a 1st century, middle-eastern cultural preference paul had of either male or female congregational fashion.
i have visited churches where some really old ladies would sit with a lace 'hanky' unfolded upon their head.  i don't remember what it was called.

dj

Offline cmeredith24

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 04:22:11 AM »
I once heard the story about an Jamaican minister who was one of their preciding bishops of this particular organization. Well the story
goes that , it is required that all jamaican sisters are to wear hats while attending services this is their custom (belief).
Well one day the minister was asked to come to America to preach at a convention. He responded with a resounding yes! The story
goes, when the minister got to convention  he noticed that the women were not wearing hats! This disturbed the minister greatly.
  He thought that all America christians were going to hell, by reason of not wearing a hat. Too often our church leaders are caught
up on tradition more so than what the bible has to say about these issues.

Offline 1stgiftedchild

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 10:59:32 PM »
Too often our church leaders are caught
up on tradition more so than what the bible has to say about these issues.

oh so true.

1 Corinthians 11

4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.
5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven
6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
The head of the woman is the man.

so therefore a womans hair is her head covering (15 But if a woman has long hair, it is her ornament and glory? For her hair is given to her for a covering), and if she cuts it of its dishonour to her head which is Man, not God (even though God is head of us all)

but  verse  13 says Consider for yourselves; is it proper and decent [according to your customs] for a woman to offer prayer to God [publicly] with her head uncovered? :-\ :-\ ?/?

my mum alwas had my head covered wen i was lil, but now i dont (to my mumz disgust), i have a few times but choir master dont like it.

Another excuse was that every good loking sister wouldn´t like to cover her good styled hair since it could affect her look.

?/? ?/? ?/? ?/?

(1 Timothy 2: 9-10)
I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, 10 but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God. Paul was basically saying that there aint no space for vanity in church. (as for earrings Back in thoses days there was like no such thing as simple stud, it was like big ole beauty-pageant type tings.)

by all means take care of the temple the Lord has given you, but dont let it become ur main focus. Too many church folk see Church as a catwalk, who look better than who. they be like "look what she wearing, thats sooo last year, those colour dont match!!" who cares?!

Offline pentecost_piano123

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 03:26:08 PM »
Hi I am a UPC and I wanted to say that scripture is talking Hair. Having your head coverd means to have long uncut hair and having your head uncovered means to have short cut hair.  It says in that in scripture that having your head uncovered is the same as if it shorn or shaved.
So it has to be talking about hair.  For a women having her hair uncut is her glory and it is because of the angels...  :)

Offline lumbebear1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • A Merry Heart makes Good Medicine

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 04:37:16 PM »
Hi I am a UPC and I wanted to say that scripture is talking Hair. Having your head coverd means to have long uncut hair and having your head uncovered means to have short cut hair.  It says in that in scripture that having your head uncovered is the same as if it shorn or shaved.
So it has to be talking about hair.  For a women having her hair uncut is her glory and it is because of the angels...  :)

Welcome to LGM

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Lord Can Do All Things!

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 05:09:25 PM »
Welcome to LGM   pentecost_piano123

Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up