LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nobody Cooks ??? Like My Mama (Granma, Auntie, etc.)  (Read 506 times)

Offline ndel

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Nobody Cooks ??? Like My Mama (Granma, Auntie, etc.)
« on: August 20, 2006, 09:55:40 PM »
I guess everyone has a special dish or menu that nobody can cook like mama, (granma, auntie, etc.)
Nobody can touch my mama's fried chicken!  Not even KFC! It has just the right combination  of spices, cooked to a golden crispy brown, so good you even chew up the little bitty tiny bones in some of the pieces.

Mama's sho nuff  throw down, I mean business, and usually after church Sunday menu was  Mama's famous fried chicken, fried corn, turnip greens with just a little mustard greens added in  for more flavor, sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, onions with vinegar, hot water  cornbread, and  banana pudding and a big old glass of iced tea.  All I got to say is mmmm, mmmmm GOOD!!!!!!!!

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Lord Can Do All Things!

Re: Nobody Cooks ??? Like My Mama (Granma, Auntie, etc.)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 10:09:59 PM »
Welcome to LGM    ndel 

Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.

Offline ndel

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 11:15:25 PM »
So what's your favorite dish and menu that only YO' MAMA can make?

Offline keptbyJesus

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 08:23:09 AM »
I guess everyone has a special dish or menu that nobody can cook like mama, (granma, auntie, etc.)
Nobody can touch my mama's fried chicken!  Not even KFC! It has just the right combination  of spices, cooked to a golden crispy brown, so good you even chew up the little bitty tiny bones in some of the pieces.

Mama's sho nuff  throw down, I mean business, and usually after church Sunday menu was  Mama's famous fried chicken, fried corn, turnip greens with just a little mustard greens added in  for more flavor, sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, onions with vinegar, hot water  cornbread, and  banana pudding and a big old glass of iced tea.  All I got to say is mmmm, mmmmm GOOD!!!!!!!!

First of all ndel, welcome to the family of LGM.

Second, It is 8:45am here, and after reading this, I AM SOOO HUNGRY for some fried corn.

But mama can throw down, on Sweet Potato pie, so good that nobody in the church is allowed to make any but her, REALLY.  She also can tare up the following, Fried Corn, Fried Okra, Fried Green Tomatoes, Baked Chicken, and Apple/Peach Cobbler  8)   just to name a few. 

Now my sister, she got the mac & cheese and dressing and potato salad. 

I got the meatloaf, roast, turkey & dressing, cheesecake, fried cabbage, fried potatoes, and greens. (my nick name at work is "Brotha Greens"  ;).  And then when I bring in leftovers to work for ma lunch, I get asked, "did you make that yourself" and I respond  ::)  :-\ "Ah yes I did" then they say "wow, I'm impressed, a man that can cook"  and then I respond and sit down,  :-\ "I gotta eat, and a woman don't like a man that can't cook"   ;)

Man, I am hungry, I think I am gonna cook tonight.
If it had not been for the Lord on my side, where would I be!!!

Offline ReddGirl

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Keep on smiling!

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 10:30:45 AM »
PLEASE stop talking about all this good food.

Welcome ndel!  I have the hardest time making fried chicken. Can you help me out? What does Momma do?

Offline keptbyJesus

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 10:46:50 AM »

Welcome ndel!  I have the hardest time making fried chicken. Can you help me out? What does Momma do?

I'm wit you Sis. Redd, I can't get the fried chicken or fried pork chops I am not sure what I am doing wrong, mama says that I have the fire to high, so I turn it down and it stilll don't work.  They come out with all the flour on the bottom of the pan.  :-\    So I don't fool with fried chops or chix.   8)
If it had not been for the Lord on my side, where would I be!!!

Offline ndel

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 04:16:32 PM »
I really believe that the secret to mama's  cooking is that she never gets in a hurry.  she always takes her time.   After properly washing the chicken (I say this because my mama showed me a raw chicken thigh and there are  two little pockets on a thigh that are  filled with congealed blood that she always cleans out.  There are some people who don't do this and they wind up with two little bits that look like fried  liver  when  the thigh gets done) she takes each piece individually and shakes salt and pepper evenly all over it, (I don't know what her secret spices are  :'( :'() but after everything is  all seasoned up just right, she  shakes the pieces individually in a plastic bag with plain flour.    The oil that you use  for frying  has to be hot, if not your chicken will stick and fry up gummy.  Another thing I've seen mama do is wait until one side is crisp and brown before turning the pieces.  My mother  watches the  food as it cooks, she's not one to put the chicken in the skillet and go do something else, she's constantly keeping up with how it's doing.   This is not a commercial for Crisco, BUT, my mama won't use nothin' else but the Crisco.   Another secret is to be sure that you use enough Crisco   oil that the chicken is able to fry evenly.

I'm wit you Sis. Redd, I can't get the fried chicken or fried pork chops I am not sure what I am doing wrong, mama says that I have the fire to high, so I turn it down and it stilll don't work.  They come out with all the flour on the bottom of the pan.  :-\    So I don't fool with fried chops or chix.   8)

Pages: [1]   Go Up