LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EMBARASSED while playing, but It helped me.  (Read 1610 times)

rjthakid

EMBARASSED while playing, but It helped me.
« on: August 16, 2006, 11:16:48 AM »
On Friday night, we had a Missions Service, and another church came by with their choir.  They didn't bring their drummer.

I got to the service late, so our alternate drummer was on the kit.  (He really only plays when I'm not there).

They sang He Reigns Forever.

My alternate didn't know the song and he was up there trying, but it's one of those songs you have to KNOW to be able to play properly, so I went up and took over.

I was playing too loud  :-[

The Choir Director had to look over at me and say: "You're playing too loud."

I was SO embarassed.  Man, just thinking about it. 

My mother, wife, sister, and even my Bishop told me that I did a great job on the song, but they aren't musicians.  I personally knew that I came up there hittin the drums like they stole something, and I overshadowed the choir.

It was embarassing, but I learned something.  On Sunday Morning I played better than I EVER have.  I'm now determined to not only regulate my tempo and licks, but to make sure my volume is never overbearing.

It's better for someone to have to tell me to play LOUDER, than for them to have to tell me I'm playing too loud.

For all the up and comers (and even the vets), If I could give you a word of advice: DON'T OVERPLAY.

I learned the hard way.   :D  :D  :D

Offline erickicks

• LGM Member

Re: EMBARASSED while playing, but It helped me.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 02:11:38 PM »
dude tried to sit down on this kit at this church and I leaned on this thing that was holding a flower. I thought it was sturdy and it wasn't when it moved I moved and fell in front by my moniter in front of the whole church....talk about being embarrassed. I called my wife on the way home and we laughed about it the entire time I drove home..now that was embarrasing

I'm cracking up just thinking about it.....that was sooo funny....my ears were soo hot after everyone was smiling and trying not to laugh...and some people just laughed.... 

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 04:55:17 PM »
Didnt happen to me, but I was there.....

We had a preacher that was bringing a fiery message when all of a sudden, his front dentures came flying out!!!!!!!!! The pulpit area is elevated by about 28"...they landed halfway between the pulpit and the first front pew....

So the preacher says, "Oh, dont worry about that, its just my teeth" He walked down to his teeth, grabbed them, put them back in his mouth and kept on going!!!!!!!! He didnt miss a beat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone was cracking up. I felt quite embarrassed for him, but, it didnt seem to phase him.

Offline Natejam71

• LGM Member
  • Anointed Gospel Musician
    • Anointed Gospel Musician (AGM)

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 05:06:42 PM »
Been there, done that!!!  Those kind of experiences are some of the best ways to learn.  Those kinds of lessons one never forgets.. When a situation like that happens you pay more attention to other things that one needs to look out for.  Those kinds of lesson don't feel good, but they can help you.  Make sure you don't criticize yourself to the point where you become timid and overconcious.  Stay blessed, Nate J.

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 07:20:57 PM »
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline smarkland38

• LGM Member
    • myspace.com

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 07:21:42 PM »
Each experience we have weather it's embarrassing or not help us to stay humble and grow as drummers/musicians.That we can give the younger drummers advice and counsel.
I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST THAT STRENGTHENS ME!!!

www.myspace.com/sidmark

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 07:33:20 PM »
I tend to lean back when I play. I was using a Dixon throne with a back rest at a huge convention. I was playing for a popular worship leader at the time Tim Schwindt. So imagine; middle of a worship song, hands a raised and them boom! The rivet on the leg busted and down my fat self went flat on my back middle of a song! The sound man was a drummer too, he came up to me after and found out what had happened. He said to me he thought I had fallen in the spirit whiles playing and that he was envious cause the spirit never hit him whiles he was playing before.
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

rjthakid

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 07:34:03 PM »
Thanks for the encouraging words Nate & Smarkland.   :)

Offline smarkland38

• LGM Member
    • myspace.com

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 05:23:01 PM »

Your welcome rjthakid! STAY ENCOURAGED BRO
I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST THAT STRENGTHENS ME!!!

www.myspace.com/sidmark

Offline Natejam71

• LGM Member
  • Anointed Gospel Musician
    • Anointed Gospel Musician (AGM)

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 10:19:53 PM »
No doubt! Stay Encouraged and Stay blessed, Nate J.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 10:37:18 AM »
I tend to lean back when I play. I was using a Dixon throne with a back rest at a huge convention. I was playing for a popular worship leader at the time Tim Schwindt. So imagine; middle of a worship song, hands a raised and them boom! The rivet on the leg busted and down my fat self went flat on my back middle of a song! The sound man was a drummer too, he came up to me after and found out what had happened. He said to me he thought I had fallen in the spirit whiles playing and that he was envious cause the spirit never hit him whiles he was playing before.

:D :D :D :D :'( ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D fallen in the spirit  :D :D :D :D :D
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

rjthakid

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 10:42:44 AM »

Man I didn't see this.  lol.  Did they have another throne?  If not, what did you play on?

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2006, 10:44:33 PM »
Correction only makes us better.

Embarassment is a bruised ego thing we all battle that ego thing however I am learning how deep it's rooted and how much it affects our growth. Keep digging in that respect...

As far as you focus... Focus on the big picture.
Do not just focus on your levels and let other things fall off, overall balance in technique/musicality/feel/precision are the goal. Complete oneness with the music/instrument. The answer to this type of situation is to never play louder than the lowest instrument. If you can hear everyone then you are at a good levelgropu wise. Next thing is to work on your independence levels. Make sure the hihat and kick do not get burried by the snare (Which is what happens at most urban churches and rock shows. Jan 2006 Modern Drummer has excellent article that touches on this topic of kit leveling entitled something like, Getting A Good Drum Sound. Check it out. Note that these voice (hihat, kick, snare, ride) may need to change from one song to the next based on the dynamic feel and motif/atmospher of that particular performance. 
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline ebichies

• LGM Member
  • jdrummer

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2006, 07:32:19 AM »
Drummers jokes right here! :D ;D :)  Never had so much laugh from a gospel website.

I've learnt moderation from here.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
He calls me "friend".

rjthakid

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2006, 09:48:47 AM »
Correction only makes us better.

Embarassment is a bruised ego thing we all battle that ego thing however I am learning how deep it's rooted and how much it affects our growth. Keep digging in that respect...

As far as you focus... Focus on the big picture.
Do not just focus on your levels and let other things fall off, overall balance in technique/musicality/feel/precision are the goal. Complete oneness with the music/instrument. The answer to this type of situation is to never play louder than the lowest instrument. If you can hear everyone then you are at a good levelgropu wise. Next thing is to work on your independence levels. Make sure the hihat and kick do not get burried by the snare (Which is what happens at most urban churches and rock shows. Jan 2006 Modern Drummer has excellent article that touches on this topic of kit leveling entitled something like, Getting A Good Drum Sound. Check it out. Note that these voice (hihat, kick, snare, ride) may need to change from one song to the next based on the dynamic feel and motif/atmospher of that particular performance. 

I really appreciate the knowledge.  Thanks man.
Pages: [1]   Go Up