LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey Cirrus vs. Fender Jazz Deluxe  (Read 6600 times)

TorontosFinest

Peavey Cirrus vs. Fender Jazz Deluxe
« on: August 22, 2006, 09:25:33 PM »
Lets get ready to ruuuummmmbbbblllleeee!!!!

In the red corner we have Peavey Cirrus, known for its great craftmanship and very exotic look.  Also has a very deep bass tone and its exceptional highs.  Known to be very reliable and solid.  Built with a thru neck and 18 volt circuitry.  In the blue corner, we have the heavyweight, Fender Jazz Deluxe.  Known for its great range of tones, extremley reliable and has a sound that is very distinguishable.

Here is the dillema that I have:
I am ready to purchase one of the following basses, I just want to hear your opinions on either one.  I am a seasoned bass player so I know what to look for as far as wood, electronics, tones etc. etc. I have played the Fender really like the sound of it, however my biggest pet peev is that B string is horrible.  Very loose and not good for thumping or slapping.  I am yet to play the Cirrus but I have heard good things about it, except that some ppl had problems with the electronics. 

If anyone has played the Cirrus, please give your views on this bass.  I know there is someone on the site named Cirrus6 (I think that is your name). Please give your opinion on this bass.

Thanks!

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

Re: Peavey Cirrus vs. Fender Jazz Deluxe
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 09:57:19 PM »
Hands down, The Peavey Cirus wins this one by a K.O.!! I don't own one but have played several and the playability, sound and construction was way above anything Fender could put out. Having said that, I do own a Fender Jazz (passive) and it's my 'slapper' and 'solo' bass but my main bass is a Yamaha TRB5 which compares with the Peavey! Also, if you're talking 5 strings, completely forget the Fender! Their B's are horrible!
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 09:59:49 PM »
One more thing, if you do have problems with the electronics, a good tech or luthier can easilly fix it or just replace the pre with one of your choice! I believe the Peavey to have a better resalve value as well!

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 10:29:21 PM »
I'd go with the Fender IF you wanted a 4 string, I'd go with the Peavey if you wanted a 5 string.

Just my 2 cents

Offline carlmack7183

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Carl's Business

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 10:38:53 PM »
You said that you like the Fender sound, so if I were you I would get the Fender. In my opinion the Cirrus can't touch it the Fender and as far as the B-string that can easily be adjusted to fit your liking. I have both and my Cirrus is strictly a back-up. Both are five string, but the minute I got my Fender I had her B-String adjusted for a better feel. Its all about personal preference, and I prefer my Fender strictly based on sound and versatility.

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 10:43:52 PM »
Here's my take.  Since you are considering the Peavey Cirrus, how about check out a Lakland or the Pavel Jazz Pro 5.  Both of those basses are around the price of the Cirrus.  Granted, you didn't mention neither of the two, but I would try these as well.  I've heard that these basses sound good.  I'm considering one myself.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline play4zero

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 12:13:49 AM »
The Lakland 5501 is a very good instrument.  The nice thing about both the Peavey and the Fender is that they are American made instruments (personal bias).  You sound like a very knowledgeable consumer who simply needs to play a Peavey to complete your information.  I think you'll make a better decision than we can make here.
Ezekiel 3:12

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 06:58:50 AM »
get the schecter ;D ;D ;D
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 09:24:16 AM »
get the schecter ;D ;D ;D

we need endorsement deals from schecter, cuz I'm always talking about mine. ;D ;D

Offline ladybass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My Bass Grooves

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 10:26:15 AM »
The salesman from Guitar Center was trying to get me to buy a schecter.  What do you guys like about it?

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2006, 11:23:39 AM »
The salesman from Guitar Center was trying to get me to buy a schecter.  What do you guys like about it?

I like that I have a neck-thru, great sounding bass at a reasonable price.  It has the EMG-HZ pickups with active eq section that punches.  And it looks beautiful.  It sounds great especially when it is played through a tubed amp.

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 11:30:03 AM »
I like that I have a neck-thru, great sounding bass at a reasonable price.  It has the EMG-HZ pickups with active eq section that punches.  And it looks beautiful.  It sounds great especially when it is played through a tubed amp.

A-M-E-N

to me it's the MOST comfortable bass I've picked up.  I like the feel on it more than all those warwicks, Guild, Fender.

The only other Bass' that have come close to meeting the comofort level of my schecter are the curt curbow and the Ibanez BTB.

I'll tell you this...if I get another bass it'll be a Ibanez BTB. That thing is COMFORTABLE and it sounds like BUTTER!!!!

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 12:05:16 PM »
Bah! Get a Yamaha! :)

Honestly, try 'em all out before making a hasty decision!

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 01:28:38 PM »
DWbass is right, try them all out and go with what's best for you.

TorontosFinest

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2006, 04:33:29 PM »
Bah! Get a Yamaha! :)

Honestly, try 'em all out before making a hasty decision!

Is that a TRBII??  I heard they are really nice.  I am looking at the TRB fretless.  It has the Piezo pickups.  How does it play?

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2006, 06:55:07 AM »
Another shameless plug for the schecter.

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2006, 09:05:39 AM »
Is that a TRBII??  I heard they are really nice.  I am looking at the TRB fretless.  It has the Piezo pickups.  How does it play?

It's a TRB1005, I have the same bass... I love it. It plays really well, very versatile... "Its a back breaker though", which can easily be remedied with a stool :0)

The TRB1005's don't have the Piezo pickups. 

Offline cardfandan

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2006, 12:28:14 PM »
I look at it this way...

The Cirrus is more of a "parlor" bass. It's gonna sound great on those slow, worshipful tunes where you can sneak in some chords and long, lyrical bass lines. The pickups have a nice, mellow sound and the string spacing is pretty narrow, thus lending itself to melodic lines.

For thumpin', slammin', and groovin' I would go with the Fender. It's got wider spacing and more agressive, open-coil pickups. Yeah, the scale length is a little long and that makes the low B pretty floppy, but you can adjust the string saddles to put more tension on the string to make it more "slappable."

In short, I guess it depends on what you plan on using it for.
Exodus 34:14

Offline carlmack7183

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Carl's Business

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2006, 08:43:00 PM »
I look at it this way...

The Cirrus is more of a "parlor" bass. It's gonna sound great on those slow, worshipful tunes where you can sneak in some chords and long, lyrical bass lines. The pickups have a nice, mellow sound and the string spacing is pretty narrow, thus lending itself to melodic lines.

For thumpin', slammin', and groovin' I would go with the Fender. It's got wider spacing and more agressive, open-coil pickups. Yeah, the scale length is a little long and that makes the low B pretty floppy, but you can adjust the string saddles to put more tension on the string to make it more "slappable."

In short, I guess it depends on what you plan on using it for.

Couldn't have stated it better!!

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2006, 11:43:34 AM »
I wish! It's a TRB1005! I plan on owning one one day though! I don't think mine is heavy as compared to Torch7's response! Mine is actually light. It plays like 'butta'! The low B is tight, full sounding and articulate! I'm still trying to find the right strings to put on her though! Gonna try some Ken Smith's the next time I need a string change. I just strung it with XL's. Sounds pretty decent.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up