LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: **THE SCHECTOR IS DETHRONED!!!** ~audio clips inside~  (Read 2743 times)

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

Re: **THE SCHECTOR IS DETHRONED!!!** ~audio clips inside~
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2006, 02:35:44 PM »
Now I can give an honest opinion.  I really can't say that one sounds better than the other one.  If you put new strings on both, the set both eqs flat, then I'll be able to say what sounds better to me.  I can say that the schecter is holding more sustain to me.  If I were you, I would probably use both basses, use the carvin for upbeat songs, and use the schecter for ballads and slower tempo songs.  I'm currently looking at getting a Lakland, and if I get that, I'm going to put Barts in my schecter and tune it Eb Ab Db Gb B so that I can play ballads with it, and use the Lakland for slapping and upbeat tempo songs, tuned Bb Eb Ab Db Gb.  That's my take.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline Bullitt

• LGM Member

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2006, 08:40:39 AM »
Now I can give an honest opinion.  I really can't say that one sounds better than the other one.  If you put new strings on both, the set both eqs flat, then I'll be able to say what sounds better to me.  I can say that the schecter is holding more sustain to me.  If I were you, I would probably use both basses, use the carvin for upbeat songs, and use the schecter for ballads and slower tempo songs.  I'm currently looking at getting a Lakland, and if I get that, I'm going to put Barts in my schecter and tune it Eb Ab Db Gb B so that I can play ballads with it, and use the Lakland for slapping and upbeat tempo songs, tuned Bb Eb Ab Db Gb.  That's my take.

After messing around with it some more last night, that's the conclusion that I've reached.  I'm having some issues getting the strings low enough for my tastes but I think I may have a remedy for that as well but I will say that the Shector seems to have a warmer sound.

Godsbassman, I didn't quite understand everything you were trying to say in your post but as far as tuning goes, I tuned both basses myself with the same tuner so there's no difference there.  My lack of sleep could've had something to do with the reason that one sounded as though it was played better than the other.

One thing is for sure, the Carvin is definitely a very BRIGHT bass.  Lower notes are clearer than those on the Shector but they lack the warmth that I'm able to get from the Shector.  I'm going to try to do the recordings tonight, last night I got consumed with trying to get the Carvin's string height set up correctly.  I may also try keeping the Carvin in standard BEADG tuning while leaving the Schector flat...as long as I don't forget which bass I'm playing then it shouldn't be a problem  ;D

God Bless,
-J

Godsbassman

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2006, 03:33:39 PM »

After messing around with it some more last night, that's the conclusion that I've reached.  I'm having some issues getting the strings low enough for my tastes but I think I may have a remedy for that as well but I will say that the Shector seems to have a warmer sound.

Godsbassman, I didn't quite understand everything you were trying to say in your post but as far as tuning goes, I tuned both basses myself with the same tuner so there's no difference there.  My lack of sleep could've had something to do with the reason that one sounded as though it was played better than the other.

One thing is for sure, the Carvin is definitely a very BRIGHT bass.  Lower notes are clearer than those on the Shector but they lack the warmth that I'm able to get from the Shector.  I'm going to try to do the recordings tonight, last night I got consumed with trying to get the Carvin's string height set up correctly.  I may also try keeping the Carvin in standard BEADG tuning while leaving the Schector flat...as long as I don't forget which bass I'm playing then it shouldn't be a problem  ;D

God Bless,
-J

I'm saying you have to watch the stores. Some store will tune the bass soft,so if someone test it try to slap and play it it feel good. I'm saying, tune your own bass when you're testing out bass guitars to buy and also ask what kind of strings that are used on the bass.
Try to look at the pickups heights and ask what kind of pickups that came factory install.
Compare all of the above with others basses you test.

Offline Bullitt

• LGM Member

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2006, 03:48:09 PM »
I'm saying you have to watch the stores. Some store will tune the bass soft,so if someone test it try to slap and play it it feel good. I'm saying, tune your own bass when you're testing out bass guitars to buy and also ask what kind of strings that are used on the bass.
Try to look at the pickups heights and ask what kind of pickups that came factory install.
Compare all of the above with others basses you test.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, I gotcha now  :D

I play left handed so I don't really get the chance to test out many basses before buying.   To be honest, I think I've only been able to test one of my lefty basses (owned 4 total) before buying it and ironically it's the only bass that I no longer own lol.  As for everything else that you mentioned, I usually do ALOT of reserach before buying anything since I can't often get first hand experience with the instrument.  That way, I'll have 99% of the "stock specs" memorized if I do happen to come across one.

Still, it's good info to pass along to those who may not know it  :)

God Bless,
-J

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up