LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: **THE SCHECTOR IS DETHRONED!!!** ~audio clips inside~  (Read 2733 times)

Offline Bullitt

• LGM Member

**THE SCHECTOR IS DETHRONED!!!** ~audio clips inside~
« on: August 29, 2006, 08:15:24 AM »
For those that don't know, I was (and still am) one of the local LGM Schector Geeks.  Constantly promoting the bass to all those who are unfortunate enough to have never played one and only have "hear say" to judge it by.

Long story short, I got a SMOKING[/color] deal on a used Carvin LB75 and decided to put it in the ring with my trusty Schector.  Who's the winner?!  The faithful standby, or the new kid in town??? Let's get it on!!!

The Contender:
The previous owner of my LB75 was also a lefty but he played the bass strung like a right-handeder.  I started off playing this way a few years ago but later switched to "true" lefty style and needed to do a setup on the bass before being able to play it.  Be warned!!! The following is not a "HOW TO" guide but more so the method that I used to set up my bass.  I figured that if I goofed up severely, the worst that could happen would be a mandatory trip to GC or Sam Ashe to get a new nut installed. :D

First I popped the nut off, cleaned the area that it was mounted on and flipped it around.

Next I used some lemon oil to polish up the bass and man is it gorgeous...the wood grain is simply beautiful.  Let everything sit for a few hours to give the super glue on the nut some time to dry as well as giving the body some time to soak up the lemon oil.

The action is still way too high for my tastes (haven't moved ANYTHING since flipping the nut/strings around) but I'm loving the bass already :)

These are just my preliminary thoughts but I'll come back with more info after lowering the action some and getting more comfy with things.

The Defending Champ:
For about the past year, I've been quick to sing out compliments for Schector basses since IMO (along with a few other ;)) they are highly under rated basses due to a simple lack of available knowledge.  Having spent plenty of time with this bass, I've come to enjoy it's sound and consider it to be an excellent "bang-for-the-buck" bass.  I bought my Stiletto Studio 5 used (with case) for about $460 last summer and since then have come to love it's incredable sustain and flexable tone.  For the money, I don't believe I could've found a better bass.

Thus far, my only complaints are that the bass can become a bit neck heavy if played standing up for a long period of time and the string spacing is a little tight for slapping as well.  IIRC, spacing between strings is 16mm at the bridge and often times it's difficult to play a clean slap line unless you're used to the tight spacing.  One final thing that I'll add is that I'm tuned down to Bb and the B string can get a little muddy at times.  I don't really consider this to be a real "issue" since most people will use standard tuning but it's still something to consider if you also tune flat.

Blah, blah, blah, Where's the Sound Clips?[/u]
For now, here's a quick comparo between my Schector Stiletto Studio 5 and the Carvin LB75.  The Studio 5 has the bass and mids at full boost, the treble is flat.  The volume on both pickups is set at ~25%.  FWIW, the LB75 is on a fresh set of strings while the Studio 5's strings are about 2 monthes old.

The EQ on the Carvin is set FLAT through the entire recording….needless to say I am nothing short of amazed at the colorful tones this bass is capable of when dialed in.. The coil split switch was in the “down” position and the blend knob was set at 50/50 with the volume at ~25%.

I'll get some pics of each bass tonight but for now, here are the teaser clips.  Enjoy, and let me know what other clips you’d like to hear from each bass!

Schector Stiletto Studio 5

Carvin LB75

God Bless,
-J

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

Re: **THE SCHECTOR IS DETHRONED!!!** ~audio clips inside~
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 08:41:13 AM »
it's clearly an electronic thing. 

Why not just get a new pre-amp and pickups in the schecter?

SCHECTER STAYS ON THE THRONE!!!!!

EDIT:  After further review of these clips i'm gonna have to say that the schecter sounds better to me.
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline gambit23435

• LGM Member
  • http://myspace.com/bassin4god
    • Bassin 4 God

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 08:53:45 AM »
I'm gonna have to agree with Jeremy on the electronics thing. I'm in the proccess of having new Barts installed in my Studio 6. :D
EMG's are just too clangy and nasally. :-[

So now it's out with the old in with new pups.  ;D
"A great guitar player is a great guitar player. A great bass player is a great musician"

Offline cardfandan

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 08:57:02 AM »
I know that I'll anger some of Schecter die-hards that are all over this board, but Schecter's aren't that great of a bass. I've played several and they just don't feel very good or sound very good to me.

The Carvin sounded great, BTW.

OK... let the beat-downs from the Pro-Schecter fans that I have offended begin!
Exodus 34:14

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 09:02:18 AM »
I know that I'll anger some of Schecter die-hards that are all over this board, but Schecter's aren't that great of a bass. I've played several and they just don't feel very good or sound very good to me.

The Carvin sounded great, BTW.

OK... let the beat-downs from the Pro-Schecter fans that I have offended begin!

different strokes for differnt folks.  They sound ALOT better than the peavy, yamaha's, and yes even warwicks to me.  Those other basses aren't anywhere as flexible as the scheter is IMHO.

Offline Bullitt

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 09:34:12 AM »
it's clearly an electronic thing. 

Why not just get a new pre-amp and pickups in the schecter?

SCHECTER STAYS ON THE THRONE!!!!!

EDIT:  After further review of these clips i'm gonna have to say that the schecter sounds better to me.

Good point. I had toyed around with the thought of upgrading electronics in the Studio 5 but the string spacing would've still been an issue.

As for the clips, remember that the Carvins EQ was totally flat while the Shector had mids and lows boosted.  I'll get some better clips this evening for a more "fair" comparison.

To be perfectly honest, the audio clips don't do either bass justice....but at $350 for the bass and tweed case, who wouldn't have jumped on the Carvin? ;)

God Bless,
-J

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 09:38:56 AM »
Could only listen to the Carvin clip, the Schecter clip kept timing out.

Congrats on the new Bass, sounds like a winner, especially with it being played flat.

Did you go straight into the computer or through your amp first?

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 09:53:43 AM »
different strokes for differnt folks.  They sound ALOT better than the peavy, yamaha's, and yes even warwicks to me.  Those other basses aren't anywhere as flexible as the scheter is IMHO.

Oh no you didn't just rag on Yamaha!! :)
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 09:54:21 AM »
I also had a problem getting the Schecter wav file.

Offline Bullitt

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 10:06:16 AM »
Could only listen to the Carvin clip, the Schecter clip kept timing out.

Congrats on the new Bass, sounds like a winner, especially with it being played flat.

Did you go straight into the computer or through your amp first?

Thanks!  I just plugged into my amp and used an external mic from my PC to record everything.

I'm not sure what's going on with the Schector clip, I'll upload it again in about 30 mins after my meeting :)

God Bless,
-J

Offline cardfandan

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 10:07:03 AM »

No arguments here. I don't really like the Peavy's or Yahmaha's either.  ;D

I do think that the Cirrus is a nice bass, but there are nicer basses for the money.

I haven't ever found a Schecter that I liked better than a Warwick. The only place where the Schecter has an edge over the Warwick for me is that the Schecter is a lot lighter than any Warwick.

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 10:18:32 AM »
No arguments here. I don't really like the Peavy's or Yahmaha's either.  ;D

I do think that the Cirrus is a nice bass, but there are nicer basses for the money.

I haven't ever found a Schecter that I liked better than a Warwick. The only place where the Schecter has an edge over the Warwick for me is that the Schecter is a lot lighter than any Warwick.

don't get me wrong...warwicks are NICE, but I've found that they aren't as flexible.  You get a MEAN slap tone out of a warwick that you just can't get out of anything else, but it doesn't really give off the ballad feel or slow worship feel. 

Offline Bullitt

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 10:48:12 AM »
For those of you that were having problems with the Schector .wav file, try CLICKING HERE

God Bless,
-J

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006, 10:50:32 AM »
I can't seem to get the wav file from the Schecter.  But I must say, I'm a Schecter fan for sure, and I'm still getting ready to upgrade from the EMG-HZ to Barts.  I'm starting to not like EMG pickups for some odd reason.  But, I still love my Elite 5.  I heard the carvin clip, but I can't make an honest assessment about which I like best until I hear the Studio.  Now, I've heard a Studio 6 live and she was the sweetest thing I heard.  Coming through a tubed amp, made her sound so delicious.  I'm still trying to sell my cabs so that I can get my tubed amp and matching cabs to help produce that warm sound that I so despirately want.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline Bullitt

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006, 11:08:33 AM »
File still won't work?  Sheesh...what's your email addy?  The file is like 3.X megs...

God Bless,
-J

Offline cardfandan

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2006, 11:41:27 AM »
I can't seem to get the wav file from the Schecter.  But I must say, I'm a Schecter fan for sure, and I'm still getting ready to upgrade from the EMG-HZ to Barts.  I'm starting to not like EMG pickups for some odd reason.  But, I still love my Elite 5.  I heard the carvin clip, but I can't make an honest assessment about which I like best until I hear the Studio.  Now, I've heard a Studio 6 live and she was the sweetest thing I heard.  Coming through a tubed amp, made her sound so delicious.  I'm still trying to sell my cabs so that I can get my tubed amp and matching cabs to help produce that warm sound that I so despirately want.

mmmm.... the Barts are sweet too.

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2006, 12:25:05 PM »
*Sigh* I guess Yamaha ain't gonna get no love, huh? LOL!

After listening to both clips I think the Carvin has much nicer articulation! The Schecter sounds dull. It could be old strings though!

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2006, 12:53:15 PM »
I still can't get the schecter wav file.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2006, 01:47:29 PM »
Here's an assist. Schecter wav

Godsbassman

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2006, 02:03:39 PM »
For those that don't know, I was (and still am) one of the local LGM Schector Geeks.  Constantly promoting the bass to all those who are unfortunate enough to have never played one and only have "hear say" to judge it by.

Long story short, I got a SMOKING[/color] deal on a used Carvin LB75 and decided to put it in the ring with my trusty Schector.  Who's the winner?!  The faithful standby, or the new kid in town??? Let's get it on!!!

The Contender:
The previous owner of my LB75 was also a lefty but he played the bass strung like a right-handeder.  I started off playing this way a few years ago but later switched to "true" lefty style and needed to do a setup on the bass before being able to play it.  Be warned!!! The following is not a "HOW TO" guide but more so the method that I used to set up my bass.  I figured that if I goofed up severely, the worst that could happen would be a mandatory trip to GC or Sam Ashe to get a new nut installed. :D

First I popped the nut off, cleaned the area that it was mounted on and flipped it around.

Next I used some lemon oil to polish up the bass and man is it gorgeous...the wood grain is simply beautiful.  Let everything sit for a few hours to give the super glue on the nut some time to dry as well as giving the body some time to soak up the lemon oil.

The action is still way too high for my tastes (haven't moved ANYTHING since flipping the nut/strings around) but I'm loving the bass already :)

These are just my preliminary thoughts but I'll come back with more info after lowering the action some and getting more comfy with things.

The Defending Champ:
For about the past year, I've been quick to sing out compliments for Schector basses since IMO (along with a few other ;)) they are highly under rated basses due to a simple lack of available knowledge.  Having spent plenty of time with this bass, I've come to enjoy it's sound and consider it to be an excellent "bang-for-the-buck" bass.  I bought my Stiletto Studio 5 used (with case) for about $460 last summer and since then have come to love it's incredable sustain and flexable tone.  For the money, I don't believe I could've found a better bass.

Thus far, my only complaints are that the bass can become a bit neck heavy if played standing up for a long period of time and the string spacing is a little tight for slapping as well.  IIRC, spacing between strings is 16mm at the bridge and often times it's difficult to play a clean slap line unless you're used to the tight spacing.  One final thing that I'll add is that I'm tuned down to Bb and the B string can get a little muddy at times.  I don't really consider this to be a real "issue" since most people will use standard tuning but it's still something to consider if you also tune flat.

Blah, blah, blah, Where's the Sound Clips?[/u]
For now, here's a quick comparo between my Schector Stiletto Studio 5 and the Carvin LB75.  The Studio 5 has the bass and mids at full boost, the treble is flat.  The volume on both pickups is set at ~25%.  FWIW, the LB75 is on a fresh set of strings while the Studio 5's strings are about 2 monthes old.

The EQ on the Carvin is set FLAT through the entire recording….needless to say I am nothing short of amazed at the colorful tones this bass is capable of when dialed in.. The coil split switch was in the “down” position and the blend knob was set at 50/50 with the volume at ~25%.

I'll get some pics of each bass tonight but for now, here are the teaser clips.  Enjoy, and let me know what other clips you’d like to hear from each bass!

Schector Stiletto Studio 5

Carvin LB75

God Bless,
-J

To me it sound like you just played better on one clip and not the other. Bass will not sound the same its all depends on Tuning,strings,pickup,how the pickups are adjusted.
If you're a good bass player you can make a First Act sound good. Also many stores use TRICKS to sell. They have the Guitars tune in a Diffrent way that we play. Just to sell the guitar.

Tip when buying a bass. TUNE your Bass or ask to use a tuner and check the tuning. You will find they are soft tuned
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up