LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ***Shector vs Carvin Pt. II*** SHOUT IT OUT!!!  (Read 2234 times)

Offline Bullitt

• LGM Member

***Shector vs Carvin Pt. II*** SHOUT IT OUT!!!
« on: August 31, 2006, 08:52:27 AM »
I made some quick clips this morning before work.  I'm still trying to find time to get the string height issues worked out with the LB75 but here's some shout runs to better compare both basses.  I tried to play pretty common runs with both basses.  I don't think either clip really has anything "over the top"....

-EQ was equal on both basses (full bass and mids boost, treble flat)
-Volomes were set to roughly the same level
-Carvin is in active mode (duh, lol) with the humbucker switch in the "down" position.

It's hard to tell in the recordings but the Carvin has a "Full" sound that kind've jumps out at you where as the Shector seems to lay back in the mix for a very smooth sound.  Neither of these traits is a bad thing, just depends on song/style of music being played. I'm still getting used to playing the Carvin since it's got wider spacing than the claustrophobic Shector but once I get some miles on the strings and the action set I think it may get just a bit more playing time than the Studio 5...at least for a little while since it's a bit lighter on my shoulders ;)

Shector Stiletto Studio 5 Shout

Carvin LB75 Shout

I'll try to make some slap clips tonight.  Any other requests?

God Bless,
-J

Offline thomas1168

• LGM Member

Re: ***Shector vs Carvin Pt. II*** SHOUT IT OUT!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 08:54:51 AM »
Come on J. dont you think you could be practicing ;D :D ;D

LOL
T1168

Offline Bullitt

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 08:59:08 AM »
Come on J. dont you think you could be practicing ;D :D ;D

LOL
T1168

lol, I really do need to haha.  My gf just moved to my city so we've been spending alot of time hanging out and my basses/practice time are being neglected.  By the time I get back to my apartment I just want to go to bed lol

God Bless,
-J

Offline thomas1168

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 09:01:03 AM »
TO BE HONEST BOTH BASSES WELLLLLLLLL :-\ :-\ :-\

BUY A TOBIAS  ;D

OR A MUSICMAN (NOT THE SUB)

Offline Bullitt

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 09:09:56 AM »
TO BE HONEST BOTH BASSES WELLLLLLLLL :-\ :-\ :-\

BUY A TOBIAS  ;D

OR A MUSICMAN (NOT THE SUB)

lol, I promise it's my subpar Squier practice amp.  It will soon be replaced as well though ;)
As for the Musicman comment, I've played a MM Bongo and loved it...I really want one but don't need a third 5 string.  If I get a Tobias it'll be an American MTD ($$$$) or Z6 if they ever go into production.

God Bless,
-J

Offline gambit23435

• LGM Member
  • http://myspace.com/bassin4god
    • Bassin 4 God

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 09:24:17 AM »
Maybe it's the record quality.  :-\

The carvin does sound OK but not good enough for me to give up my Studio 6.  :)

It's cheaper to have a set of Bartolinis installed in the schector to get the better sound.
I mean think about it. the best sounding basses out today have some the top manufactures of bass electronics and pickups installed. The top pickups used in gospel, R&B and funk are: Bartolinis, fender, Musicman, Sadowski, and there are others. How many of the top gospel bassist have basses (That they use regularly) with EMG pickups. Most rock bassist use EMG's. That the sound that they are after. What is the sound that you are after? My piont is, find a bass with the feel you like and do some research and figure out what electronics and pickups give you the sound that you want? Once youve found that sound incorperate it into your bass, be it a schector, Carvin, MTD, or even SX.

Just MHO. :D

Rob
"A great guitar player is a great guitar player. A great bass player is a great musician"

Offline Bullitt

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 09:39:36 AM »

It's cheaper to have a set of Bartolinis installed in the schector to get the better sound.
I mean think about it. the best sounding basses out today have some the top manufactures of bass electronics and pickups installed. The top pickups used in gospel, R&B and funk are: Bartolinis, fender, Musicman, Sadowski, and there are others. How many of the top gospel bassist have basses (That they use regularly) with EMG pickups. Most rock bassist use EMG's. That the sound that they are after. What is the sound that you are after? My piont is, find a bass with the feel you like and do some research and figure out what electronics and pickups give you the sound that you want? Once youve found that sound incorperate it into your bass, be it a schector, Carvin, MTD, or even SX.

Rob

Good advice :) and sorry for the bad recordings....gotta work with what I've got ya know? haha
I like the sound of both basses.  The Carvin is brighter and doesn't feel like I'm wearing a lead vest when I'm playing it while standing.  The Shector has a warmer sound but slap tone (IMO) isn't as nice, even with new strings it doesn't cut it against the Carvin.  I'm not even going to get started on the string spacing issue since that would again be a personal gripe.

Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't have spent the money on a brand new Carvin since the Studio 5 has such a similiar sound at a fraction of the cost.  But, I figured I had nothing to lose in buying the LB75 for $350 :)  At least now I have two VERY capable basses and can maybe sell my old back up to get some Barts for the Studio 5.

God Bless,
-J

Offline thomas1168

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 09:51:23 AM »

Offline thomas1168

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 09:52:03 AM »
how do you upload photos

Offline Bullitt

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 09:57:42 AM »
how do you upload photos

Photo's need to be attached or linked from another website.  Try uploading it to photobucket.com and then posting the link that they give you.  If you can't get that to work, just send it to me in an email and I'll post it for you.

God Bless,
-J

Offline cardfandan

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 01:49:57 PM »

Rob

I have to admit, he's right. I spend most of my time playing rock style, and every producer and sound man that I've come across love the warm sound that I get with the two EMG's on my bass. I'm getting a Fender Jazz Standard bass just for those times when I need the agressiveness of the two open coil pick-ups instead of the smoothness of the two EMGs.
Exodus 34:14

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 04:29:08 PM »

Rob

Good observation.  I've noticed that myself.  I'm actually getting ready to put Barts in my Schecter.  I have nothing against EMG's, but I think that for my style of playing, Barts are better.  When I get them installed, I'll let everyone know how they sound.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 05:43:50 PM »
Good observation.  I've noticed that myself.  I'm actually getting ready to put Barts in my Schecter.  I have nothing against EMG's, but I think that for my style of playing, Barts are better.  When I get them installed, I'll let everyone know how they sound.

QUIT TAKING MY IDEAS!!!!!LOL

I just priced out a bart 18v pre amp and some new pickups. last night.  I'm planning on upgraded mine next month.
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2006, 06:10:52 PM »
QUIT TAKING MY IDEAS!!!!!LOL

I just priced out a bart 18v pre amp and some new pickups. last night.  I'm planning on upgraded mine next month.

Me too.  which pickups and electronics are looking at getting?
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline cardfandan

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2006, 06:09:23 AM »
Do any of you use piezo pickups? It's a pickup located within the bridge that has a dedicated pickup for each string. It adds a lot of clarity to your instrument. I know that Carvin installs them on a lot of basses, but I'm not sure if it is an easy after-market addition.
Exodus 34:14
Pages: [1]   Go Up