LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's talk about this for a moment.  (Read 948 times)

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

Let's talk about this for a moment.
« on: August 31, 2006, 10:37:12 AM »
I play every sunday at the "Worship service" at 11am and sometimes at the "Early morning service" at 8:30am.

Our youth meets on Wednesday at 7pm. There are not splitting to for another church in Fellspoint, MD.

I was asked to fill in at the "home church" youth service on Wednesday. I'm going to do it. I'll help my church anyway I can as long as I have the time and skills. (I like to think I hav both) Anyway I'm looking at it as experience.

What do you all think.

Offline Bullitt

• LGM Member

Re: Let's talk about this for a moment.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 10:46:18 AM »
So are you sitting in for someone else or are they just asking you to play because the youth group doesn't have a bass player?

God Bless,
-J

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 10:48:28 AM »
Our youth meets on Wednesday at 7pm. There are not splitting to for another church in Fellspoint, MD.

I assume that this is supposed to say, "They are now spliiting into two churches?"

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • my out of church band

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 10:52:40 AM »
So are you sitting in for someone else or are they just asking you to play because the youth group doesn't have a bass player?

God Bless,
-J

youth group has no bass player

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • my out of church band

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 10:53:39 AM »
I assume that this is supposed to say, "They are now spliiting into two churches?"

Oh my, did I type that, sheesh can't wait til I get an edit button. Yea that's what I meant.

Offline Bullitt

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 11:00:00 AM »
Now that you've cleared things up, I would say go ahead and play with whomever you like.  Just keep a clear focus and understand that some may view your actions as "taking sides"....did that make sense?

God Bless,
-J

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 11:40:13 AM »
Okay, so that I have clarity..

One Church Two Locations?  Or Two seperate Churches?

You will continue to play Sunday's for the previous church, but Go to the Wednesday Night Services, at the New Location for 7:00 PM Service?

I really don't see a problem with it... if that's the scenario, regardless of the two locations affiliation, however I would say submit it to the man of God that you are accountable too.

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • my out of church band

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 03:18:37 PM »
I was tired when I typed this, (that's my story and I'm sticking to it)

Ok I will be playing for the youth that is attached to our building on wednesday.

I'll take to there praise team leader and the pastor. I'd like to fill in and "raise" a member of the youth to become their bass player.

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 03:49:29 PM »
Sounds like two different stories to ME...  ;)

That sounds cool, You get to help out the Church, and be a mentor in some young persons life as well.

Offline Andrzej

• LGM Member
  • I've got 5 on it!
    • Kings Church

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 05:51:16 PM »
I was tired when I typed this, (that's my story and I'm sticking to it)

Ok I will be playing for the youth that is attached to our building on wednesday.

I'll take to there praise team leader and the pastor. I'd like to fill in and "raise" a member of the youth to become their bass player.

I admire your commitment and I wish you well taking on this extra responsibility.  It's always good to get as much musical experience as possible and to also share your knowledge and skills to younger musicians.

I am involved with my churches Youth Ministry team and I help to run and organise the Music Therapy sessions to help 12-18yr old musicians who want to get involved in music ministry, whether playing in or out of the church...even DJ'ing, dancing...all kinds of things.  I took up that role as I left the 1st Ministry team 5 or 6yrs ago to pursue a professional music career and when I returned there was no longer a space there for me.  Whilst I was away the church put together these Music Therapy evenings and I volunteered to help out with the introduction tuition and performance coaching.  I have been doing this for almost 3yrs now.  I enjoy it more than playing for the 1st Ministry Team.  These kids are nuts, full of great ideas and I love working with them!

I am currently helping out the 1st Ministry team by filling in until they recruit a new full-time bass player (I am too coaching a young guy from the Youth Ministry to jump onboard).  To be honest, I am really struggling to find the time to cope with it all.  I just finished playing 8 nights straight during the annual Autumn Confrences and now I find myself spending 3 nights during the week, Saturday morning and the entire day on Sunday at the church .  I also spend a lot of time at home preparing schedules for the Music Therapy evenings.  This is only a temporary role for the time being until the 1st Ministry Team recruits Joe full time, but I couldn't do all this work on a regular basis on top of my day job.  I feel like I am being pulled in too many directions right now and everyone wants a piece of me.  I am more than happy to help my Church out, but I say 'yes' too easily!  There is such a phrase called 'Spreading yourself too thin'.  If you can commit the time, then great...enjoy it.  Just be sure you are not biting off too much than you can chew.
Pages: [1]   Go Up