LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: a question  (Read 1279 times)

Offline youngkobe2k6

• LGM Member

a question
« on: September 02, 2006, 06:02:55 PM »
is it necessary for a bass player to have more than one bass, if so why is that ;D

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

Re: a question
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 06:16:57 PM »
Why do I need 1 bass, why do I need 5?

This is not a matter of must but a matter of choice.

Do I need 3 bibles no but, why can't I?

I have a fret- less 4 a fretted 4 and a 5 string. they sound different.

My fret-less is great for country, bluegrass and old hymes.

My freted four plays a lot of rock and blues.

With my 5 string I play songs in the key of D and E. Up beat gospel and pop rock.

Offline Andrzej

• LGM Member
  • I've got 5 on it!
    • Kings Church

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 05:08:23 PM »
Before I got my first professional job as a musician I only had two basses...a Fender Custom Dinky Jazz 4-string (which I still own) and a Warwick Proline Corvette 5-String.  In essence...that's all I needed.  Both basses were very reliable and did their jobs very well.  I swapped and changed my basses several times over many years, but ever since day one I have always had two basses...no more, no less.

My band signed to major label and I quickly learned the importance of having back up instruments when I was touring.  The strings go out of tune under hot lights or cold outdoor festivals very quickly and it was easier to change over a bass after 3-4 songs instead of attempting to tune it between songs.  My tech would then have enough time to tune the other bass ready for the next change.  It also became very important if I had technical problems such as a string snapping or a Donald Duck jack input.  I could swap the bass quickly without too much disturbance...even during a song.  When you are touring and playing 6 nights every week your instruments do pick up wear and tear, so you have to expect the unexpected and sometime you learnt that in some very embarrassing and painful ways.  Unfortunately, I have also had instruments stolen and I would have really been in the sticky stuff if I had to show up to the gig without a bass to perform with.  On tour I usually took two 4-string and two 5-string basses and one very good tech!  That was very conservative compared to my guitar player...he used 8 guitars!!!  I couldn't really afford to buy 4 or more top end basses, so I bought mid budget Ibanez Soundgear and Washburn Bantam basses.  I wasn't too afraid to knock them around a bit as they were easy to repair or to replace.

I was very blessed to come into contact with the Warwick artist rep for the UK through my friend Glenn who was one of their main UK endorsee's at that time.  My band was supporting his band One Minute Silence for a short 10 date tour and we played the Mean Fiddler in London on the last night.  Ben (artist rep) also noticed that I played a Warwick bass and made some very flattering comments about my performance.  He asked me if I was sponsored or an endorsee with a company and I said no.  I then gave him the sob story that our contract advance wouldn't even cover the cost of a new flight case, so he took pity on me.  He said that he could hook me up with a sponsorship, but not an endorsement deal.  That basically mean't that I could buy any Warwick branded product for a very low price.  I can't discuss how low, but you would be shocked how low it is!  He sent me the paper work to sign a week later, but I didn't jump onto it straight away.  I toured for another 6 months, saved some cash, I then sold my touring bass collection and ordered two off the wall and two custom built Warwick basses!

I have bought a few other basses since then such as my Warwick Dolphin 5-string fretless and Thumb BO 4-string, Status Energy Custom 6-string (sold), Fender 72' reissue Jazz (sold) and 82' P-Bass fretless (sold), KYDD upright (sold) and a very nice MTD 535 (stolen), but even though I am not a touring musician anymore is there really any need to have this many basses?  Not really, but I keep them for the same reason why some folks collect motorbikes, baseball cards or Star Wars action figures.  I am fanatical about the instrument!  I love how they all look different, sound different and feel different.  There is so much variety out there and I find it very exciting and challenging.  I'm not the kind of person who will buy a bass and treat it like a piece of furniture.  I buy basses that I will play and enjoy using.  I buy with my heart and not my head.  Not sure if that's a good thing or not, but that's my excuse!

Godsbassman

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 11:34:46 PM »
is it necessary for a bass player to have more than one bass, if so why is that ;D
I guess that question depends on the peron. I only play one bass. I played my 4 string only until I got a 5 string for fathers days.
I think you see more basses now because at one time there was only 4 strings bass available.

So you got slappers who learn to slap on 4 strings do not want to learn to do it on 5 string and more.I believe you will find slappers are the ones with more than one bass.

I can see any reason for a none slapper to have more than one bass. I maybe wrong but still.

Offline Bullitt

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 03:42:49 PM »
Before I got my first professional job as a musician I only had two basses...a Fender Custom Dinky Jazz 4-string (which I still own) and a Warwick Proline Corvette 5-String.  In essence...that's all I needed.  Both basses were very reliable and did their jobs very well.  I swapped and changed my basses several times over many years, but ever since day one I have always had two basses...no more, no less.

My band signed to major label and I quickly learned the importance of having back up instruments when I was touring.  The strings go out of tune under hot lights or cold outdoor festivals very quickly and it was easier to change over a bass after 3-4 songs instead of attempting to tune it between songs.  My tech would then have enough time to tune the other bass ready for the next change.  It also became very important if I had technical problems such as a string snapping or a Donald Duck jack input.  I could swap the bass quickly without too much disturbance...even during a song.  When you are touring and playing 6 nights every week your instruments do pick up wear and tear, so you have to expect the unexpected and sometime you learnt that in some very embarrassing and painful ways.  Unfortunately, I have also had instruments stolen and I would have really been in the sticky stuff if I had to show up to the gig without a bass to perform with.  On tour I usually took two 4-string and two 5-string basses and one very good tech!  That was very conservative compared to my guitar player...he used 8 guitars!!!  I couldn't really afford to buy 4 or more top end basses, so I bought mid budget Ibanez Soundgear and Washburn Bantam basses.  I wasn't too afraid to knock them around a bit as they were easy to repair or to replace.

I was very blessed to come into contact with the Warwick artist rep for the UK through my friend Glenn who was one of their main UK endorsee's at that time.  My band was supporting his band One Minute Silence for a short 10 date tour and we played the Mean Fiddler in London on the last night.  Ben (artist rep) also noticed that I played a Warwick bass and made some very flattering comments about my performance.  He asked me if I was sponsored or an endorsee with a company and I said no.  I then gave him the sob story that our contract advance wouldn't even cover the cost of a new flight case, so he took pity on me.  He said that he could hook me up with a sponsorship, but not an endorsement deal.  That basically mean't that I could buy any Warwick branded product for a very low price.  I can't discuss how low, but you would be shocked how low it is!  He sent me the paper work to sign a week later, but I didn't jump onto it straight away.  I toured for another 6 months, saved some cash, I then sold my touring bass collection and ordered two off the wall and two custom built Warwick basses!

I have bought a few other basses since then such as my Warwick Dolphin 5-string fretless and Thumb BO 4-string, Status Energy Custom 6-string (sold), Fender 72' reissue Jazz (sold) and 82' P-Bass fretless (sold), KYDD upright (sold) and a very nice MTD 535 (stolen), but even though I am not a touring musician anymore is there really any need to have this many basses?  Not really, but I keep them for the same reason why some folks collect motorbikes, baseball cards or Star Wars action figures.  I am fanatical about the instrument!  I love how they all look different, sound different and feel different.  There is so much variety out there and I find it very exciting and challenging.  I'm not the kind of person who will buy a bass and treat it like a piece of furniture.  I buy basses that I will play and enjoy using.  I buy with my heart and not my head.  Not sure if that's a good thing or not, but that's my excuse!

Wow, talk about being in the right place at the right time!  No wonder you're such a huge Warwick fan :)

God Bless,
-J

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 05:23:18 AM »
It all depends on the person and their playing situation, but here are several situations that I can think of off the top of my head where having more than one bass on a gig would be advantageous......

1)  A song set that includes pieces done in alternate tunings.  Not everyone follows the E-A-D-G norm.
2)  A song list that requires wide tonal variation (for example a hard driving, thumpin' and poppin' funk tune, followed by a very mellow ballad).  Some people prefer to have a fretless sound on mellow tunes and a tight percussive sound on the more edgy stuff.  That would require having a fretted and a fretless on the same gig.
3)  As someone has already mentioned, just having a backup to deal with tuning issues or broken string issues.  Ya never know
4)  One bass could be set up to run "clean" while another could be run through an effects chain for that one song in the set that requires some specific effects.

Personally, I've used 2, 3, & 4 as reasons for having a second bass at a gig.  I typically own from 4 - 6 basses at any one time.  Three are keepers, each for specific reasons.  Then I always try to keep at least one fretless (I'm fretless-less now, but I have one on the way  ;) )  Other than that, anything else is gravy, or just satisfying my curiosity

Peace,

James
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH
Pages: [1]   Go Up