LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Overtone Series  (Read 744 times)

Offline Spiritfingaz

• LGM Member

Overtone Series
« on: August 30, 2006, 03:12:46 PM »
I understand pretty much what it is mechanically with a piano, with sounds and the strings and everything, but I heard you can use it to form better chords. Does anyone know of any examples or any kind of methodolgy behind applying the overtone series to playing chords, etc.?
All to Jesus I surrender and Humbly give my life

Offline musicmandan

• LGM Member

Re: Overtone Series
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 06:39:15 AM »
Here is a link that explains the overtone series in relation to consonance and dissonance, the harmonic function of chords, and why we hear (and feel) the music the way we do.

http://www.smu.edu/totw/overtone.htm

Offline PianoWizard

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 費思是能力到不恐慌

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 08:05:23 AM »
I took a look at the link "musicmandan".....and I must admit that I really learned something.

Thanks

PianoWiz...

Offline musicmandan

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 08:33:48 AM »
You're welcome Wiz. I have learned so much from the musicians on this site that I consider it an honor to post something that can help someone else.

Offline PianoWizard

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 費思是能力到不恐慌

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 08:47:53 AM »
You're welcome Wiz. I have learned so much from the musicians on this site that I consider it an honor to post something that can help someone else.

I know what you mean, when I get some feedback from a memeber I have helped, its great to know that you can be a blessing to someone, with the talent God gave you.... :)

PianoWiz...

Offline slburks

• LGM Member
  • Steve Burks
    • Magic Hertz

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 09:23:03 PM »
I haven't seen it formally applied to music making in a practical way, but the basic aural principle to which the series refers more precisely, is that the lower the notes, the farther they have to be apart intervallically for it to sound right (i.e., not dissonant).

Play a C major triad in root position, built on middle C, then play the same chord two octaves lower, and you'll hear what I mean. Once you get lower than around the second A below middle C, anything smaller than a perfect fourth sounds yucky.

Offline Spiritfingaz

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 11:16:22 PM »
Thanks for the replies this does help  :)
All to Jesus I surrender and Humbly give my life
Pages: [1]   Go Up