LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No Drumming Experience  (Read 2009 times)

Offline therealben

• LGM Member
  • Purple symbolizes royalty. I am a KING says Jesus

No Drumming Experience
« on: August 23, 2006, 07:07:26 PM »
Recently (Yesterday), I was asked to help organize the youth choir along with helping organize the musicians at my church. The church is a fairly small church as the adult choir has just came into existance last month. My instrument of expertise is not often played in churches.  And I am to help build the church's musicians also. We have a keyboardist but no drummer. So i am willing to learn drums to help fulfill the position also. So i can carry a beat. And lord knows i know how to pray. Thats all i know.. Any suggestions?

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

Re: No Drumming Experience
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 07:21:57 PM »
Yo man.

If you are the songs we all play at church like Israel and the New Breed then my suggestion would be to pick up the CD and start practicing with it. Listen first. You're learning a new language on drums so don't skip to all the big fancy words. Focus on the basics. 1 and 3 on the kick works for almost anything. If the music feels like it needs a swing bust out the 8th notes on the hats.

Hope I helped.  :o

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 12:31:19 AM »
Recently (Yesterday), I was asked to help organize the youth choir along with helping organize the musicians at my church. The church is a fairly small church as the adult choir has just came into existence last month. My instrument of expertise is not often played in churches.  And I am to help build the church's musicians also. We have a keyboardist but no drummer. So i am willing to learn drums to help fulfill the position also. So i can carry a beat. And lord knows i know how to pray. That's all i know.. Any suggestions?

Go out and find a real drummer. Ask around, but make sure his /her walk is for real!
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline drummer_boi23

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 11:54:18 AM »
i agree with bbd

when i first started to play i never played with a choir cuz frankly your not ready for that just go around to churches listen to there musicians and then ask the musician talk tot he director of the church.

but it should have to come down to you playing the drums

Strive to make it to the top practise makes perfect if you pray and practice God will lead

Offline therealben

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 12:49:55 PM »
Go out and find a real drummer. Ask around, but make sure his /her walk is for real!

Thanks for the suggestion. I understand what you are saying, but i also believe that when The Lord asks you to do something, he also provides you with the resources to complete the task. And this site being  one of the many resources. But As the brother said, this is something for me to complete.

I thank everyone for the suggestions thus far, and i have been using them. And appreciate you all for taking the time to reply.

rjthakid

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 02:52:04 PM »
You need 3 things.

1) The ability to hold a beat.

2) The desire and motivation to get better.

3) Time to practice.

I was thrust into my role as a drummer when our drummer up and left.  I was already coming to praise and worship rehearsals and sitting in for the drummer when he didn't show up.  When he left the church I had to learn FAST.  Fortunately I had the basic ability to hold a beat, and I VERY strong desire to get better. 

I agree with BBD ONLY if you're playing the drums just to fill the need and not because you genuinely have a desire to be proficient on the instrument.

If you have a strong desire to learn how to play.......

You need to take a trip to your local Guitar Center/Sam Ash.

Purchase your own personal sticks and a Practice pad.

Practice drum rudiments constantly: http://www.pas.org/Resources/rudiments/rudiments.html

There are several DVD's I can recommend, but as a beginner, this is one that helped me when I first started out:

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemPos=6&TempID=7&STRID=154748&Method=2&CategoryID=0&BrandID=0&PriceRangeID=0&PageNum=0&DepartmentID=10&pagesize=10&SortMethod=4&SearchPhrase=snare+drum&Contains=%2Asnare%2A+AND+%2Adrum%2A&Search_Type=SEARCH&GroupCode=

Practice those rudiments day and night man.  It may seem like it's not doing anything, but they're necessary to helping you build control, speed and accuracy.  Just make sure you practice as fast as you can ACCURATELY.  That means that if you're practicing a rudiment and you're making too many mistakes, you're doing it too fast.

There are several people on this board who can help you out if you have any questions.  Welcome to LGM

Remember: Even the Longest Journey begins with one step.

drummin4JC

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 11:36:26 AM »
Tommy Igoes dvd is great also. i heard alot of great stuff about that dvd alot its for beginers its called Tommy Igoes rud-essentials.  ;)

And really study those rudiments i thought they didnt do anything i thought i dodnt need them but a wise drummer told me there the A,B,C s of drumming without them your just making noise so yea get at that man God bless. :)

Offline erickicks

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 03:08:03 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. I understand what you are saying, but i also believe that when The Lord asks you to do something, he also provides you with the resources to complete the task. And this site being  one of the many resources. But As the brother said, this is something for me to complete.

I thank everyone for the suggestions thus far, and i have been using them. And appreciate you all for taking the time to reply.

Be faithful over the few that GOD gives you and he'll give you more. You may start with only a keyboard player but start. then he'll provide you with the rest...but you gotta begin somewhere. Glorify him with what you have then he'll bless you with more....

Offline therealben

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 06:08:18 PM »
Be faithful over the few that GOD gives you and he'll give you more. You may start with only a keyboard player but start. then he'll provide you with the rest...but you gotta begin somewhere. Glorify him with what you have then he'll bless you with more....

I appreciate your comment. And i believe thats one reason why i think he is placing me the position i am in. So that he can get the praise and glory. Its easy for him to bring someone in. But God does like a challenge but he also would like someone who will be humble. IF you already have the talent, many times you don't focus on The Lord as much. But for him to use someone effectively, that person must continuosly seek him. I am priviledged to have the opportunity. And i believe that through prayer, the lord will give me the wisdom.  And ultimately he will receive the Glory.

I truly appreciate everyone's suggestions. I am taking notes and taking them into prayer also. May the lord bless all of you and i hope this not only is a blessing to my life but to others also.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 11:24:43 PM »
I appreciate your comment. And i believe thats one reason why i think he is placing me the position i am in. So that he can get the praise and glory. Its easy for him to bring someone in. But God does like a challenge but he also would like someone who will be humble. IF you already have the talent, many times you don't focus on The Lord as much. But for him to use someone effectively, that person must continuosly seek him. I am priviledged to have the opportunity. And i believe that through prayer, the lord will give me the wisdom.  And ultimately he will receive the Glory.

I truly appreciate everyone's suggestions. I am taking notes and taking them into prayer also. May the lord bless all of you and i hope this not only is a blessing to my life but to others also.

Here is your school of study... This will get you where you wanna go

Groove Essentials DVD/Book pack by Tommy Igoe's
Ray Luziers - DVD
Advanced Funk Studies DVD by Rick Latham
The Complete Modern Drumset DVD/Book pack by Frank Briggs

The Drumset Musican (book/CD) by Rod Morganstein (Berlkee professor)
Master Studies (book) by Joe Morello
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline DJCHAT1991

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 08:43:37 AM »
GET YOU A CHURCH CD AN  DRUM PAD PLAY WITH THE SONG MAKE SURE YOU KEEP UP WITH THEM BEAT JUST RIGHT  :-[

drummin4JC

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 08:15:27 PM »
YO SABE U SAVED ME ITS GROOVE ESSENTIALS   WOW CAN U GET ME AN EDIT BUTTON... LOL

rjthakid

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2006, 01:35:11 PM »
Here is your school of study... This will get you where you wanna go

Groove Essentials DVD/Book pack by Tommy Igoe's
Ray Luziers - DVD
Advanced Funk Studies DVD by Rick Latham
The Complete Modern Drumset DVD/Book pack by Frank Briggs

The Drumset Musican (book/CD) by Rod Morganstein (Berlkee professor)
Master Studies (book) by Joe Morello

I can definitely recommend the Tommy Igoe Groove Essentials DVD.  I also recommend Dave Weckl's "How to Practice" DVD

Hey SK, how's that Rick Latham DVD?  I'm really looking for a great groove Video.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 10:55:27 PM »
I can definitely recommend the Tommy Igoe Groove Essentials DVD.  I also recommend Dave Weckl's "How to Practice" DVD

Hey SK, how's that Rick Latham DVD?  I'm really looking for a great groove Video.

Rick Latham is a great groove vid. It has some rudimental complexities. Rick is a dual degree guy. He is also a University of North Texas grad.

Another would be Tower of Groove Volumes I and II from David Garibaldi.
And Brain's DVD - Rippin the Gnarly Gnar Gnar is weird but serious on grooving... not much in struction but serious demonstration. Go-Go , Funk....
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline therealben

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2006, 07:52:39 PM »
Wow so much i have to look at. I rejoice for the responses.  And i am going to try these tools and i know it shall be blessing to not only my life, but to others also.
Pages: [1]   Go Up