LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A question  (Read 8230 times)

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

Re: A question
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 08:09:44 PM »
The use of roman numerals (vii-iii-vi) tells you the chord to play and the inversion to play it in. Not much to figure out here because it's pretty much given to you.

The use of just numbers (7-3-6) is just naming the bass notes. The chord you choose to play is totally up to you. With this type of notation, you are free to play whatever chord you want, as long as the bottom note is correct.

So, while they are similar, they are very different in meaning.

Tblock but can this take you out of key though?

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 10:10:55 PM »
Tblock but can this take you out of key though?

Not if you follow it right. In key or out of key has to do with your tonic chord. As long as your chords lead you to the right tonic, you will stay in key.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 07:50:08 AM »

The use of just numbers (7-3-6) is just naming the bass notes. The chord you choose to play is totally up to you. With this type of notation, you are free to play whatever chord you want, as long as the bottom note is correct.

That's not entirely true in my experience.
Using Nashville Numbers as just numbers (with no extra characters) assumes that the progression will follow Diatonic guidelines: 1, 4, 5 are major chords and 2, 3, 6 are minor chords. The use of 7 (diminished) is rare. So, more than just the bass note, the use of just numbers denotes the full chord triad.
When extra characters are added...b for flat, # for sharp, - for minor, o for dim and so on...then it's easy to break free from the limitations of just playing according to diatonic guidelines.
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 10:42:36 AM »
So, what if you're not using Nashville numbers? What if you're just using numbers period?

Honestly, I've never heard of the Nashville number system until you just mentioned it. I guess my number system is different because I only use them to name bass notes.

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 11:31:54 AM »
So, what if you're not using Nashville numbers? What if you're just using numbers period?

Honestly, I've never heard of the Nashville number system until you just mentioned it. I guess my number system is different because I only use them to name bass notes.

If you just use numbers and you give those numbers to a musician who knows the Nashville Numbers system, they will assume diatonic-based chords as I mentioned above. If musicians who don't know the Nashville Numbers system are using numbers to describe music, it's probably some proprietary language that they're using.
If I see numbers, I immediately think "Nashville Numbers".  ;D

The Nashville Number system is VERY popular among gigging musicians in and out of the church in my experience. It's easier than Roman numerals and yet just as effective when communicating a chord progression in any key.

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 11:52:43 AM »
I use the number system in several ways.  I always take it as a granted, though, that the minor/major/dim. relationship applies even if the roman numerals are not used.  If I am asked to play, say, a three, I would play some sort of minor chord on the three of the scale being played.

I use the number system to transpose chords.  If I am playing a ,say 1-3-5-b7 on a C and I want to move that to a F, I just play a 1-3-5-b7 on F. Tell me to play a 7 in the key of C, I will give you a B dim(unless my ear said some other B).

It is hard to always tell what someone is playing by looking at their right hand, because often they will be playing a full chord in that hand.  When placed with the bass note, it is another chord.  Example, If you play an Emin7 with your right hand, and a C with your left, you are actually playing a Cmaj9th.  You see some weird chords being played with the right hand in 7-3-6s.

In any of the number systems, the most important thing is to know the number of each note of the scale in any key(IMHO).     

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 11:53:13 AM »
The Nashville Number system is VERY popular among gigging musicians in and out of the church in my experience. It's easier than Roman numerals and yet just as effective when communicating a chord progression in any key.

I hear ya dave. I just did some quick research on it and it is definitely easier than using roman numerals.

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 04:55:33 PM »
I hear ya dave. I just did some quick research on it and it is definitely easier than using roman numerals.

Yeah, it's just a different way of saying the same thing.  ;D

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 05:06:34 PM »
T block I know I am a beginner and I have been watching a couple of jazz videos about jazz. And they spoke on a ii - V - I - vi a famous jazz chord progression and they gave these numbers (2-5-1-6) What is your take on this?

Offline Virtuenow

• LGM Member

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2013, 11:36:43 PM »
Here's the breakdown (examples in the key of C):

Capital letter roman numerals mean that the chord has a major base (normal 3rd):

I = major 1 chord  (C-E-G)
VI = major 6 chord (A-C#-E)

Lower case letter roman numerals mean that the chord has a minor base (flat 3rd):

i = minor 1 chord (C-Eb-G)
vi = minor 6 chord (A-C-E)

3-note chords

If the roman numeral is alone with nothing else beside it, the chord is to be played in root position. This means that the note on the very bottom (bass note) is the root:

I = major 1 chord, root position (C / C-E-G,  C / E-G-C,  C / G-C-E, etc.)

If the roman numeral has a 6 beside it, the chord is to be played in 1st inversion:

I6 = major 1 chord, 1st inversion (E / C-E-G,  E / E-G-C,  E / G-C-E, etc.)

If the roman numeral has a 6/4 beside it, the chord is to be played in 2nd inversion:

I6/4 = major 1 chord, 2nd inversion (G / C-E-G,  G / E-G-C,  G / G-C-E, etc.)

There are more, but that is what I remember off the top of my head. I haven't used Roman Numerals to name chords in a long time, so I gotta go back and brush up on my skills. Will be back with more information!

Thanks for sharing this.  Is this in the LGM Theory collection?  I guess I never got that far...but this is good to know.  Created my own way to remember which inversion I used-- but I didn't know a formula already existed.  I learn so much here :).  Could you or someone point me to the thread that explains this further?

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2013, 04:29:02 PM »
Thanks for sharing this.  Is this in the LGM Theory collection?  I guess I never got that far...but this is good to know.  Created my own way to remember which inversion I used-- but I didn't know a formula already existed.  I learn so much here :).  Could you or someone point me to the thread that explains this further?

There isn't a specific thread for it yet. I forgot a lot of the rules when it comes to Roman Numeral names so I have to do some study and refresh my memory!

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2013, 12:37:30 PM »
You're probably only encounter this notation in a music theory class.

And I did not know what to expect when I go to school for music.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up