LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Piano,Keyboard, or Organ... What would you do?  (Read 1212 times)

Offline wishicouldplay

• LGM Member

Piano,Keyboard, or Organ... What would you do?
« on: September 14, 2006, 05:05:33 AM »
I'm debating on which instrument i should focus on.  My heart is with the organ, but my church doesn't have a Hammond.  It's a newer electric Technics brand organ with buttons instead of drawbars.   My church is 30 minutes away from my house so I can't practice when i want.  I have been told that I can take it home with me to practice with it on my own time, but I don't know if that's a good idea or not.

I do have a piano and a keyboard at my disposal.  I'm really trying to avoid the keyboard because I want to learn all the keys on my own without transposing electronically. 

I can read music sporatically... meaning that I can read the melodies, but I have a hard time reading both clefs at the same time.  I can play a few songs in C, but they're VERY basic.  I'd call myself a beginner.

What would y'all recommend?

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Re: Piano,Keyboard, or Organ... What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 09:59:17 AM »

I do have a piano and a keyboard at my disposal.  I'm really trying to avoid the keyboard because I want to learn all the keys on my own without transposing electronically. 

There is your answer right there, since you already have more access to the piano and keyboard, focus on them.  Also, you don't have to avoid the keyboard, just avoid using the transpose button.  You can still practice on it, but once you have practiced at home, practice it on the organ when u can get to your church. 

The other thing you should focus on is music theory.  Music theory can be applied to any instrument so u shouldn't have a problem applying it to whatever u play.  Music theory will help you to understand what you are playing and why.  The 4 topics at the top of this page should help you out with that.

If you have any questions or anything, don't hesitate to PM me and I'll do my best to help you.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline KurzLand

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 07:31:11 PM »
Learn to play piano first. Everything else will come easy.
"Experience is not what happens to a man; it is what a man does with what happens to him." -A.Huxley

Offline rspindy

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 02:35:27 PM »
As T-Block says, work with what you have at your disposal.  It is generally easier to transfer from piano to organ or keyboard than the other way around.

First, since the amount of pressure that you use on the keys determines its volume and tone quality you develop your fingers in a way that you can't on the organ.  People who start on an organ often find it much more difficult to control a piano's tone.

Second, if you are playing solo piano, your hands have to do all of the work of melody, accompaniement and bass.  It is again easier to let your left hand do less (or different things) when you start to transfer the bass to the organ pedals than to all of a sudden need to do more with your L.H. transfering from organ to piano.

But, organ technic is different from piano technic.  It doesn't matter how hard you play the keys, they will remain the same volume until you move the expression pedal.  Also, you don't have the damper pedal to help with tricky legato passages.

You do not need to completely limit yourself to one or the other.  Concentrate on the piano, continue to try things on the keyboard -- and if your keyboard can do an organ sound without touch sensitivity you can practice organ finger technic on it and then continue to work at the organ at your church when you have the opportunity.

As far as the Technics brand versus Hammond.  It doesn't hurt to get used to organs other than a Hammond.  Not all organs have drawbars.  Unless the Technics is strictly preset, most organs will have a set of buttons or tabs with such names as "Flute 8'" or "Tibia 8'" and there will usually be at least a 16', 8', and 4' -- these are equivalent to the first third and 4th draw bars.  In fact, the drawbars on the Hammond are "Flute" sounds 16', 5 1/3', 8', 4', 2 2/3,' 2', 1 3/5, and 1' so buttons or tabs on a non-drawbar instrument can be used the same as those drawbars full on.

I've played every type of keyboard imaginable (o.K -- I play the world's slowest polka on an accordion -- I can either press the keys or squeeze but not at the same time).  I'm glad that I have had that opportunity because I can sit down and play anywhere no matter which type of keyboard they have (unless all they have is that pesky accordion).  You need not limit yourself to one or the other.

Offline rspindy

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 02:51:51 PM »
I also meant to add that now, playing technic on a digital keyboard adds a whole new dimension to the arsenal of finger technics that you build at the piano and organ.  Granted many of these you can play as a piano with touch sensitivity or as an organ with just an even pressure at all times.  But some sounds on a keyboard require a refinement in technic never before needed on piano or organ.  At times you may want to use the modulation or glide wheels.  Also some sounds have after touch -- press a little harder and you get vibrato.  And some sounds, the touch sensitivity affects more than just volume.

On my Roland RD-700 I have a fantastic steel guitar sound, but if you press to hard you get a glide up to the pitch, which is desireable at times, but if your not careful you get it at the wrong times so you have to be concious of your finger pressure on each key and know when you want the glide.

It also has this fabulous Jazz Scat voice sound that does, depending on pressure " Doo Dot Bop Bowwwww (falling)"  This sound actually has 4 specific degrees of pressure that you have to learn to control.  It's a challenge but when you get it right it can be great fun.

Offline wishicouldplay

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 06:59:28 AM »
Thanks for the detailed replies!

Do you guys think that my foot would get lazy if I didn't play the organ often?  That was my main concern with playing the piano/keyboard.    I'll take your advice and concentrate on what I have available to me. 

Offline rspindy

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 10:42:58 AM »
Thanks for the detailed replies!

Do you guys think that my foot would get lazy if I didn't play the organ often?  That was my main concern with playing the piano/keyboard.    I'll take your advice and concentrate on what I have available to me. 

Just make sure that when you have a chance to work with the organ, to take some time to work with your feet.

I have learned over the past decades that if I put good concentrated effort into certain types of practice that 1.) after a while during the practice session things will start going down hill and that I should stop, and 2.) When I come back to it later, things often have jelled in my mind and body -- even after several days hiatus.

WHile it may be a little slower going on the organ if you can only get to one once or twice a week, every little bit of good practice is a step towards improvement.
Pages: [1]   Go Up