LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.

Poll

(Poll) Should the Choir have some say in the hiring of there M.O.M?

Pastor/ Only
Choir / Only
Pastor and Choir
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: (Poll) Should the Choir have some say in the hiring of there M.O.M?  (Read 12229 times)

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Lord Can Do All Things!

When it comes to hiring a M.O.M. should the Pastor be the only one who decides who will be hired?

Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

Re: (Poll) Should the Choir have some say in the hiring of there M.O.M?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 03:08:46 PM »
I think the decision ultimately is the Pastor's or the governing board of the church.  They are mainly responsible for placing everyone in their respective positions in the church.  I think wisdom is shown when the pastor seeks input from the music department, but ultimately, he has to be prayerful and make the decision according to the leading of the Holy Ghost.

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 03:15:26 PM »
I think the decision ultimately is the Pastor's or the governing board of the church.  They are mainly responsible for placing everyone in their respective positions in the church.  I think wisdom is shown when the pastor seeks input from the music department, but ultimately, he has to be prayerful and make the decision according to the leading of the Holy Ghost.

I agree with you, Nessa.

The MOM position is a leadership position and must be appointed by the one in charge of leaders. 
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline RWILLIAMS3000

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 11:00:01 PM »
i agree!!! leadership in my church is all appointed by the pastor under the guidance of god!!!

Offline Furious Styles

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 10:40:11 AM »
I think that the staff should have some input. Every decisions pastors make ain't Godly. I believe in a governing board in a church and not just one figurehead. If the US government has sense enough not to give a president absolute power then why should the church not have enough sense in this area. I think that leaders from the choir and musical staff can have a hand in the process by way of panel interview. Afterwards the music staff leaders speak with the Governing board who all together make a decision based on the vision for the fellowship. That way if the person turns out to be a jerk or not up to snuff then there shouldn't be much finger pointing because everyone hand the hand in the process.
Ignorance is Bliss

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 11:50:26 AM »
I disagree, I don't feel that the church is a democracy like our government.  Why should we even have a Pastor who is to seek God for guidance to lead the flock, if the board has the power to override what God has given him to do?

Like Moses, with the children of Israel, they didn't agree with what God was leading Moses to do, and figured they could hear from God on their own.  If a person disagrees with whether the Pastor is being led of God, I think they should pray about whether they should be a member of that particular church, because the Pastor is ordained of God to lead the flock.

Offline Furious Styles

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 12:14:54 PM »
Ask Jim Jones that. The analogy was for everyone to feel included in on decisions. That's why most times we are disappointed when we find out the shortcomings of pastors. Jethro and to advise Moses to divide some of the leadership duties among the people. The government analogy wasn't to say that the church should run exactly like the government. I only used that as an example of to show that all decisions shouldn't exclusive to one person.
Ignorance is Bliss

rjthakid

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 01:52:15 PM »
I think that the staff should have some input. Every decisions pastors make ain't Godly. I believe in a governing board in a church and not just one figurehead. If the US government has sense enough not to give a president absolute power then why should the church not have enough sense in this area. I think that leaders from the choir and musical staff can have a hand in the process by way of panel interview. Afterwards the music staff leaders speak with the Governing board who all together make a decision based on the vision for the fellowship. That way if the person turns out to be a jerk or not up to snuff then there shouldn't be much finger pointing because everyone hand the hand in the process.

::)

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 02:19:50 PM »
Ask Jim Jones that. The analogy was for everyone to feel included in on decisions. That's why most times we are disappointed when we find out the shortcomings of pastors. Jethro and to advise Moses to divide some of the leadership duties among the people. The government analogy wasn't to say that the church should run exactly like the government. I only used that as an example of to show that all decisions shouldn't exclusive to one person.

Jim Jones wasn't following Christ, therefore, saved people should've questioned whether he was the undershepherd God had ordained for their lives.  Moses appointed leaders under him to carry out the work, not to vote on his decisions after God had already given him directions.  Which solidifies the answer to the question asked here, those serving under Moses were selected by Moses with God's leading, so it should be when a Pastor selects someone to be MOM or serve in another leadership position.

rjthakid

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 02:23:53 PM »
As nessalynn77 said, it would be wise for the Pastor to consult the Music Department.  ESPECIALLY if he doesn't know much about music.

The Pastor is the undershepherd, and as such, he is God's Man.  He is the man whom God has placed over us, we ought to follow his direction.

The church of the Lord Jesus Christ is not a democracy, but a WISE Pastor is concerned with the opinions of his flock....Even if in the final analysis, he makes the choice.

rjthakid

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 02:42:34 PM »
Jim Jones wasn't following Christ, therefore, saved people should've questioned whether he was the undershepherd God had ordained for their lives.  Moses appointed leaders under him to carry out the work, not to vote on his decisions after God had already given him directions.  Which solidifies the answer to the question asked here, those serving under Moses were selected by Moses with God's leading, so it should be when a Pastor selects someone to be MOM or serve in another leadership position.

Amen.  I'm a FIRM believer in following and being Mentored by one's Pastor.

I'm a firm believer that when the Man of God speaks, we ought to hear and obey.  We have a church board of directors (Of which I am one.).  My Bishop will always ask us things.  He'll bring issues before us.  He hides nothing.  He tells us of future ventures, we discuss the church's financial standing, etc.

He takes our recommendations into account, and doesn't dismiss anyone's opinion.

YET......  If the Man of God says NO, we move with him.  If the Man of God says YES, we move with him. 
Because we believe that as long as he follows Christ, and is the Man whom God has chosen to lead us, God will back up what he says.

Offline Furious Styles

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2006, 04:28:19 PM »
We are all saying the same thing however it should be noted that governing body's and board of directors along with the pastors should be involved. Some pastors may leave it up to a commitee.Every culture of fellowships is different. Some people like domination. I've always respected pastors however I have seen more discrepancies with one person "who was gods man" make terrible mistakes and people follow right behind him without anything said because "he's god's man". That's why very few black pastors live past 60. They try and do to much while the people allow him to. Jim Jones and David Koresh are extremes but most churches if truth be told would be shocked to find compromising information about what church leadership does. Every church has a degree of this whether you want to believe it or not. Predators never reveal themselves. They must be exposed.
Ignorance is Bliss

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2006, 04:41:32 PM »
We are all saying the same thing however it should be noted that governing body's and board of directors along with the pastors should be involved. Some pastors may leave it up to a commitee.Every culture of fellowships is different. Some people like domination. I've always respected pastors however I have seen more discrepancies with one person "who was gods man" make terrible mistakes and people follow right behind him without anything said because "he's god's man". That's why very few black pastors live past 60. They try and do to much while the people allow him to. Jim Jones and David Koresh are extremes but most churches if truth be told would be shocked to find compromising information about what church leadership does. Every church has a degree of this whether you want to believe it or not. Predators never reveal themselves. They must be exposed.
My experience has been the opposite, I can tell you stories of the Pastor seeking God, and getting a plan to help the church or take the church in a new direction, and the "board" doesn't see it so they fight the pastor on it.  Of course they don't see it, they are not looking from his vantage point.  And yes, he is God's man, chosen and ordained by God to lead that group.  It's an awesome responsibility and very easy to criticize when we're not the ones in his shoes.  Again I say that if a person feels they can't follow the Pastor because they feel that he is not being led by the Holy Ghost, then it would be better for everyone if that individual leaves, than to sow seeds of discord in the body.  If in fact he's not spirit led, leaving would've been a good idea, anyway, if he is being led by the spirit and you refuse to see it, than at best you're a stumblingblock for the ministry anyway.

Offline RWILLIAMS3000

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2006, 08:38:28 PM »
My experience has been the opposite, I can tell you stories of the Pastor seeking God, and getting a plan to help the church or take the church in a new direction, and the "board" doesn't see it so they fight the pastor on it.  Of course they don't see it, they are not looking from his vantage point.  And yes, he is God's man, chosen and ordained by God to lead that group.  It's an awesome responsibility and very easy to criticize when we're not the ones in his shoes.  Again I say that if a person feels they can't follow the Pastor because they feel that he is not being led by the Holy Ghost, then it would be better for everyone if that individual leaves, than to sow seeds of discord in the body.  If in fact he's not spirit led, leaving would've been a good idea, anyway, if he is being led by the spirit and you refuse to see it, than at best you're a stumblingblock for the ministry anyway.

nessa you preaching!!! me personally if i cant trust that my pastor is being led to do what he does and the decision he gives us under the holy ghost then i dont think that i would wanna stay there!!! "follow me as i follow christ"

Offline MaMia1229

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2006, 10:35:24 PM »
Hey errybody,

I believe that the qui should be involved in choosing a M.O.M. I say this because we had a musician who was leaving to go back to school and so the pastor of our church basically hired someone the week after our musician left!!I mean it was obvious there was no prayer involved, whatsoever!!! And the musician we have now is basically the epitome of horrible, but our pastor sees something in him...what the Qui and the rest of the congregation sees is a hot mess!!! I mean he's an ex-con, runnin women IN THE CHURCH nah!, in the police log every other week, and STILL sits up there on the keyboard and plays !! Excuse me if it sounds like i'm just putting our business out there, but its the truth and yall had to get the Just of it!! LOL Basically, what i'm saying is...the Pastor isn't right allll the time, so it would help if possibly the entire music department was involved!!.. My opinion only!  :)

Offline rovelmorris

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2006, 10:20:07 PM »
This question has a lot of ways to be answered. First of all in Jamaica the minister of music is not normally hired in most churches..(I am taking hiring to mean that someone is brought in who is paid to train the choir) I think the criteria for hiring a M.O.M should be as follows:-

The person should preferrable be a member of the church
Someone the choir members will respect
Someone whose christian life is unquestionable
Someone who knows music inside out

I believe that the M.O.M should be hired by the Music Department and the Choir as they are the ones who will be working with the individuals or individual...there are some churches who do not have many M.O.M to select from so if only one person is suitable the need for prayer is almost rhetorical..however if there are many suitable candidates for this position then a selection of candidates should be made by the music, which intewrviews these individuals and a choice made...I think this selection is not the duty of the Pastor as the members of the Music Department should also be spiritual enough to let God guide them..that is a growing church..there are some things that the Pastor should get involved in..however he should be consulted before and informed of the strategy to be undertaken by the music department and give them  his blessing..That was what happened when I was selected as a M.O.M.. 

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2006, 11:41:19 PM »
Welcome to LGM  MaMia1229
Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.

Offline Long Fingers

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2006, 07:02:00 AM »
No, they shouldn't. I believe that's something that should be left up to the pastor(s) and/or the other musicians.

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2006, 10:41:58 PM »
Welcome To LGM, rovelmorris

Offline Grammi

• LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2006, 12:11:21 PM »
Passuh need to consult with someone who knows music and music ministry. Hopefully he has a friend or two who can provide him with assistance.
There are sooo many churches that have choirs but no real music ministry...and thats because of the way MOM's work now. I think it's crazy for 1 MOM to be at 3 or 4 churches in as many years.
I think they should call it Music Director...cuz most MOM's aren't ministers at all.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up