LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.

Poll

(Poll Question) Can or Should the Pastor (DOC) a Musicians Salary?

Yes
No
Not sure
Depends/ on the issue
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: (Poll Question) Can or Should the Pastor (DOC) a Musicians Salary?  (Read 12527 times)

Offline goodnmemphis

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: (Poll Question) Can or Should the Pastor (DOC) a Musicians Salary?
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2008, 12:04:05 PM »
Many churches are establishing contracts with musicians and ministers of music.  This may sound unnecessary in the church, but there is NOTHING that causes more contention than a misunderstanding over money....whether in the church or secular.  We might as well face 2008 reality.  I played for a church about 20 years ago that docked pay.  I thought it was ridiculous.  It was as if they thought of reasons to dock.  Example:  one Sunday night service I showed up sick as a dog.  The pastor knew this.  I played through the whole service.  When he was preaching, I left. (He was not a 'hooping' preacher so he needed no organ during his sermon).  The only thing I would have missed is the closing song (congregational).  I was docked HALF my weekly pay.

We often hear about people playing for money as a bad thing.  But consider this:  the last church I played for as a non-member, I was there for 5 years...EVERY Sunday (except one about 4 years ago when I was on vacation).  There was no contract...no understanding or consideration about 'out of the ordinary' things.  When Choir day was coming up I worked extra hard...sometimes committing to extra weekly rehearsals.  Often they had to sing elsewhere on Sundays and during the week. No extra pay.  However, the Sunday I was on vacation, I did not receive pay.  I am negotiating with a church right now coming on board as a MOM.  No need in pretending to not want certain things and then be bitter about it later when you don't get it.  In addition to the office they're offering and the salary, part of MY request is a paid vacation.  After a year, I should be able to miss a Sunday and not be docked when I'm faithfully there at all times (my opinion).

Inasmuch as we hear about musicians "just being out there for the money" (and some ARE), we also have to address the issue of churches that take advantage of musicians.  If you don't have 'bred' musicians within your OWN congregation, you can't get touchy about having to PAY a musician to minister in your services...and if you never compensate for the 'extras' but are quick to dock for being late or services missed (especially when notified in advance) the church will be once again LOOKING for a musician.

On my SECULAR job, I am a salaried manager.  Just this week I was late one day because of going to the doctor to have blood work done as part of my annual physical.  However, we also had an early morning meeting this week and a training session that included a "working lunch" (no lunch break that day).  My check won't be docked for any time missed...it all balanced out.

I've interviewed with a few churches lately and two of them mentioned contracts.  I think that's the future....it's more of a covenant than a contract.  We're not going to sue each other, but when you put things in writing you understand YOUR obligations and they understand THEIRS.

Offline goodnmemphis

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2008, 12:08:01 PM »
I believe in covenant relationships.  When it comes to a paid musician/m.o.m, he or she should recieve a salary that is not contract based, but service based.  In other words,  in the course of negotiations, they should not be paid by the Sunday or event, but by their commitment.   In that, a church should allow one conference, one week for sick leave or personal days, and then vacation time.  My church allows me five Sundays to be out ministering elsewhere without affecting my pay.  Anything over that does affect pay.  Now even when I'm gone, I'm still fully responsible for the services being covered with worship leaders, musicians, and special music.  Many problems that churches have with music people goes back to character problems which are fed because pastors are competing with each other and therefore look at talent over character and ultimately hurt the integrity of the whole ministry.

AMEN!  AMEN!  I didn't read this until AFTER I posted my response.  Very well spoken!

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Lord Can Do All Things!

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2008, 11:13:58 PM »
He is an employee who is the boss---just like your boss is an employee of your company but he has the authority to hire and fire you.

I agree, with Nessa---guidelines should first be established. So let it be written, so let it be done!   ;) I docked a musician who habitually showed up late. That was all the motivation he needed to get his act together.

This will motivate one!  LOL!
Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

Can or should we doc the Pastor's Salary?
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2008, 11:30:18 PM »
How about this: Can or should the church doc a Pastor's Salary?  ;D

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Lord Can Do All Things!

Re: Can or should we doc the Pastor's Salary?
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2008, 09:51:42 PM »

WOW!  LOL! :D
Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.

Offline jdholliday

• LGM Member
    • spreading the word worship center

Re: Can or should we doc the Pastor's Salary?
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2008, 03:03:04 PM »
Not if he doesen't get one ;D

Pastor Jeff

Offline under13

• LGM Member

Re: Can or should the church doc a Pastor's Salary?
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2008, 12:31:06 PM »
Not if he doesen't get one ;D

Pastor Jeff

I was just messin wit yall  ;D

Offline divinemusician

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Striving to be a Proverbs 31
    • www.freewebs.com/lkdesignandprm

« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2008, 03:05:23 AM »
Just a question. what would your mucisian contract look like. Does anybody have one on file that they can copy and paste... to give people a general idea of what it should look like
DivineMusician
1Love
My Praise is high and my worship is deep. God you have been so good to ME.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up