LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Start a Petition to Ban Transposing  (Read 9677 times)

Runs_N_12_Keys

Start a Petition to Ban Transposing
« on: September 14, 2006, 03:56:07 PM »
Who's with me  it should be illegal .... 

This one Church Agrees with me

Scales

It's the ROC

No more Transposing

Offline new2hammondC3

• LGM Member

Re: Start a Petition to Ban Transposing
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 04:15:05 PM »
hmmmmm sounds like they are discouraging musicians who are unable to play in all twelves keys and sending them into the world of Satan where transposing is welcomed. I understand where you are getting at, but be mindful that regardless, God's will must go on through his "Ministers of Music" (Whether they can play in all keys or not)

Keys410

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 04:41:54 PM »
I say it like this hit that key when needed. I know I might be playing with my organ player and he will take it up and I barely know the song so you know I use it when needed. I do think that we should practice learning how to do that but until you can use it, but don't let it become a handicap.

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 04:52:11 PM »
I like that sign. :) 
:)

Offline Metronome

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 07:24:26 PM »
Dude that sign is everything
Keep It Funky

Offline pianofingers21

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 08:04:37 PM »
lame.

B3hammondboy

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 08:12:25 PM »
NO COMMENT!!!! >:( >:(

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 08:31:23 PM »
I had this discussion just the other day with someone just the other day.  I use to be hard on transposing, but I now realize that people have different goals in there playing.  And there's nothing wrong with being your everyday average musician that play in 1 of 12 that wouldn't have been a musician 30 years ago.  Nothing is wrong with that. :D

Offline PalmoreD

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 02:00:23 AM »
Nothing's wrong until you leave your power cord at home!   ;D

Offline RMS2003

• LGM Member
    • YouTube Page

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 09:47:54 AM »
There is a way to play a song written in a key you don't know, without transposing on the keyboard. It's something we do at our church. Change the key the music is written in. We do this quite a bit, sometimes for the musicians, and other times for the singers. However, when changing the key for the singers, we have to find one that the musicians can play in and is comfortable for the singers. It all works out though.

I got a nice laugh out of the sign, but it's really not anyone's place to tell a musician how to play. God is going to annoint the musician whether he transposes or not. That sign (assuming it truley exists and wasn't photoshopped) is just another point proven that there's too much formality and "this is how it has to be" in the church.

Offline PianoWizard

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 費思是能力到不恐慌

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2006, 09:53:08 AM »
NO COMMENT!!!! >:( >:(

I with you on this one "B3hammondboy"..... :-X :)

PianoWiz...

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2006, 02:27:48 PM »
If you saw your pastor weekend and week out preaching straight from a book entitled "52 Sermons Vol 1" weekend and week out.  Then 5 years later, he was still preaching from a book entitled "52 Sermons Vol V", it would be pretty hard to believe that he was Called by God to preach.

Have you ever seen a Classical Musician use a transpose button??  In Gospel our standards are sooooo low that people actually start getting mad if you talk against transposing.  As oppose to other genres think its the norm to play in all keys.

Offline KurzLand

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2006, 02:50:14 PM »

Have you ever seen a Classical Musician use a transpose button??

I like to play classical music. I sometimes play classical for worship songs.

No transpose button on a Grand piano.
"Experience is not what happens to a man; it is what a man does with what happens to him." -A.Huxley

Offline SupremeSaltine

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2006, 02:50:34 PM »
There's no transpose button either of my C3's. ?/?

Offline PianoWizard

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 費思是能力到不恐慌

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2006, 03:20:51 PM »
If you saw your pastor weekend and week out preaching straight from a book entitled "52 Sermons Vol 1" weekend and week out.  Then 5 years later, he was still preaching from a book entitled "52 Sermons Vol V", it would be pretty hard to believe that he was Called by God to preach.

Have you ever seen a Classical Musician use a transpose button??  In Gospel our standards are sooooo low that people actually start getting mad if you talk against transposing.  As oppose to other genres think its the norm to play in all keys.

Great point "4hisglory"..... :).....but why is that..... ?/?.......

Why are the standards for gospel musicians are soooooo low......???

PianoWiz...

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2006, 12:14:08 AM »
Because now-a-days churches are so desperate for musicians that most of them don't really care how u play, as long as they got some music in they church.  This sends a bad message that it ain't important to actually be a "musician", all u have to do is provide music by any means necessary, even cheating.
Who's with me  it should be illegal .... 

This one Church Agrees with me

Scales

It's the ROC

No more Transposing

I will gladly co-sign on this.  The T-button has messed a lot of us up and it's time we get back to the way they did it back in the day.  Either the piano or the organ, no T-button on either so u got no choice but to learn every key.  It's true that you may be playing to the glory of God, but you need to play skillfully, and that means learn to play in all keys.  Don't put a limit on yourself, if you put forth that effort, I'm sure God will help you out.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

B3hammondboy

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2006, 01:05:28 AM »
I have no problem with musicians using the "T-Bottom" as long as they don't use it as a crutch.

Runs_N_12_Keys

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2006, 10:43:34 AM »

(MY) Translation.......... If you have been playing the Keys for over 10 Years and can only play in C# Ab and Eb   (IN MY MY MY MY MY......MY OPINION)   something is  WRONG...

Now I created this thread for humorous purposes But the content of it is meant whole heartedly Most Cats abuse the T Button(Plain and Simple)

TRANSPOSING 101
QUESTION

Your in Praise Service on your Triton Pro and Sister Offkey starts Singing "Let it Be real" in A natural.. you transpose to Ab and get thru the Song.....The next  week Sister Offkey sings the Same Song in the Same Key  What do you do?????

A) Play it in A Natural because after the first time she sung it you immediately went home and practiced in that key for hours

B) Front like you can't get any sound out of the keyboard to avoid playing

C) Call Run_N_12_Keys from Rochester NY to come and assist you

D) Transpose to Ab for the 2nd time

It makes me sick to my stomach to see some of these Arrogant Key players that can only Beast in 2 keys and got to nerve to get defensive when you call them out for not perfecting their Craft  .........  That makes no sense to me and no matter how well you articulate or Biblify (thats a word?  lol) it ..........  I will not understand it ..

Offline PianoWizard

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 費思是能力到不恐慌

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2006, 11:01:42 AM »
Because now-a-days churches are so desperate for musicians that most of them don't really care how u play, as long as they got some music in they church.  This sends a bad message that it ain't important to actually be a "musician", all u have to do is provide music by any means necessary, even cheating.

I hear ya' LOUD & CLEAR... :)

PianoWiz...

Offline lockslie1

• LGM Member
  • Skyline!!!
    • PTS MUSIC COMPANY

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2006, 12:31:03 PM »
First of all....Everyone should know that is not a real sign...just go to chuchsigngenerator.com....Secondly....I do have a problem with musicians whose use that button as a crutch, but the transpose button was a blessing for me and it helped me to learn ALL of the keys....Hopefully, this can be a blessing and help someone, but when I first started playing keys I would target a different key every Sunday service until I perfected the key and became fluent..1st Sunday I would transpose every song that was sang to B natural for example and play EVERY song in B...The next Sunday I would target D for every song or C or F# on and on.....One key per Sunday until I got all of them down...I now know how to play in every key without the transpose because of that method...I guess it's something God gave to me because it has really helped. That is the only way I feel transpose can be of a help to your learning...I have no problem with transpose buttons for those who are just there to play and are not really serious...To each his own...I guess :)

God Bless
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up