LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Start a Petition to Ban Transposing  (Read 9767 times)

Offline Big_Al

• LGM Member

Re: Start a Petition to Ban Transposing
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2006, 04:04:55 PM »
Transposers ... well

I was playing with a transposer, and he was keeping up with me. I was, wow, God has blessed him, and most of all, he has been practicing. Then, I was asked to play a song. So I jumped of the organ to play the paino, and told the bass player, the key of the song. Well, when I start playing the intro which should be in Db, the keyboard was transposed to F.

What does a real keybopardist do in this case? Well, I moved to F and continued the song. As for the transposer, I'm giving him lessons every Saturday.

-Al
All That I Am, I Owe to the LORD.

Offline bishopcole

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • YES INDEED!!! AND THATS A RAP!!!

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2006, 06:15:17 PM »
Transposers ... well

I was playing with a transposer, and he was keeping up with me. I was, wow, God has blessed him, and most of all, he has been practicing. Then, I was asked to play a song. So I jumped of the organ to play the paino, and told the bass player, the key of the song. Well, when I start playing the intro which should be in Db, the keyboard was transposed to F.

What does a real keybopardist do in this case? Well, I moved to F and continued the song. As for the transposer, I'm giving him lessons every Saturday.

-Al

I too Al, have been in this same situation several times and I have done the same as you done. I just went on and played the song in the key that the keyboard was in.  Bishop Cole
"Stay in God Always"  - Bishop Lamar Cole
"It's not about the Music, it's about the Ministry"

Offline new2hammondC3

• LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2006, 10:40:25 PM »
I saw someone post soemthing about 52 sermons volume one......When I first started, I will playing songs in the original key. When I realized what key I was most comfortable with, I begin using the transpose button. I have the ability to play in almost every key and I can learn a song in its original key but I can do more in C#. What I am trying to say is that God blesses me and I am annointed....When I transpose, my playing reaches people and when I don't transpose, my playing reaches people. There are a lot of things going on with in the church that should not be going on now but we still practice it. And to tell the truth, I know a lot of "Ministers of Music". I would rather have someone who is annointed and is playing truly for God who has to transpose to carry on service than someone who knows every key but plays for self cause or just playing to receive the Glory.(And I know that for a fact)

Offline mr_c32005

• LGM Member
    • www.nazarethpress.info

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2006, 02:59:56 PM »
Well me Personally I don't use the T-button b/c i can play in all keys... but i have been noted to use the T-button on a keybord because it's convenient, not because i need but it's just something that i do sumtimes when im on a keybord!!!!! now when im on an organ, even the newer models with the transpose, i don't use it cause i don't like too... Weird??? yeah it is but this is me... So if u wanna use transpose thats u, but don't become so 'laxed that u depend on it or as i heard some others say "use it as a cruch.." Because ur just limiting ur self to never got pass the Transpose Button!!! You should want to perfect ur talent in as many ways possible!!!! just my take!!!
Hebrews 11:1.
God Bless You..
http://www.myspace.com/c3killa

Offline mitiboo

• LGM Member
  • I can do all things through Christ....

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2006, 04:36:49 PM »
All I can say is WOW!
Jesus is My Strength!

Offline ddw4e

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Just doing what i do! LOL!

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2006, 03:41:18 PM »

I too Al, have been in this same situation several times and I have done the same as you done. I just went on and played the song in the key that the keyboard was in.  Bishop Cole

That had happen to me too many times, but it don't bother me at all.
MERCY EN!!

Offline Gibby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Dad...i'm ready for the world!

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2006, 04:14:12 PM »
All I can say is WOW!

WELCOME TO LGM!!!

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2006, 04:45:16 PM »
I'll fess up, I've used the xpose button in my beginning days.

But yeh, what happens when the power goes out and theres just a piano?

and BTW, i once went to a church that has a hammond WITH A TRANSPOSE SWITCH....

i was like,(click link to see)

http://wso.williams.edu/orgs/choir/MUSIC/previous-years/Carl%20Orff%20-%20Carmina%20Burana%20-%20O%20Fortuna%20(Intro).mp3
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

It wasnt one of those Midi joints. It was a real hammond with a  crazy retrofit. boy, I wanted to join that church.....

HustleMan

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2006, 09:51:28 AM »

(MY) Translation.......... If you have been playing the Keys for over 10 Years and can only play in C# Ab and Eb   (IN MY MY MY MY MY......MY OPINION)   something is  WRONG...

Now I created this thread for humorous purposes But the content of it is meant whole heartedly Most Cats abuse the T Button(Plain and Simple)

It makes me sick to my stomach to see some of these Arrogant Key players that can only Beast in 2 keys and got to nerve to get defensive when you call them out for not perfecting their Craft  .........  That makes no sense to me and no matter how well you articulate or Biblify (thats a word?  lol) it ..........  I will not understand it ..

Preach dat thang!!!!!!!!

They're LAZY, and instead of putting in time in ALL keys, they come up with fancy nonsense like "God will still anoint transposers" and "church formality"   :D  :D  :D

But you know what?  They're only hurting themselves.  Because transposing kills your ear.  If you transpose everything to one key, it handicaps you until you decide to break free and master your gift.

If you put a transposer on a Piano, they'll sweat like Rush Limbaugh at a Weight Watchers Convention.  Why?  Because they simply can't play in every key. 

Fake it until you make it.  Go through the fire.  Play in E and A and B.  You're going to play a few sour notes, and you may sound bland, but eventually, you'll be able to sit down and play anything in any key. 

Don't make fancy excuses like "God anoints everyone", because you're only hurting yourself.

Offline MinAJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2006, 03:56:53 PM »
I can't hate Hustleman.  I personally haven't mastered all keys yet, YET.  I'm hungry right now.  I practice for hours trying to get these chords down in all keys.  I have to say on the other hand.  I've been in services where the organist could not play in the key the singer was singing.   That key challenged me as well, but when I transposed and picked them up, the whole mood of the service changed.  People started praising, the singer looked over and smiled and began to sing like never before.  After service I told the organist, "WE need to practice some more".  If you love the keys, you'll sacrafice the time to get better.  I can't describe the feeling of getting better.  Man it feels good! :)
Now unto him who is able...

rjthakid

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2006, 04:23:41 PM »
I can't hate Hustleman.  I personally haven't mastered all keys yet, YET.  I'm hungry right now.  I practice for hours trying to get these chords down in all keys.  I have to say on the other hand.  I've been in services where the organist could not play in the key the singer was singing.   That key challenged me as well, but when I transposed and picked them up, the whole mood of the service changed.  People started praising, the singer looked over and smiled and began to sing like never before.  After service I told the organist, "WE need to practice some more".  If you love the keys, you'll sacrafice the time to get better.  I can't describe the feeling of getting better.  Man it feels good! :)

I ain't mad atcha.  I have a problem with people who have been playing for 7 YEARS and won't even TOUCH playing in E.

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2006, 05:40:38 PM »
um, "E"?

:o :o :o :o :o :o

HustleMan

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2006, 10:22:34 AM »

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My dog Bear (125lbs of Luv)
    • Wolfram a/k/a Don Zlaty

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2006, 02:38:33 PM »
I find the sign snobbish...

Prideful, egotistical and downright sinful by nature. 

My opinion is this:

Pay attention to what you are playing, don't concern yourself with how another brother needs to make things work for themselves and quite judging.

I play saxophone as a primary.  I also play keyboards.  There have been time that I have come in at a show's call time and the singer has come down with some funky voice tribulation.  Now, I am well versed in theory.  I am also no slouch on the keys, but let's say that I have been rehearsing this piece for a week in the key of Eb and now their is NO WAY the soloist will ever hit those notes.  I opt to help her out and drop the key. 

I could with one hour or less time:

1) Try to play all the key lines that I have worked out in Eb in this new key, hoping I do not sound like I just stepped on a hand grenade.

2)  Transpose my keyboards to the new key and play as usual.  No one is the wiser and I have provided the SUPPORT the singer needed. 

If I play on a piano, then I would have to sit down a rehash the chords on some paper just so I would get the changes right. 

The transposition feature on modern keyboards does not have to be a bad thing...

Try not to become elitist... :)

Peace,

Wolfram

P.S.  I do play in all twelve keys....

HustleMan

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2006, 02:57:11 PM »
I find the sign snobbish...

Prideful, egotistical and downright sinful by nature. 

My opinion is this:

Pay attention to what you are playing, don't concern yourself with how another brother needs to make things work for themselves and quite judging.

I play saxophone as a primary.  I also play keyboards.  There have been time that I have come in at a show's call time and the singer has come down with some funky voice tribulation.  Now, I am well versed in theory.  I am also no slouch on the keys, but let's say that I have been rehearsing this piece for a week in the key of Eb and now their is NO WAY the soloist will ever hit those notes.  I opt to help her out and drop the key. 

I could with one hour or less time:

1) Try to play all the key lines that I have worked out in Eb in this new key, hoping I do not sound like I just stepped on a hand grenade.

2)  Transpose my keyboards to the new key and play as usual.  No one is the wiser and I have provided the SUPPORT the singer needed. 

If I play on a piano, then I would have to sit down a rehash the chords on some paper just so I would get the changes right. 

The transposition feature on modern keyboards does not have to be a bad thing...

Try not to become elitist... :)

Peace,

Wolfram

P.S.  I do play in all twelve keys....

Jesus.  Talk about missing the point.   :D  :D  :D

We're not talking about somebody who learns a song in one key (usually the original key) then has to play it, on the fly, in another key.

We're talking about someone who is Cold Blooded in 3 keys and simply can't play in other keys.

And the Transpose button can be WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!

YES I SAID IT!!!!!!

I'll take my Ipod, sit at my keyboard.  I put the earbuds in my ear, and the Keyboard headphones over them.  I adjust the volume on the Ipod and the keyboard till neither one overshadows the other (I'm showin yall my secrets!!!).  I listen to a song, find out what the orginal key is, and play along.  I then transpose other keys to the original key!  This way I can learn the song in all 12 keys.  :)

The danger in this is that it hampers your ear.  The huge positive is that you can play the song right along with the track, in every key, and not sound off.

There are EXTREME circumstances, like the one you listed, and then there's plain laziness.

If you're using the Transpose because you can't play in every key....and you're not TRYING to learn how to play in every key....then the Transpose button is hindering your progress as a musician.

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2006, 03:00:49 PM »
Just something to ponder. Do you think the same concept of transposing could be used when someone does not learn a song note for note and chord for chord?

Offline MinAJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2006, 04:15:25 PM »
Howbout that.  This is coming from someone who has not mastered all keys yet. (But is trying).  Transposing can help as much as it can hurt.  DO NOT LIMIT YOURSELF.  Learning a song chord for chord and note for note is fine.  But why limit yourself.  The courtesy it to learn the song the way it was recorded, then add your own flavor.  What bothers me is when people say "that's not how they did it on the album".  At what point do we allow the annointing to play a part in how we play or sing a song?
Now unto him who is able...

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2006, 04:25:20 PM »

now thats a phrase that gets my goat....

eesh.

Offline KurzLand

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2006, 08:39:21 PM »
WOW!
"Experience is not what happens to a man; it is what a man does with what happens to him." -A.Huxley

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2006, 08:52:36 PM »
I feel ya!
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up