LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: (Thinking out Loud) Theory Vs. Reading Music  (Read 3026 times)

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

Re: (Thinking out Loud) Theory Vs. Reading Music
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2006, 09:54:57 AM »
Reading music is like reading a book.  Understanding theory is like understand what you just read.

Agreed! Uhm you really cant seperate the two! Put the time in to learn!
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline Andrzej

• LGM Member
  • I've got 5 on it!
    • Kings Church

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2006, 11:12:17 AM »
I learned how to read music whilst I was in school when I played cello and piano.  I can't sight read and play along too well on a bass...not as well as a piano, but I can look at the notes and tell what I need to play and in which key.  The only time I read music is when I play Jazz or discuss bass melodies with a keys player.  I play mostly by ear, but if I am stuck for ideas I usually refer to the sheet music.  It's certainly very helpful to know.

The benefit that you get with learning how to read music is that you can pick out the pace and the beat of the melody and rhythm much better than tablature.  Reading music is really not that hard...I would say it's easier than learning tablature.  I think a lot of people are frightened to learn.  You will get to know your fretboard, notes and scales much better reading music.  Tab tells you where to place your fingers...sheet notation tells you what notes to play and you must know where on the fingerboard to play the notes.  There's quite a difference.  It's a bit more challenging, but it's definately worth learning and it improves your scale knowledge.

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2006, 11:19:29 AM »
Agreed! Uhm you really cant seperate the two! Put the time in to learn!
I agree.
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up