LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coming up with licks  (Read 575 times)

Pearldrummer1

Coming up with licks
« on: September 16, 2006, 08:06:54 PM »
Since I've been maturing lately as a drummer, as well as an overall lover of music, I've noticed how every drummer has there own arsenal of licks and tricks that they seem to throw out at any given time. Now I myself have an arsenal which is a mix between things that I've practiced, things that have came to me, and then the licks that have been influenced, and originated from other drummers. God has blessed me in a way so that my arsenal has grown significantly over the years. But I'm somewhat confused...Lately I feel overwhelmed to come up with new licks. I'm primarily a pockett drummer, so the majority of licks I'm capable of, I keep them to myself. I've spent lots of time developing and learning to respect pockett drumming but licks seem to define the kind of drummer that I really am. Basically, you might get a nice, complicated lick out of me every few Sunday's if God moves me to do that. I just feel greedy for wanting to expand my licks, despite the fact that the ones I have I dont really use except when I'm at home practicing or having a jam session or something like that. Has anyone else felt like that, or is that just me???

Offline CJKeyboardPlaya

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Coming up with licks
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 08:12:04 PM »
i feel you on that one. i mean i am too a pockett drummer... cuz the people i play wit tell me all the time to stay in da pockett. so nah ur not the only one. altho i do want to get alot alot better at my licks and fills and all that so they wont mind me doing all them tricks....

jus my 2cents....

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 09:51:25 PM »
I've had the recent experience where the band I've been on & off with for the last 5-6years has really upped their level of experimentation... & its almost a prerequisite now to come to practices WITH licks. The beauty in this is not the fact that I get to expand from being a pocket drummer but the fact that the band as a WHOLE does licks together. So everything moves along but is kept nice & tight. I don't get choice about what licks I bring to the table... its more like we have practice & the MD will say we're throwing in this & that so next week everbody's gotta come back with something that is their own but fits the accents, licks, intros, outros etc...

Maybe if you can find a band that is willing to do that, then you can "vent" all of the fills that you want to get out of yourself that's away from a normal practice situation.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 11:30:19 PM »
Learn to play everything in time and you will not disturb the pocket. I you cannot play time (notational value/space) then you will always her folk saying "stay in the pocket". You have to develop a Libray of Rhythms to pull from, cut-n-paste yada, yada. Concentrate on musicality and orchestration. I am sure you have not fully explored all the voice, sticking/footing and dynamic possibilities of your current aresenal.

Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline Metronome

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 09:51:52 AM »
Dude, i feel you.  Just keep practicin.  I know exactly how they be all over you so its lkinda like you avoid doin them not to hear them drone on  and on (I used to do the same thing with the Area choir).  Just keep it in the pocket and eventually, you'll be able to get out.  Think like this, when D first came to LW like 9 or 10 years ago, was he all over it like he is now.............NO!  He played pocket for a minute before he got outrageous.  Just keep doin what you doin, you'll be fine
Keep It Funky

rjthakid

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 10:44:49 AM »
I definitely hear you.

For the most part, Church is not a place that allows you to bust out alot of crazy licks.  In my church, the MD wants me to play straight with a moderate lick here and there.  I'm actually going to the first rehearsal for a new band tonight.  I'm hoping this will be an opportunity for me to be creative in a different setting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up