LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Evans EC2 or Remo Pinstripe?  (Read 4191 times)

Offline djdavis

• LGM Member
  • Me Sheddin
    • http://www.myspace.com/davidjdavis

Evans EC2 or Remo Pinstripe?
« on: September 17, 2006, 02:11:57 PM »
i will be goin 2 drummer live this saturday and io hope to get some new drum heads.

I hav a low end stagg kit which produces a lot of overtones and i want a head which will produce little or none

i read somewhere that remo pinstripes reduce overtones but i don't know if they are as good as ec2s...

can you lot give me some ideas as to which ould be the best heads to get out of the 2?

God Bless

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

Re: Evans EC2 or Remo Pinstripe?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 02:27:48 PM »
Pinstripe all the way!
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline CJKeyboardPlaya

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 02:28:46 PM »
Pinstripe all the way!
thats wat i wood use...

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 07:49:05 PM »
EC2's.

Offline Ibilddrums

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 07:55:45 PM »
EC2's.
I second that....
I think that the REMO PINSTRIPES are a lot flatter sounding than the EVANS EC2's....

EC2's have a great response...

Offline BEATBOXERZ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 08:26:35 PM »
 I don't know about the EC2's. but they may be the way to go.

Offline stiksnmypocket

• LGM Member
    • Myspace

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 09:17:26 PM »
EVANS EC2'S all the way, think about it EC2 new Technolgy, Remo Pinstripes....blow off the dust, Old Technology, now new isn't always good but in this case it's the smart way to go....good luck
Do what you do, but do it well!!!

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 10:56:30 PM »
EC2s... I would put Genera Resonants on the bottom (not G1s)
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline dwhitta

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 11:00:30 PM »
Honestly, i think the evans EC2 will work out better than pinstripe, simply because pinstripe give off alot of excess ringin'. Some cats thought that aquarian studio x tom heads were the way to go, but evans give alot of good output.

Offline Krazy_afro_man

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 11:44:22 PM »
MAn ec2's my fooot!!! Lets not all pretend like remo did not pave the way. Remo is my pick, and someone mentioned oil drying up in the pinstrpes? Remo pinstripes last a long time and are more durable than evans. Plus you get a warmer, more defined sound.....

Offline BEATBOXERZ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 01:44:17 AM »
DJ. If you're gonna go with one of the 2 choices (EC2 or Pinstripes) go the with the new technology EC2. Pinstripes are old news. They will go flat after 3TO 6 months. THEY DO NOT LAST LONG AT ALL. Personally, I going right back Aquarian. They sound good as do Evans and Remo, but they last alot longer.Trust me lil man I've in the game for 30yrs. and played alot of different heads and know what I'm talking about. If you're looking for a warm sound pinstripe are not the way to go. They are tuddy, good for heavy playing. They sound ok behind the set, but when you're in front of the set at a distance, they lose alot of natural sound that the wood provides. It's like a choker. Evans have a fundemental problem also.The metal hoops are weak and will slip out from the skin. It happened to me twice. They sound good, but I'm not going through that again. Aquarians have stronger reinforced hoops and they sound great... Ultimately find out for yourself and keep an open-minded prospective and decide for yourself. If your ear say so and if they feel good when you hit them, than you have your anwser.

Offline Metronome

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 10:04:52 AM »
I like both, but my grandmoms be buyin my heads for me (I'm her lil baby!) so i get new Pinstripes like 4-6 times a year.  If you ona budget restraint DEFINITELY get the EC2's.  They both sound great (if you know how to tune) but EC2's last soooo much longer.  If i had to buy all of my heads, I woud definitely buy EC2 coateds.
Keep It Funky

Offline Praise_Productions

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • You just have to surrender to the music!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2006, 10:29:53 AM »
Go with the EC2 top and G1 bottom.  When tuning them apply more tension to the bottom head than the top and you will be straight, it will eliminate overtone and give you a nice sound.
Say hello to my little friend!!!!

Offline djdavis

• LGM Member
  • Me Sheddin
    • http://www.myspace.com/davidjdavis

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2006, 11:11:17 AM »
i went and got EC2s, they sound nice..on my 1st tom...my 2nd and floor tom are hard to tune and they give some overtones..i wonder if i should change the reso heads

Offline BEATBOXERZ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2006, 01:01:17 PM »
i went and got EC2s, they sound nice..on my 1st tom...my 2nd and floor tom are hard to tune and they give some overtones..i wonder if i should change the reso heads
Good Choice, better than the pins. What are you using for your resos? If there old and cheap, I say change them.

JFunky

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2006, 01:52:41 PM »
The problem with pin stripes is that as soon as the oil is dryed up, the heads are no good. I don't know about the EC2's. but they may be the way to go.

...hey BeatBoxerz, Pinstripes don't have oil in them.  If you buy them new it may look like they have oil in between the plies but they don't.  That's just an effect caused by light.  Also, what you see as dried up is the glue used.  It's on their website in case you need conformation.  Remo.com, Drumtalk.  Trust me, I know.  (I was a member there many moons ago and they had many threads about this very thing.)

Offline BEATBOXERZ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2006, 03:02:56 PM »
...hey BeatBoxerz, Pinstripes don't have oil in them.  If you by them new it may look like they have oil in between the plies but they don't.  That's just an effect caused by light.  Also, what you see as dried up is the glue used.  It's on their website in case you need conformation.  Remo.com, Drumtalk.  Trust me, I know.  (I was a member there many moons ago and they had many threads about this very thing.)
Good lookin' out. I stand corrected. For some reason I was told and always though that was some type of lubricant. So that's glue huh?. I use to play pins when I was younger. It's not like I have a problem with them, but I start to explore different sounds with other heads and I like the coated sound and feel. I would most def play them ambassadors. Thanks for the info. ;)

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2006, 01:37:23 AM »
Good lookin' out. I stand corrected. For some reason I was told and always though that was some type of lubricant. So that's glue huh?. I use to play pins when I was younger. It's not like I have a problem with them, but I start to explore different sounds with other heads and I like the coated sound and feel. I would most def play them ambassadors. Thanks for the info. ;)

Yep, EVANS Hydraulics are the only ones out with oil between the plys. EVANS invented that.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2006, 03:41:37 AM »
Remo Pinstripe all the way! Call me old fasion!
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2006, 09:20:23 AM »
Remo Pinstripe all the way! Call me old fasion!

Hey BBD, instead of the word tambor in your avatar...you need to use the word "bateria" that is the proper word for drums in spanish.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up