LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When on a gig......  (Read 995 times)

Offline yazakar

• LGM Member
  • The Greatest insrument alive!!!!

When on a gig......
« on: September 17, 2006, 07:52:36 PM »
Imagine... your going to one of your biggest gigs ever and you forgot the song once it starts. you don't know how to play by ear and you can only read a little. what will you do?....  my point is is it better to know how to read or play by ear on gigs.
There is only one God....

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

Re: When on a gig......
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 08:33:19 PM »
to be quite honest, I doubt it if you would have a big gig if you couldn't read or play by ear.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 08:58:33 PM »
I'm sure that's happened to all of us at least 'once'! LOL! I've never forgotten a song but I have started songs in the wrong key before and it's why I now always have key notes written on my setlists! And you have to be careful because the actual key of the song can be different than YOUR key note so always jot down some sort of note on your sheet music or setlists.
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 09:00:50 PM »
Well, I did start a song with the wrong bassline. We were supposed to be playing 'Under The Boardwalk' and I started with the bassline to 'Stand By Me' but we just flipflopped and made it through ok.
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 09:05:49 PM »
I'm sure that's happened to all of us at least 'once'! LOL! I've never forgotten a song but I have started songs in the wrong key before and it's why I now always have key notes written on my setlists! And you have to be careful because the actual key of the song can be different than YOUR key note so always jot down some sort of note on your sheet music or setlists.

I did that once while playing keys in a concert.  I made the mistake and had the transpose on, and man did I mess up the beginning of that song.  To this day, I hate the transpose key. ;D ;D, but I do right down the key of songs on my setlist as well.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline Browntiplocs

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 10:29:15 PM »
When it happens to me i have the keyboard playa sing the melody to me. i usually try to be more prepared so that these situations happen very rarely.

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 10:44:35 AM »
Well, I did start a song with the wrong bassline. We were supposed to be playing 'Under The Boardwalk' and I started with the bassline to 'Stand By Me' but we just flipflopped and made it through ok.

Stand by me was the first real bassline I've learned. It is my fav. to play. I use that to tune my bass by ear.

Offline carlmack7183

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Carl's Business

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 03:59:37 PM »
That has happened to me a couple of times, but now I assure that it wont b/c I practice for about 3hours the night before a gig and learn every song in as many keys that I can.

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 09:29:18 AM »
Imagine... your going to one of your biggest gigs ever and you forgot the song once it starts. you don't know how to play by ear and you can only read a little. what will you do?....  my point is is it better to know how to read or play by ear on gigs.

No limitations dude! You need to learn both! I have forgotten starts of songs before, I just turn and ask someone!
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!
Pages: [1]   Go Up