LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Set the Atmosphere.  (Read 3520 times)

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

Set the Atmosphere.
« on: September 20, 2006, 01:31:34 AM »
We know lucifer was in charge of the music in heaven and he set the atmosphere for God's holy place. Satan is now the prince of the power of the air. So he is basically holding the same role on earth now. We as musicians control the atmosphere of the service basically. So being in that role we should feel when change happens in the church atmosphere and have the power to change the church atmosphere.

Ive been thinking about this because I see that the spiritual atmosphere in my church had declined far from what it was but it is slowing regaining strength. There are times though when Im in service and people are bless and get in the spirit but something still seems to be missing. I find this strange. If I could see in the spirit I would know what it is. Anyone else have this experience? Im guessing from the position we are in we can see or feel this.

More stuff to think about.
If the musician is in the flesh would'nt the atmosphere in the service be fleshly. It the musician is in the spirit would'nt the atmosphere be spiritual. The bible says they that walk in the flesh can not please God. So if you are in the flesh playing in service, is God pleased with the environment you just created.

Many musicians bring fleshly tunes in the atmosphere and say there is no problem its just music but their intent was to be funny. Musicians are playing jazz standards in service that have nothing to do with God. If a musician plays this as entertainment in the service is he/she in the flesh?(Im not talking about a gospel song that sounds jazzy but stuff like giant steps)
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline Sweetsoundz

• LGM Member

Re: Set the Atmosphere.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 08:05:07 AM »
Been thinkin about that myself... it's an area i go back and forth on...i think our prayer should be for God to keep us in the spirit so that our ministry is pleasing to God and effective for the people.

I wish i cold see clearer in the spirit as you mentioned, so i could see exactly what is needed at certain moments during the svc. but until my vision is clearer, what i do is keep my eyes on the presider constantly, listen out for wails or shouts from the congregation, glance to see if there are people standing, crying, etc. I also instert a little tremolo (i like to call it thunder rumble) and see if we're ready to take it up.... or it may go back down. to be honest, i'm kinda fearful of being responsible over something as awesome as that, but God gave me the gift, Pastor appointed me, so.....

fleshly tunes in the church---hmmm.. i think it depends on the culture of your church and what the pastor deems as acceptable. for instance, my pastor is serious about the Word and righteousness and love, etc, but she is also like---"no more dry boring christians!" so if she's talking about married couple things and romance w/your spouse, etc., it's perfectly ok for me to play something like "turn off the lights" while she's ending up stuff. but things like that have their place. i wouldn't continue to play that if she started praying, etc.

Offline bongcai

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 01:03:46 PM »
Last week there was an alter call, I was playing the piano and we can really felt God's presence among us. Suddenly while playing the keyboard I feel my back is kinda hurt, I fell like something was moving from the back left part of my body to the middle part of my body. I don't have any history of back problem, do you think it is something to do with the holy spirit or it is just a sudden back problem, lol. Have you guys experienced something like this before?

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 06:06:47 PM »
Wow, Mysteryman, that is something to think about!  I find that I can feel the flow of the service and know what is needed, but not have the ABILITY to play what I feel in my spirit!  Talk about frustration!  Sometimes, though, when the presence of the Lord is just really strong in the place, I'll just learn stuff on the spot and it just flows, those services are just awesome.

I don't agree with playing secular stuff intentionally.  I pick up chords and progressions from so many people I may have done it without realizing it, but if the intent is for folks to recognize the words to the song, I don't think that has any place in the sanctuary, you'll have everybody singing some love song and reminiscing, when we should have our minds on worship.

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 09:32:45 PM »
Im not necessarily saying that the music or chords are the problem but when you knowingly play the flintstones in service you are trying to entertain. I believe many reasons why the anointing does not flow in a service and one of them is the spirit of the musicians today in worship. People dont see the anointing slowly leaving their churches they feel they are elevating and going on in God. You cant replace the anointing. People today feel if people shout or cry the anointing is in their church like it should be.

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 10:02:34 PM »
Im not necessarily saying that the music or chords are the problem but when you knowingly play the flintstones in service you are trying to entertain. I believe many reasons why the anointing does not flow in a service and one of them is the spirit of the musicians today in worship. People dont see the anointing slowly leaving their churches they feel they are elevating and going on in God. You cant replace the anointing. People today feel if people shout or cry the anointing is in their church like it should be.

I have seen that (Inspector Gadget was the song in my case), and I agree with you.

Offline KurzLand

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 07:47:05 PM »

More stuff to think about.
If the musician is in the flesh would'nt the atmosphere in the service be fleshly? It the musician is in the spirit would'nt the atmosphere be spiritual? The bible says they that walk in the flesh can not please God. So if you are in the flesh playing in service, is God pleased with the environment you just created?

I agree with this. That's why we need to pray before service to be ready. So that the service won't be fleshy and dry. I have notice that if I play to entertain nothing good comes out of if. If I play with all my heart for the lord then the holy spirit comes over me and the atmosphere changes.
"Experience is not what happens to a man; it is what a man does with what happens to him." -A.Huxley

Offline therealben

• LGM Member
  • Purple symbolizes royalty. I am a KING says Jesus

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 09:10:52 AM »
I think part of this is a lack of personal time with God. Most people pray before church, doing church, and rehearsals.  Now you can not expect God to use you, if you don't spend time with him. God won't war with flesh, and that hinders the movement of his spirit.

I was singing a few weeks ago. And i was asked to go and sing with the Praise Team so i did. Afterward the service was over, some of the people just wanted to hear me sing alone. And i kinda back off. I am shy about singing.. and didnt think i was a good singer.. But they wanted me to sing, so i tried. In the beginning i was off key, butchering words etc. Just a mess... But that was because i was singing to entertain and out of flesh. And then one of the guys just asked me to sing like it was just me and God, cause i spend alot of time praying Alone with God and i am more open when i do so..  SO i began to sing, just improvising whatever came into my heart..  And in that i got a breakthru, but not only that people have told me that my countenance began to change while i was singing and my singing was different.. Because of this the people in the church has began to focus on me. Not because i can or can not sing, but because I dont care about the people, I Care about my praises to MY GOD. When your focus is totally on Who you are praising, God will use you to shift the atmostphere. 

We often times forget why and to who we are singing and playing, and that becomes a hinderance. When i sing now, i sing on a personal level with God.this is because i praise God all the time, when i am walking, mowing the lawn, etc. So even in rehearsals God moves because we are praising him and not just rehearsing. So i believe if we take more personal time out for Christ and ACTIVELY seek him, then we will understand his movement and use us to move. Otherwise we are just entertaining the people and going through formalities. Which is a waste of the time God has alotted us.

benniedm

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 10:31:47 AM »
GOOD TOPIC GOOD TOPIC

Church service lack because His people LACK.

His people lost total personal realtionship with God. His people attends church and "connect" with the music, but never connect with his Spirit. The misconception that the annointing is a hoop, shot, and slober is a lie from the pit of Hell.(not that shouting is wrong, clearly i don it)..

God has been put in a box, we have documented God to a tee. And, when he comes differently from our "misconception of him", we Miss him.

As musicans, if you want to set a atmosphere, there most be a shifting of the fronts. Just like weather, A cold/warm front changes the atmosphere instantly. When it moves in, the temperture changes, due point changes, humidity changes, clouds changes, rain or shine is determined by the front. A front is nothing more than air. Air represents Holy Ghost. People that are in the "front"lines move according to his Spirit.

It is not our resposiblity to set atmosphere, it's our resonsiblity to allow the spirit to set the atmospehere through us. When we let it flow, church cheerleaders will put up there pom-poms, because it will be the Lord's stirring of the people and not the musicans or praise team leaders stiring.

Many musicians are producing music, but Few are producing the "Sound of the SPIRIT". Thats what the Church needs, THE "SOUND" of the spirit. When the Holy Ghost fell at pentacost, it was like a "sound from heaven". When the walls if Jericho fell, it was the "sound on the trumpets". When Jehosphat was in battle, it was the "SOUND" of the praise leaders and musicans that won the battle. When the "SOUND" is produced, SOMETHING HAPPENS!!

SO again i say, if you want to set the atmosphere, play the "Sound" of the spirit. Like nessalynn77 said, that "sound" must be birthed in us. It takes us worshiping and playing before him so that "sound" is produced out of us.

It may not be filled with a bunch of riffs and runs, it may be simple. Let God have his way.

It takes us being personal with him. Stop trying to be annointed and just be annointed. We be trying to hard sometimes....lol Let it flow. I speaking all this to myself because im determined to produced a "sound" not birth out of popular market forces, but birth out of the fressness and newness of his spirit. Praise God!!!

Offline therealben

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 04:47:38 PM »
AMEN benniedm . I agree whole heartedly. 

I think one of the issues lies in Flesh vs Spirit.    And we are too carnal minded.  WE don't renew our minds or our hearts.  We limit God as if Time does not belong to him.  And we want to "feel" the spirit and in doing so we push the spirit out in order to have that "feel". And often times we do that through the music. 

I think as musicians/singers, we need to understand that the Lord Loves praises and worship, But God will Use us to deliver people as we worship/ sing.  Sound, When used by the Lord. Can deliver, break bondage, Create life etc. It was by the Voice of God that the earth was formed. So we must realize that it is a weapon also. Shouting brought down the Wall of Jericho.. 

If the those who say they are in God, actively allow the Holy Ghost to use us, then we began to See God work his miracles through Music.  And people wouldnt Have to wait for Juanita Bynum to call them out and receive deliverance. Because the Lord would use the music to break the chains.  Maybe i seem repetitive, But we must learn how to submit to God. Submit our mind, body, spirit. and every part of our being.  The devil will fight through the mind.. so we must submit that. The lord will use our body/voice.. if we submit. And we must use our Spirit to worship"The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth." (John 4:23-25) And  i think if we understand that scripture and apply it to our lives then we can really See the movement of God. And it will be known that it was him.

Offline Furious Styles

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 12:30:55 AM »
As a music lover I have watched the musician community fall into an arrogance that satan himself loves to see rise up in us. We have become more interested in how well we played or sang before we are conerned about what God's spirit did in the place. God kept Moses out of the promise land because of his arrogance in providing the people of God with water. So how much more will God with hold us out of his prescence if forget to acknowledge his power to allow his prescence to show up in the first place. We have to have the heart of Jesus that saw some people who were in dire need of a shepard and wept. Where is our heart for the people. Our pastors and m.o.m.s have collaborated into the show mentality with the audacity to call it true worship.. I digress on that... Sincerity, humbleness, and brokeness is what allows the spirit of God to fall in place so heavy that the priest in the house can't minister because even they are under the duress of the spirits influence..
Ignorance is Bliss

Offline peachlyn68

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 10:01:04 AM »
I think part of this is a lack of personal time with God. Most people pray before church, doing church, and rehearsals.  Now you can not expect God to use you, if you don't spend time with him. God won't war with flesh, and that hinders the movement of his spirit.

We often times forget why and to who we are singing and playing, and that becomes a hinderance. When i sing now, i sing on a personal level with God.this is because i praise God all the time, when i am walking, mowing the lawn, etc. So even in rehearsals God moves because we are praising him and not just rehearsing. So i believe if we take more personal time out for Christ and ACTIVELY seek him, then we will understand his movement and use us to move. Otherwise we are just entertaining the people and going through formalities. Which is a waste of the time God has alotted us.

You've certainly helped me!  I always thought that when I have to sing, I should be singing to the Lord, as if He's standing right there in front of me.  At that point, the nervousness goes away, and you can feel the Holy Spirit empowering you.  Thanks!!!
God doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

Offline therealben

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 11:55:55 PM »
You've certainly helped me!  I always thought that when I have to sing, I should be singing to the Lord, as if He's standing right there in front of me.  At that point, the nervousness goes away, and you can feel the Holy Spirit empowering you.  Thanks!!!

All glory goes to God.  When people began to realize the power and authority God has given us over the Earth, We will begin to shift the atmosphere. But we must seek God's anointing and remember that ALL that we do should be done to the Glory of God.  If you are a true Christian, you will do all things to Glorify The Father. Please remember that Jesus did not take the glory for himself, but said he comes to do His (our) Father will. Jesus pointed all the glory Back to God.  This will help musicians and psalmists to be able to shift the atmostphere.

I've also have encountered a spirit that is dwelling in too many churches, and that is a spirit of division.  I have said in another post that when we are all on one accord, nothing is impossible. That applies to the music also.  The Walls Of Jericho came down because they all received instruction and was on one accord. Ministers of Music need to seek the anointing, wisdom, knowledge, of God for his department and concencrate him/herself. And then Allow God to fill him/her with these spirits and overflow into his/her department. So they will begin to concencrate and seek the same God.  When this happens, all spirits will begin to be on one accord. (Spirit of the Holy Ghost). For when All the musicians and psalmists are in the Holy Ghost, they are all on one accord.  The Power will be in the music so, that you won't need a pastor.

This should be one of our main goals as Ministers of Music.  When these  elements are combined and blended together, a dangerous atmostphere will be set.  And here is the result....

11 The priests then withdrew from the Holy Place. All the priests who were there had consecrated themselves, regardless of their divisions. 12 All the Levites who were musicians—Asaph, Heman, Jeduthun and their sons and relatives—stood on the east side of the altar, dressed in fine linen and playing cymbals, harps and lyres. They were accompanied by 120 priests sounding trumpets. 13 The trumpeters and singers joined in unison, as with one voice, to give praise and thanks to the LORD. Accompanied by trumpets, cymbals and other instruments, they raised their voices in praise to the LORD and sang:
       "He is good;
       his love endures forever."
      Then the temple of the LORD was filled with a cloud, 14 and the priests could not perform their service because of the cloud, for the glory of the LORD filled the temple of God.   II Chronicles 5:11-14 NIV

Offline flojo4jc

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2006, 01:29:42 AM »
AMEN AMEN AMEN! This is something I've really been thinking about a lot lately.  Good musicianship is definitely important and even essential, but people tend to get so consumed with their talent that they forget who gave it to them in the first place.  Being part of music ministry is SUCH an awesome responsibility.  Sometimes when I think about it, I don't even want to carry it because I realize that I am the one who is setting up the atmosphere for the almighty God to move.  People also forget that God is holding us accountable and watching to see how we use our gifts and how seriously we regard our calling/ministry. Its so dangerous to base your cues on what you see in the physical (shouting and crying) because then you actually think that needs are being met.

So many people are in need of Jesus and are in need of a REAL encounter with Him. Yet we musicians, P&W teams, and choirs come into church week after week and are so caught up in our own drama that we quench the Spirit even before the service begins! Lord help us... :-\     
We never know what burdens people are carrying when they come into our houses of worship. Yes, God is sovereign and He doesn't need us in order to minister to needs, but God forbid our attitudes prevent Him from fully moving in our midst.
Basically, until we as musicians start to see what we do as a privilege and service unto the Lord rather than a gift or a favor to our congregations, we won't be able to experience the anointing.

"Oh God would you humble us, turn our focus back to You, and make us true worshippers that are sensitive to your Spirit and are vessels of your anointing. Amen!"
Psalm 27:4 One thing that I desire...

Offline Joey247

• LGM Member
  • So that's why he likes yellow so much....BANANAS!!

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006, 08:20:53 AM »
Thank you Guys...yall be blessed...that's deep...
My Heart Follows Hard After Thee Oh Lord!!!!

Offline nrfyr

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2006, 07:24:27 PM »
I have heard much discussion on this topic over the years, and I dare say, that many believe the music portion of the service sets the tone (atmosphere) for everything else.  I totally disagree.  There is nothing Biblical that substantiates this position.  I am not implying that music doesn't carry an influence during a church meeting (gathering).  But it is not the medium by which we get God to show up in our midst. 

So what sets the atmosphere then?  Well certainly one factor is a meeting that allows God to have preeminence.  God will never go where He is not given preeminence.  Many churches have become so self-reliant and obsessed with their own agenda’s that they literally prohibit the Spirit of the Lord in their midst.  Their services are tailored and fashioned in such a way that for the most part the only rapport they ever have with the Spirit of the Lord is negligible at best.

I believe the hearts of the people dictate the degree of His Holy presence that manifests in their midst.  Their hearts are the keys to the habitation of the Spirit of the Lord.  And I mean the hearts of all the people, not just the musicians and vocalist -- everybody.   

Jesus Himself said, "But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshippers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him".  In spirit and truth.  God is not moved by our emotionalism and spiritual hype -- God is moved by sincerity and integrity of heart (truth).  "In spirit" - not carnally-minded, but spirit-governed, spirit-sensitive - led by His Spirit.

If God said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you", that means He is always with us.  But how do we get His glory, His tangible presence to manifest in our midst, how is the atmosphere changed?  It should change as we enter -- we carry around in us His glory.  "Christ in you the hope of glory".  We are the tabernacle, we are the habitation of the Spirit of God.  We are to be spirit-lead people, Christ-minded, HOLY, sanctified, set aside for God's purpose.  We are to worship Him in the beauty of HOLINESS.  Not living a holy life plugs up God issues of life -- it is like covering up a well.  A well that is designed to spring forth life giving waters.

"Keep (guard) your heart with all diligence, for out of it flows the issues of life" -- live your life for Christ and your well will always be manifesting God's presence -- because He is LIFE.  It's a life-style.  Not a church service.  We cannot turn it on and off as we chose.  God is meant to be present always. 

Being people of integrity, will guarentee constant visitations of God's glory.

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2006, 08:11:00 AM »
That is true but naturally music creates a certain environment in any place. In the grocery store, in restaurants, and malls. There is a purpose for playing music. We dont really need music to worship God or to carry the gospel of Jesus Christ but God had a purpose when he created it. I agree with you that it is in the heart of the music what influence he/she has on the service.
Pages: [1]   Go Up