LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Got a question  (Read 757 times)

Offline Bweezle

• LGM Member

Got a question
« on: September 25, 2006, 12:02:16 PM »
T-block or anyone,
I am learning to read music and I want to know if it will help me to pick by ear as well.
I also wanted to know what do people mean by study the music??

I get songs from this website all the time and I think I got to a point that I let it handicap me instead of learning from the songs that I would get so I had to back away from looking for songs on an everyday basis. That is when I begin to just practice your (T-block) practice progression in C everyday. But I want to know what is that I should be doing when I learn a piece (written in sheet music or chorded out on the site)?

Thanks

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Re: Got a question
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 03:30:53 PM »
When you go to learn a song, you should first listen and figure out the pattern.  The pattern is the order of the chord progressions being played.  The key is to follow your bass line, then you will know exactly what progression(s) to use.  What you do is write down the bass notes, figure out what key you are in, then translate those bass notes into numbers.  Those numbers will represent your scale degrees for the key you are in.  Once you have your progression pattern(s) and your key, then you can put chords with those bass notes.  The chords can the ones you figure out from the CD, or they can be your own chords that you want to use.  Here is an example:

Bass notes = D-G-C-F-Bb-Eb

Key = Eb

Bass notes in # form: 7-3-6-2-5-1 (this is your progression pattern)

So, let's put chords with those bass notes:

Key Eb  LH/RH

D / A-C-E-G
G / B-Eb-F-Bb
C / Bb-D-Eb-G
F / D-G-B
Bb / Eb-Ab-C
Eb / F-G-Bb-Eb

That's basically what you should do when learning a song.  If you take a look at all the progressions posts I have done, I have tried to list the most familiar progressions found in most gospel music.  So, what you have to do is practice those progressions, then listen to CD's to see if you can spot them when you hear them.  It will take a while to get used to this, but it will save you $100s of dollars on buying sheet music.  Trust me, I know from personal experience!!! ;D
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline Bweezle

• LGM Member

Re: Got a question
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 05:28:24 AM »
Thanks T-Block! I trust your word. I practice the progressions you put together in C everyday. I have also printed out some of you songs that you posted and they are on point so I know that you know what you are talking about. I am really doing the piano lessons so that I can do both because at my church the M.O.M. is off the chain and she can do both. I am playing with the Youth at the moment. So I want my ear to be dominant and be able to pick up anyone singing or jump in play with other musicians (bands), but I also want to be able to play sheet music.

Pray for me as I continue to grow in Christ but also music.
Pages: [1]   Go Up