LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Monster Cables  (Read 9499 times)

Offline trackman

• LGM Member
  • Look who's 40...

Monster Cables
« on: September 27, 2006, 02:25:14 PM »
Does anyone use these? I have friends that swear by them and I was wondeering who uses these?
A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool speaks because he has to say something...

Offline Rown

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Monster Cables
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 11:16:32 PM »
These cables are the most expensive cables you can buy.They are gold plated.I use them for all my audio equipment.Wide srcreen hdtv,cd player,dvd.I think they work great for these inputs.Some people love them,so say, they are the same as the cables that are standard(non gold plated) I did not know they made them for guitar.But i love them  ;)

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member
    • PEEBSound Guitar Effects

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 11:18:26 PM »
I refuse to use them based solely on their business ethics. 

I'll have to find the forum topic at the guitar effects forum I'm on, but they are all about trying to put people under that use the word "monster" in their business.  They even tried to sue Disney for Monsters Inc.  And if you look at the bottom of Monster.com, there's a disclaimer about them "allowing" them to use the name monster.  The kicker was when they took this lady from Oregon or Washington to court because she used the word Monster in her used clothing store's name.

I understand that you have to make yourself stand out in a market, but cartoons, job-search websites, and used clothing stores are hardly in the guitar accessories market.

Just get you some pro-co cable, and some Switchcraft or Neutrik plugs and make your own.  Of course, there's always Planet Waves, and the like, but I've never used them.  I've had a Spectraflex and various Pro-Co's for the last 8 years or so.

I'll try to find that link for you guys--some really interesting and completely disrespectable stuff...

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 11:20:17 PM »

Offline buddy_guise

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • BG

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 08:36:20 AM »
I got this from the same message board.

" Don't try to use the word "Monster" on your pedal.
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2005, 02:33:39 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm sorry to have to tell all of you this, but Monster Cable is well within their rights and is basically REQUIRED BY LAW to do this sort of thing.

The word isn't copyright. You can not copyright words and phrases. This is about TRADEMARK. Trademarks MUST BE PROTECTED, or you lose them. While what Monster is doing may go over the line of necessity (typically trademarks only need to be defended in your particular area of business to be considered valid), it's better to be safe than to find out that you've lost your trademark.

For a group of people so needlessly concerned about copyright/trademark issues, I'm surprised so few here actually know the difference."

I personally use them and I love'em.   I can't tell you how many cables I've been through in the past couple of years.  I have a bad generic brand cable now that I'm going to return and try to get credit towards another Monster Cable. 
God Bless!!
~BG~

Offline Rown

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 10:43:25 AM »
I got this from the same message board.

" Don't try to use the word "Monster" on your pedal.
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2005, 02:33:39 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm sorry to have to tell all of you this, but Monster Cable is well within their rights and is basically REQUIRED BY LAW to do this sort of thing.

The word isn't copyright. You can not copyright words and phrases. This is about TRADEMARK. Trademarks MUST BE PROTECTED, or you lose them. While what Monster is doing may go over the line of necessity (typically trademarks only need to be defended in your particular area of business to be considered valid), it's better to be safe than to find out that you've lost your trademark.

For a group of people so needlessly concerned about copyright/trademark issues, I'm surprised so few here actually know the difference."

I personally use them and I love'em.   I can't tell you how many cables I've been through in the past couple of years.  I have a bad generic brand cable now that I'm going to return and try to get credit towards another Monster Cable. 
                                AMEN BROTHER

Offline ShaunzNoiz

• LGM Member
  • Jesus is the reason!

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 07:02:31 PM »
They are good cables.  There are better cables out there for less money.  I think that Monster Cable may have been the first company to really take a look at the sonic differences that quality materials in a cable can make.  There is an article that came out a few years ago in Vintage Guitar Player Magazine that did a huge blow out between cheap $5 cables and expensive $300 cables.  The cables were given a score between 0 and 100, and I think the Monster 1000 came in at the high 60 to low 70 percentile.

George L's has been the industry standard for years, and I think it ranked in the high 70 percentile.  It's cheaper, and you get to make your own cables.  If they break they are easy to repair.  I used to use Monster Studio exclusively, but there's better cables for less money out there.  Do you homework!!!!!!

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 10:34:48 PM »
I understand them having to protect their trademark.  I actually went back to that link, and the article itself is no longer available, but it stated that they were in a suit against a lady in either Washington or Oregon that had a consignment clothing store that had the word monster in it, and also against a man that had a line of ski instruction videos for kids called either snow monsters or ski monsters.  I don't see how this is infringement on the trademark Monster Cable holds since they are nowhere near the same industry.

I doubt that GM ever went after Regal (kitchen wares) because someone was going to make the mistake that they were cooking on a Buick frying pan.  Just like no one would possibly think that if it weren't for Monster Cable, then we wouldn't have Mike Wazowski and Sully.  No normal person would make these kind of connections.  I never once thought while I was posting my resume--"Hey, these online resume guys make a killer guitar cable, too." 

They may have the legal recourse in these matters, but it's pretty ludicrous at the core of it all.

But, hey, they may make a great product, I don't know.  Sorry if I raised eyebrows--it wasn't my intent.

Offline Rown

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 11:29:54 PM »
They are good cables.  There are better cables out there for less money.  I think that Monster Cable may have been the first company to really take a look at the sonic differences that quality materials in a cable can make.  There is an article that came out a few years ago in Vintage Guitar Player Magazine that did a huge blow out between cheap $5 cables and expensive $300 cables.  The cables were given a score between 0 and 100, and I think the Monster 1000 came in at the high 60 to low 70 percentile.

George L's has been the industry standard for years, and I think it ranked in the high 70 percentile.  It's cheaper, and you get to make your own cables.  If they break they are easy to repair.  I used to use Monster Studio exclusively, but there's better cables for less money out there.  Do you homework!!!!!! ?/? ?/?

Offline ShaunzNoiz

• LGM Member
  • Jesus is the reason!

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 05:19:42 PM »

Typo.  Do your homework..........and learn about a variety of options instead of taking some things as gospel!!!!  Sorry to upset anyone!!! ;)

Offline trackman

• LGM Member
  • Look who's 40...

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 09:31:04 PM »
I really don't know how the world of business works, but I do know what sounds good to me and appears to be a superior product. I will do my homework and decide that way. I just didn't know that there were so many products out there with the type of quality that the Monster cable gives you. Thanks to everyone who chimed in!!! You guys are great.
A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool speaks because he has to say something...

Offline Rown

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2006, 11:42:32 PM »
                                      My man, look at it like this.
                It got to be a reason,they have been around for soooo long ;)
                              IT IS A GREAT PRODUCT  ;)

Offline mt_spiffy

• LGM Member
    • http://www.itsmyurls.com/dspiffy

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2006, 01:39:29 AM »

George L's has been the industry standard for years, and I think it ranked in the high 70 percentile.  It's cheaper, and you get to make your own cables.  If they break they are easy to repair.  I used to use Monster Studio exclusively, but there's better cables for less money out there.  Do you homework!!!!!!

Wow, another post from Shaun I can say "I second this".

I use Monster simply because, I like that, if anything happens (even if it gets sliced by a cymbal) I can take it back and get another one free.  Very very useful on the road.  If I had to actually spend money on a new cable, I probably wouldnt get another Monster.  But since they replace them I havent had to buy a cable in YEARS.  Other brands have this same guarantee, but Monster is the most prevalent.

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2006, 11:25:19 PM »
I use them.
I don't care what they cost or about their business practices (which is more the doing of their lawyers and not the company staff); they make a good cable that you can step on and it doesn't go "crunch".  ;D
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline elio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2006, 01:48:38 AM »
I use them.
I don't care what they cost or about their business practices (which is more the doing of their lawyers and not the company staff); they make a good cable that you can step on and it doesn't go "crunch".  ;D

Amen. All this oxygen-free, gold-plated stuff is just a gimmick. What I want in a guitar cable is that you can yank it, pull it, step on it and the connectors don't break and start crackling. All the rest is just fluff.

Offline Prody

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2006, 01:24:13 PM »
I have an Monster Accoustic cable, and it seems to be ok, the one thing that I like about it is the life time warrenty.  I also have a Mogami cable with life time warrenty.  If you do alot of studio work, the Mogami cables are the way to go....the Monster cable are good for live playing.....so I'm told.   ?/?

Offline trackman

• LGM Member
  • Look who's 40...

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2006, 11:44:15 AM »
I bought them!!! I love them!!! It has change the clarity of my playing for the better tenfold!!! I recommend them!

Offline Dnell

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2006, 05:32:37 PM »
I A/B'd George L and Monster Cable, and I prefer the George L...however whenever possible with cables and anything else try to get the best equipment that you can afford, don't go broke chasing after the gear everyone else says is the greatest, trust your ears...its your sound!!!

Offline KurzLand

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2006, 11:28:14 PM »
They seem pretty good cables. I can't afford them and I'm not willing to $50+ dollars on them. What I use now is HOSA cables. These cables have lasted me for like two years now.
"Experience is not what happens to a man; it is what a man does with what happens to him." -A.Huxley

Offline trackman

• LGM Member
  • Look who's 40...

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2006, 05:41:09 AM »
The price is rather high (21' for $50), but the lifetime warranty makes it well worth it. I'll probably buy another one just like it, but after that, I will never have to buy a cable again! I can just take it back to Guitar Center and they'll give me another one right off the shelf! That's what sold me.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up