LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Monster Cables  (Read 9505 times)

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

Re: Monster Cables
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2006, 08:49:03 AM »
The price is rather high (21' for $50), but the lifetime warranty makes it well worth it. I'll probably buy another one just like it, but after that, I will never have to buy a cable again! I can just take it back to Guitar Center and they'll give me another one right off the shelf! That's what sold me.

I've had my 3 Monster cables for probably 10 years or so and have done hundreds and hundreds of shows and sessions with them.
To me the initial high cost is offset by their reliability and durability.

It's the same reason (or one of the reasons) why I use Apple Macintosh computers instead of the Windows-based alternatives.  ;)
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline trackman

• LGM Member
  • Look who's 40...

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2006, 01:35:36 PM »
I'm thinking of getting an Apple Laptop ;D.
A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool speaks because he has to say something...

Offline ShaunzNoiz

• LGM Member
  • Jesus is the reason!

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2006, 04:30:16 PM »

Once you go Mac, you'll never go back!!!! ;D

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2006, 10:28:46 PM »

Once you go Mac, you'll never go back!!!! ;D

;D ;D ;D

Amen.

Offline KurzLand

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2006, 11:57:18 PM »

Yeah, me too!
"Experience is not what happens to a man; it is what a man does with what happens to him." -A.Huxley

Offline wgross

• LGM Member

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2006, 12:45:38 PM »
My Belief is that Jay5150 needs to chill out.  You got way too much stress over simple cables.  I use Monster cables, have used them since the early 90's.  I like them.

Offline trackman

• LGM Member
  • Look who's 40...

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2006, 11:56:27 AM »
I am finding more and more that equipment does matter. First of all, the Monster Cables sound so much more clear than lower quality cables. When I first plugged them in (just opend the package at church - Sunday morn), I couldn't get adjusted to the new sound that came from my amp. It didn't sound the same to me. I had to literally learn how to play more cleanly because of the crispness of the sound. Every string can be heard separately so it really upped my level of play as well as sounding a lot better

A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool speaks because he has to say something...

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member
    • PEEBSound Guitar Effects

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2006, 08:46:28 PM »
My Belief is that Jay5150 needs to chill out.  You got way too much stress over simple cables.  I use Monster cables, have used them since the early 90's.  I like them.
But, hey, they may make a great product, I don't know.  Sorry if I raised eyebrows--it wasn't my intent.

Again, I apologized if I was out of line.  Sorry.  Also, if you'll notice, I hadn't said anything further since that post, and that was almost a month ago.  I really didn't mean for it to come across the way it sounded.  I wasn't trying to argue with anyone.  Consider me chilled.

God bless.

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2006, 12:49:26 AM »

it wasn't over the cables, it was over the possible business practices of who produces the cable. if we know a company engages in shady business tactics, do you really think we should support them with the money God has blessed us to be stewards over?? it's my belief that we shouldn't.

that being said, i'm not passing judgement on Monster, since i don't think there is enough evidence to do so, but i think we'd all do well to be more aware of what companies we support with our finances.

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2006, 06:57:42 AM »
if we know a company engages in shady business tactics, do you really think we should support them with the money God has blessed us to be stewards over?? it's my belief that we shouldn't.

HA! Another reason I don't support Microsoft...  ;D

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2006, 04:16:26 PM »
HA! Another reason I don't support Microsoft...  ;D

ha, touche, lol

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2014, 12:42:11 PM »
Gladly I found this topic on here. I was just getting ready to make a thread about buying a monster cable. Are there really sharp in sound and crystal clear in highs and lows?

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2014, 04:26:26 PM »
They're good cables for the money and they have a no-questions-asked exchange policy.

Offline trackman

• LGM Member
  • Look who's 40...

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2014, 11:12:08 PM »
I could definitely tell the difference in my tone from using a cheaper instrument cable. How it compares to similarly priced cables, I don't know. I have used the no questions asked exchange policy tho. Took it to GC and got a new one of I stepped on it an snapped the end off...

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2014, 02:33:48 PM »
Guys I just thought about something. How would your sound, sound like if you had a monster cable, which creates crystal highs and is crystal clear and sharp, along with a an eq pedal which has that much more potential to create much more sharpness and creates more crystal highs to your sound. Man! What would that actually sound like? I really want to find out you guys.

Offline SketchMan3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • In the "Gran Mountain..."

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2014, 02:41:06 PM »
It would probably sound like ice-picks assaulting your ear drums.
... lies the entrance to "Garloz"

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2014, 09:35:09 PM »
Guys I just thought about something. How would your sound, sound like if you had a monster cable, which creates crystal highs and is crystal clear and sharp, along with a an eq pedal which has that much more potential to create much more sharpness and creates more crystal highs to your sound. Man! What would that actually sound like? I really want to find out you guys.

First off, a Monster cable does not "create" anything. It, like any decent quality cable, will simply let the guitar sound like it's supposed to sound when the signal hits the pedals and/or the amp.
It doesn't add anything; it helps to not take away anything.
Second, yes, too much crystal sharp highs will sound like a knife being dragged across a stainless steel sink.
EQ pedals are not all that. I have an eq pedal and I NEVER use it. It sits on the shelf collecting dust.

Offline stix_clgi

• LGM Member
  • I'm wasting away here......
    • My Youtube Page

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2014, 10:05:46 AM »
First off, a Monster cable does not "create" anything. It, like any decent quality cable, will simply let the guitar sound like it's supposed to sound when the signal hits the pedals and/or the amp.
It doesn't add anything; it helps to not take away anything.
Second, yes, too much crystal sharp highs will sound like a knife being dragged across a stainless steel sink.
EQ pedals are not all that. I have an eq pedal and I NEVER use it. It sits on the shelf collecting dust.

This. I'd suspect with an EQ pedal, you should be able to dial back any offending frequencies, be it high or low, that you hear. (I'm a bass player, but I saw the thread and thought I'd chime in lol).

In fact, if you're going to buy a Monster cable, I'd recommend a Mogami instead. They're around the same price, and in my own personal A/B test, the Mogami sounded more warm, or like more of the sound was actually being transmitted. The other thing is the jacks on Monster cables are actually a bit thicker than 1/4", I suppose because of their gold plating. It makes for a tight fit a first, which seems good, but after being plugged and unplugged multiple times, your jacks can start to develop shorts, or become loose, etc. I've never had that issue with Mogami's. Some of my associates also swear by Lava cables, for the same reasons.

I wouldn't pay for a Monster cable again lol...
Precious Lord take my hand
Lead me on, help me stand

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2014, 11:22:08 AM »
The other thing is the jacks on Monster cables are actually a bit thicker than 1/4", I suppose because of their gold plating. It makes for a tight fit a first, which seems good, but after being plugged and unplugged multiple times, your jacks can start to develop shorts, or become loose, etc.

In over 20 years of using Monster cables I've never experienced this, so it sounds like another internet legend to me. Plus, not all Monster cables are gold plated. The lower-cost ones are not. Regardless, I have several of each and I just checked them with a set of calipers; there's no difference between them.

Mogami is another good cable. They existed as a wire/cable company for quite some time before they started soldering ends onto their cables and selling them at Guitar Center and elsewhere. I have a couple of them at church and they work fine, but they're no better than an equally-priced Monster or other good quality cable (of which there are several).
And Mogami is guilty of the same hype that has plagued Monster since they hit the scene, due to cables like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Mogami-Platinum-Guitar-20-Straight/dp/B0018SVNRC/ref=sr_1_22?s=musical-instruments&srs=2529929011&ie=UTF8&qid=1389633527&sr=1-22&keywords=mogami

For $165, that cable had better change the oil in my car and make me dinner.

Offline 6stringapprentice

• LGM Member
    • facebook

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2014, 01:15:18 PM »
The oversized monster jacks was true on some of their models, but it was rectified some years back I believe. The problem effected barrel type jacks which are much more prevalent in basses.

The audible effect of an instrument cable is electronically equivalent as an RLC circuit. Because of the nature of instrument cables the R-resistance and L-inductance is negligible. This leaves capacitance. This and only this can have an effect on the sound of an instrument cable, assuming that the cable is in working order. If you play an active instrument or an instrument with a buffered output( ie active basses/guitars, keyboards, preamp outs), then you are dealing with a low output impedance. This negates nearly all the effects of capacitance in the cable.

If you play a passive instrument (passive guitar/bass, microphones), then cable capacitance will have more of an effect because you are dealing with a high output impedance. The effect that capacitance has on a audio circuit is that of an low pass filter. It is the same effect as a tone circuit in a bass or guitar, minus the variable resistor. Capacitance bleeds high end to the ground. The higher the capacitance value the lower the filter frequency and vice-versa. Capacitance will also shift the resonance frequency of your pickups. 

If you want the cleanest sound out of our passive instrument find a cable with the lowest capacitance per foot. There is no correlation between the cost of a cable and the capacitance per foot. Most high end cable makers do not even publish this figure. I personally roll my own cables, but there is no reason to spend over $30 for an instrument cable. Much more than that, and you are paying for marking hype.
Sounding Mathematics.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up