LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monster Cables  (Read 9497 times)

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

Re: Monster Cables
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2014, 01:43:16 PM »
This. I'd suspect with an EQ pedal, you should be able to dial back any offending frequencies, be it high or low, that you hear. (I'm a bass player, but I saw the thread and thought I'd chime in lol).

In fact, if you're going to buy a Monster cable, I'd recommend a Mogami instead. They're around the same price, and in my own personal A/B test, the Mogami sounded more warm, or like more of the sound was actually being transmitted. The other thing is the jacks on Monster cables are actually a bit thicker than 1/4", I suppose because of their gold plating. It makes for a tight fit a first, which seems good, but after being plugged and unplugged multiple times, your jacks can start to develop shorts, or become loose, etc. I've never had that issue with Mogami's. Some of my associates also swear by Lava cables, for the same reasons.

I wouldn't pay for a Monster cable again lol...

As a matter of fact, I took what you were saying about the Mogami cable, and it is strange that one of the guitar employees at guitar center I believe said that he'd prefer Mogami cables over Monster cables. But I have been on youtube and hearing how the Mogami cables sound and you're right it sounds that much more warmer.

Offline SketchMan3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • In the "Gran Mountain..."

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2014, 02:57:11 PM »
Much more than that, and you are paying for marking hype.
And a lifetime replacement guarantee (in monster's case at least).
... lies the entrance to "Garloz"

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2014, 03:09:31 PM »
If a guitar cable sounds "warmer" to you than another cable, it's probably killing your higher frequencies.
Again, a good cable shouldn't add anything. It should prevent signal loss from the source to the amplifier and that's it.

And, yes, that lifetime replacement is worth paying a few bucks extra for regardless if it's Monster or Mogami or Planet Waves or whatever.
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline stix_clgi

• LGM Member
  • I'm wasting away here......
    • My Youtube Page

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2014, 04:46:26 PM »
In over 20 years of using Monster cables I've never experienced this, so it sounds like another internet legend to me. Plus, not all Monster cables are gold plated. The lower-cost ones are not. Regardless, I have several of each and I just checked them with a set of calipers; there's no difference between them.

The oversized monster jacks was true on some of their models, but it was rectified some years back I believe. The problem effected barrel type jacks which are much more prevalent in basses.

If you want the cleanest sound out of our passive instrument find a cable with the lowest capacitance per foot. There is no correlation between the cost of a cable and the capacitance per foot. Most high end cable makers do not even publish this figure. I personally roll my own cables, but there is no reason to spend over $30 for an instrument cable. Much more than that, and you are paying for marking hype.

Yeah, I'm just saying from my own experience (I detest hate posts from people who've never used a product). But like 6string said, the cables I have were purchased probably 3 or 4 years ago...maybe longer than that, and they're gold plated. I used to have to use considerable force to pull the cable out of my guitar jack...on one of my basses the jack ended up needing to be rewired. So I wouldn't necessarily call it an Internet legend...

I've been meaning to start making my own cables...not that I need anymore, but I want the experience of doing it, in case I'll have to in the future. I love my Mogami (it's a 15ft I think), I paid like $45 for it at Guitar Center. It feels great, it's very durable, also has a lifetime warranty, and I don't every worry about the jack becoming unscrewed or anything like that. That said, Mogami's and Monster cables are expensive, and I bet rolling your own cables is a skill that actively saves money
Precious Lord take my hand
Lead me on, help me stand

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2014, 05:11:57 PM »
6string said something that I do remember now. The barrel-type jacks, like on my wife's Ibanez bass, do have issues with some cables, but it's not limited to Monster. We use...I forget the brand, maybe CBI...at church and she's had some intermittent drop-outs with those cables. I'll check tomorrow to see what she's using now as it works really well.
It might be a Mogami.  ;D

Offline SketchMan3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2014, 05:56:35 PM »
I have a 20' CBI cable. And a Fat Boy 10' cable that is thin... >_>

<_<

I also have a braided Fat Boy cable that i replaced with the CBI because I feel it sounds thin and lacking in lows, but maybe it's actually better than the CBI that seems to sound heavier... I haven't noticed any loss in highs from it I think...

hmmm... is there a technical way to test for these things without having to rely on my ears?

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2014, 06:44:12 PM »
I have a 20' CBI cable. And a Fat Boy 10' cable that is thin... >_>

<_<

I also have a braided Fat Boy cable that i replaced with the CBI because I feel it sounds thin and lacking in lows, but maybe it's actually better than the CBI that seems to sound heavier... I haven't noticed any loss in highs from it I think...

hmmm... is there a technical way to test for these things without having to rely on my ears?

You could use a frequency analyzer if you want to get scientific about it. You could even log and graph the data, comparing cables to see where they differ in the highs, mids and lows.
I mean, if you really want to...  ;D

Offline stix_clgi

• LGM Member
  • I'm wasting away here......
    • My Youtube Page

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2014, 09:48:16 PM »
6string said something that I do remember now. The barrel-type jacks, like on my wife's Ibanez bass, do have issues with some cables, but it's not limited to Monster. We use...I forget the brand, maybe CBI...at church and she's had some intermittent drop-outs with those cables. I'll check tomorrow to see what she's using now as it works really well.
It might be a Mogami. ;D

Ha lol, it might be....then I'll have to use the "it was years ago, they fixed the problem" line (@6string ;D ;D ;D ;D)  Nah really, I wouldn't be surprised, too many companies producing their take on a "standard." Either way, I stick with my Mogami's, and hopefully soon my own cables. I'll have to check out CBI, I've never heard of them before today.
Precious Lord take my hand
Lead me on, help me stand

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2014, 02:04:38 PM »
Guys I just tried out a monster cable. And I could not tell the difference between the monster gold plated cable and my cheap $10 cable I have. The only difference were that the monster cable was a little more heavier. But I think I might try the mogami cables next to see how they run. Because I could not determine what I should look for in hearing the sound between the monster gold plated cable and my cheap $10 cable I have. And how sad is that... smh

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member

« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2014, 02:12:29 PM »
What are you expecting to hear?

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2014, 02:27:16 PM »
What are you expecting to hear?

I thought I'd hear a difference in the way it sounds

Offline SketchMan3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2014, 02:50:06 PM »
I thought I'd hear a difference in the way it sounds
More clarity I guess? If you can't hear a difference I wouldn't bother.

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2014, 10:34:02 PM »
More clarity I guess? If you can't hear a difference I wouldn't bother.

Yes, for sure.
Where were you when you tried out the new cable? What guitar and amp were you playing?

I ask because the first time I tried a Monster cable I was in the studio. My cables were good...I soldered them myself and used good cable and good ends...but the studio engineer felt that the new Monster cables might be better, so he gave me one to try out.
I was playing my Les Paul through a nice Duncan tube amp that I used to have and I got to hear everything through an amazing studio system.
The difference between my old cables and the new cable was like night and day: better clarity, better low end response, and even a touch more db in volume. We could hear it with our ears, but just to be sure he hooked up a spectrum analyzer so we could see the difference on a digital graph.
What we heard was exactly what we saw on the red leds.
He let me keep the cable for free (I still have it after nearly 20 years) and have been a convert ever since.

A good cable is a good cable. Doesn't matter if it cost $10 or $100.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up