LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anybody play the clarinet?  (Read 2197 times)

Offline Val215

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Virtuously Gifted

Anybody play the clarinet?
« on: October 02, 2006, 09:16:35 AM »
I dusted off my old clarinet and put it together. I have a brand new reed...now the problem is, I'm not getting any sound. I don't know if I'm holding my mouth wrong or something. I haven't played it in well over 20+years. I think the problem is me and not the clarinet. It's in tip top shape. Help :-\
Check me out on Facebook at Virtuously Gifted and on Instagram at virtuouslygifted_215

Offline vkeys314

• LGM Member

Re: Anybody play the clarinet?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 01:10:14 PM »
If its put together in good and in good shape it may just be your emboucher..... remember... lower lip over teeth... don't bite the mouth piece.... and blow.... im sure you'll get it...
music speaks to everyones soul

Offline Ladymusic88

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 05:51:26 PM »
I dusted off my old clarinet and put it together. I have a brand new reed...now the problem is, I'm not getting any sound. I don't know if I'm holding my mouth wrong or something. I haven't played it in well over 20+years. I think the problem is me and not the clarinet. It's in tip top shape. Help :-\
Val215,

I had the same problem a few years ago...my clarinet was put away for quite some time.  When I tried to play it, I could hardly get a note out.  After I looked it over, I noticed that some of the pads had dried out.  And, that's what was causing a "leak" in the horn.  I had to take it to a repair shop to get the pads replaced. You may have to get it checked out. 
Hope this helps.

Be Blessed!
Ladymusic88

Offline Val215

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Virtuously Gifted

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 06:04:47 PM »
I might have to do that. I've still been trying to play it and still no sound. Thanks for the advice :)
Check me out on Facebook at Virtuously Gifted and on Instagram at virtuouslygifted_215

Offline Ladymusic88

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 06:20:52 PM »
No problem, Val215!

Ladymusic88

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My dog Bear (125lbs of Luv)
    • Wolfram a/k/a Don Zlaty

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 08:55:19 AM »
Try playing in just the mouthpiece.  If you are getting sound there, then it could be the horn.  If you are not, then you are squeezing too tightly, subsequently pressing the reed against the mouthpiece facing.  (no room for air to pass....)

:-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up