LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The UNISUN Gospel Competition  (Read 1864 times)

Offline XtromatriX

• LGM Member

The UNISUN Gospel Competition
« on: October 03, 2006, 01:40:18 AM »
Did any of you here in the Baltimore area go to the Unisun Gospel Choir Competition at Morgan State College this past Saturday? If so what did you think of it?

Offline ladybass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My Bass Grooves

Re: The UNISUN Gospel Competition
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 10:30:56 AM »
I never heard of this .. I guess that's what happens when I don't listen to WEAA or Heaven 600.  Did you go?

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 12:26:02 PM »
i never understood the concept of a gospel competition.  I mean how can one say that one praised God better then the other without knowing what's in their hearts...unless you judge by the show that they might put on.

I dunno, but the whole gospel competition thing seems weird to me.
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline ladybass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My Bass Grooves

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 12:28:03 PM »

Ditto ...

I understand there's this "christian" or "gospel" version of the american idol show out there now  :-\

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 01:19:08 PM »
i never understood the concept of a gospel competition.  I mean how can one say that one praised God better then the other without knowing what's in their hearts...unless you judge by the show that they might put on.

I totally agree.  My college choir went to a competition my freshman year and we didn't win the competition but it didn't feel right.  Its all show because you can't determine someone's praise.  Our choir and another choir sung the same song, but because the other choir sung after we did, they had a little time to tweek the song to impress the judges.  To this day I have not been to another competition and probably won't.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 03:39:47 PM »
I never heard of this either and I don't listen to either stations that were mentioned by Ladybass.

When I first read the title I though that doesn't make to much sence to me. I think the GOOD NEWS ought to stay out of competitions. Unless it is meant to minister to the lost.

Offline Andrzej

• LGM Member
  • I've got 5 on it!
    • Kings Church

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 05:07:39 PM »
The only time I have entered any type of 'bass skills' type competition was around 10yrs ago in a local guitar store.  I came second.  The guy that beat me was a punk player that used a pick!  I was robbed of a very nice and very expensive 5-string Sei bass.

What is this Unisun Gospel Choir Competition?  What do you have to do to win? We don't have anything like that here in the UK and I am glad about that.  If you want to win a competion enter American Idol (or Pop Idol as it is called here).  Loving and serving God is not a competition.

I am getting more upset as a I type, so I will quit!   :P

Offline Dani_D

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 08:07:00 PM »
I did not know they had these but I do not see anything wrong with it as long its done in a spirit of getting together to have a good time while praising God.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline XtromatriX

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 11:31:55 PM »
Yes Lady Bass I went... I found it pretty interesting. The judging was bassed on originality, technical ability, stage presence and one other thing that I forgot. The show was sponsored by Macy's and the Baltimore Sun news paper. It was hostebd by Jeff Majors and Lenora Howze. Five Churches competed, United Voices Of Ark Church (Baltimore), Voices Of Praise Of New Fellowship Christian Community Church (Baltimore) Pennsylvania Avenue A.M.E Zion Church Worship Choir (Baltimore), Holy Vessels Of Berean Baptist Church (Baltimore), and Bethel Apostolic Church Mass Choir (Havre de Grace, MD). The winning choir won $5000.00 and get to record a praise CD. This was the first one and was supose to be an anual event but they announced night at the end of the show that they would be having another this November. Here is a link to read more.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/services/newspaper/events/bal-gospel,0,7516394.htmlstory

Offline ladybass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My Bass Grooves

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 06:32:49 AM »
Thanks for the info/break down Xtro!! .... hey my grandparents go to PA Ave AME Church  :)

Yes Lady Bass I went... I found it pretty interesting. The judging was bassed on originality, technical ability, stage presence and one other thing that I forgot. The show was sponsored by Macy's and the Baltimore Sun news paper. It was hostebd by Jeff Majors and Lenora Howze. Five Churches competed, United Voices Of Ark Church (Baltimore), Voices Of Praise Of New Fellowship Christian Community Church (Baltimore) Pennsylvania Avenue A.M.E Zion Church Worship Choir (Baltimore), Holy Vessels Of Berean Baptist Church (Baltimore), and Bethel Apostolic Church Mass Choir (Havre de Grace, MD). The winning choir won $5000.00 and get to record a praise CD. This was the first one and was supose to be an anual event but they announced night at the end of the show that they would be having another this November. Here is a link to read more.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/services/newspaper/events/bal-gospel,0,7516394.htmlstory

Pages: [1]   Go Up