LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it the horn or the setup that makes the difference?  (Read 2153 times)

Offline visionmike

• LGM Member

Is it the horn or the setup that makes the difference?
« on: July 25, 2006, 01:50:33 AM »
I don't have a lot of experience on many different alto saxes, but I use a Berg Larsen metal mouthpiece with Rico Royal Jazz Select reeds. I played on a beginner Buffet for years until it was stolen. Now I play on a Cannonball and the sound is ALMOST the same. My question is what makes the biggest difference --the horn or the mouthpiece and reed?
In everything you do, ALWAYS put God 1st!

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Lord Can Do All Things!

Re: Is it the horn or the setup that makes the difference?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 01:48:40 PM »
Welcome to LGM  visionmike 

Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.

Offline keynote

• LGM Member
  • Ps 16:1

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 11:22:44 PM »
Yo' Visionmike... it's ALL about the set up!!!

What I've found is that the closer to your mouth you get on the horn, the more it affects your sound... First your embochure and breath support, then your choice of mouthpice/reed/ligature... THEN the horn.

Now, this is assuming you have a properly working horn w/ no leaks or malfunctions etc.

On the horn tho' they say what it's made out of (brass, nickel, etc.) and if it's laqured or plated can also affect the sound slightly
Take care and be blessed!  Ps 16

Offline Jbroad572

• LGM Member
    • http://www.myspace.com/b5productions

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 12:32:22 PM »
Yo be honest and in my personal opinion it's more about the player rather than the horn or the setup. Bird sounded like Bird no matter what he was playing, I bet Kirk will sound like Kirk no matter what. I think it's pretty easy to access a similar sound with different mouthpieces by simply changing the reed. The differences are sometimes minimal and the average person couldn't really tell a difference. When I go test play I look for what is comfortable to play and smooth action.

The mouthpiece definitely makes more of a difference than the horn though.

Offline baldeagle

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 12:49:14 PM »
Yo be honest and in my personal opinion it's more about the player rather than the horn or the setup.

That's what I was going to say. When Gerald Albright changed labels this last time, he also changed his horn from a Selmer Super Action Series II, to a Cannonball. And even though his sound changed a little (because of the difference in the manufacturing of each company), it still sounds and feels like Albright.

Decide what you want to sound like, and practice getting that tone. Then use whatever mouthpiece helps you get that tone easiest.

Hope this helps.
It's God's way. . . or Hell to pay

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 05:50:00 PM »
Welcome to LGM.
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.

Offline david johnson

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 12:10:43 PM »
the player is the factor that makes the most difference.
assuming the embouchure is good - then mouthpiece, reed selection...try a solid silver neck, too.

dj

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My dog Bear (125lbs of Luv)
    • Wolfram a/k/a Don Zlaty

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 09:53:23 AM »
As it has already been stated... It is all in the player.

I started on a YAS-23 student model alto.  I played that for a LONG time.  I now play a very SWEET Selmer MK VI alto and although the sound is thicker, I can pick up almost any brand of similiar quality and produce a simliar sound.  The Cannonball (Gerald Albright Series) was a fantastic horn.  I almost bought one.  It is by far a step down from the Vi I currently own.  (This is not the same horn the Gerald plays...  I am sure his version of this horn is a bit more tweaked)

Now, I will say that if you pick up a Monique or a Bundy, you will get what you pay for.  There is something about quality of metal here.

Pages: [1]   Go Up