LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone know about the Saxophone?  (Read 1713 times)

Offline Jazzy E

• LGM Member
  • Jazzy E

Anyone know about the Saxophone?
« on: October 08, 2006, 10:48:32 AM »
 Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone in here plays the Saxophone or know about it?
 I want to know what kind of Saxophones there are, I want to play the one that you play in Funk music not the Romantic Sax that sounds kind of like a clarinet. . Thanks
Jazzy E

Offline favoritepsalm1

• LGM Member
  • Future Minstrels & Levites
    • http://anointed2do.wordpress.com

Re: Anyone know about the Saxophone?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 09:35:44 AM »
My father is a saxophonist and I played a little.  Your basic types are soprano, alto, tenor, and baritone.  They all look pretty much the same (kinda J-shaped) except for the soprano sax.  It looks more like a brass clarinet.  Just like any other instrument, it takes knowing your notes and fingerings, but then you have to factor in reed and breath control.  Some players have mastered the art of exhaling and playing the sax while continuin to breathe through there nose.  That means they can hold a note forever!  The one you're probably thinking about (in funk music) is the alto saxophone.  It's the most widely played.

Offline Jazzy E

• LGM Member
  • Jazzy E

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 10:43:37 AM »
thanks for the info  ;) I just bought an Alto Sax two days ago.. its not as easy as i thought it would be.. The notes didnt come out at first and i was playing like squdward from SpongeBob..  i got frustraded at first but hopefully that will change if I ask God to help me. Thanks again!
Jazzy E

HammerRock

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 11:29:39 AM »
The notes didnt come out at first and i was playing like squdward from SpongeBob.. 

As yes, good old SpongeBob... I'm glad my kids are out of that phase...  ;D

Offline Jazzy E

• LGM Member
  • Jazzy E

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 01:50:31 PM »
 are you implying that I watch spongebob? If so I object, my thesis was that I was playing as incopetent and as inaccurate as a character from a Television show that I may or may not watch sometimes during boring after school hours . .
Jazzy E

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 09:15:14 PM »
Big KIDDS! lol! j/k...
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.

Offline pdpguy

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 01:02:32 PM »
Some players have mastered the art of exhaling and playing the sax while continuin to breathe through there nose.  That means they can hold a note forever! 

it's called circular breathing. and you can't hold a note forever. . . when would you eat? or take a bath? ;D ;D

actually, go to saxontheweb.com. they have a lot of good information about playing. i've been playing forabout 20 years and the best advice that i could give you is learn everything you can about MUSIC not just the sax. if you learn music you'll learn how to apply it on the sax. go to as many websites as you can. go to some stores that sell saxophone stuff and ask a bunch of questions (don't even care about getting on the salesman's nerves -- in case they forget you can remind them that that's what they're there for). try to learn more than the salespeople know. that way when they tell you something wrong, you can correct them. . . it's happend to me before. But then they respect you more and treat you like you're not just some other guy in the store, because you know what you're talkinga about.

play around with different strength reeds. the bigger the number, the harder the reed. play around with different moutpieces. . . metal is usually louder and brighter (more treble and high frequencies) than plastic or hard rubber.

by the way, you can use any kind of sax in any kind of musical style if you learn how to do it and use creativity. don't let anybody tell you what belongs and what doesn't. only you know what belongs in the music you hear.

Offline BMA

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 12:51:00 AM »

by the way, you can use any kind of sax in any kind of musical style if you learn how to do it and use creativity. don't let anybody tell you what belongs and what doesn't. only you know what belongs in the music you hear.
[/quote]

HERE HERE!! I must agree!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up