LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Vocal Embellishment and Ablibbing  (Read 6600 times)

Offline ShaadyDaNex

• LGM Member

Vocal Embellishment and Ablibbing
« on: October 10, 2006, 01:17:18 PM »
 I can sing, but  I would sound better and more experianced, if i knew How to adlib and run properly.... Do you have any tips on "How to Use Vocal Embellishment"

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

Re: Vocal Embellishment and Ablibbing
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 02:47:26 PM »
First off, Welcome to the site.  We have a lot of great singers around here, so I'm sure you'll get the info you need.  Unfortunately, I'm not one of them, so I just wanted to holla, and make you feel welcome in the meantime  ;) :D

Offline kbolden

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 10:29:29 PM »
Listen to some professionals and try to imitate them and have someone to listen to you before you perform and try it that way or sing it publicly and look at the congregations' faces HAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Play skilfully unto the Lord with a loud noise ...... Psalms 33:3

Offline ShaadyDaNex

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 11:31:05 PM »
 1st of all, Thank you  for welcoming me. 2nd, I appreciate anyone who takes the time to reply to my comments and questions. Thirdly, i dont perform, i minister. Lol...

Offline an_etonian

• LGM Member
  • On tour in Japan; practising for a solo!

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 12:13:57 PM »
I don't really know much (well nothing ;)) about gospel music, but you shouldn't be worried about sounding experienced - in some places, keeping it simple sounds much better.
I love:
César Franck
C H H Parry
Ousely
Tallis.

Offline MusiqB77

• LGM Member
    • http://www.myspace.com/wutgodscallin4

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 11:05:23 PM »
First of all, pray consistantly for God to mold you into what HE wants you to be as a psalmist. Listen to singers you like, and ones that fit the style you want to sing. Practice, practice, practice.
Seven days without prayer makes one weak.

Offline rovelmorris

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 10:00:11 PM »
Hey, well I started singing at age 6. I am now 32yrs old..I sing all the parts i.e Soprano, Alto and Tenor..I am a choir director, soloist  and Praise and Worship leader..I say all of that to say that techniques in singing do not come over night it takes years of practice...you have to really have a good range in terms of how you can manipulate you voice and really feel the song and let it minister to you..when you do that then adlbbing comes very easy..especially if you are doing a lead on the choir and the song in question needs a fearless lead singer who can carry the song through to the end..Some good singers to listen to who does these stuff well are ;-

Kurt Carr Singers
Yolanda Adams
Shirley Caesar plus a lot more

However just practice not everyone has the ability to adlib it is a natural gft that comes with the anointing.   

Offline LyricTenor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Not ONE Muslim joke!! >:-(

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 07:57:18 AM »
From what I've noticed about adlibbing, it's all just The Word in your own words. 

uniquepraise

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 04:56:20 PM »
BE YOURSELF!!!  When I tried to sing like others it never worked for me and became a disaster!

When I began to build upon my relationship with GOD, sing His word, and allow Him to sing and minister through me the sound and ministry under the anointing is like none other.  He's the ultimate singer so get into His presence and let Him download what He has for you into you.

Go after GOD's knowledge and become who he wants you to be in your ministering in song! ;D

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 01:09:54 AM »
I can sing, but  I would sound better and more experianced, if i knew How to adlib and run properly.... Do you have any tips on "How to Use Vocal Embellishment"

If you listen to many people that do runs more so in the RnB arena they sing in their range. Usually low. If you practice doing runs in chest voice Im sure you will be able to do them higher. I figured this out a while back. I wish I would only practice. Also learn to sing the chromatic, minor and blues scales. Singing is really about breath control. When you get better control of that you will be able to do more. If you can sing those scales you will be surprised at what you can do. Look at Kim Burrell.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline LyricTenor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 09:55:38 AM »
If you listen to many people that do runs more so in the RnB arena they sing in their range. Usually low. If you practice doing runs in chest voice Im sure you will be able to do them higher. I figured this out a while back. I wish I would only practice. Also learn to sing the chromatic, minor and blues scales. Singing is really about breath control. When you get better control of that you will be able to do more. If you can sing those scales you will be surprised at what you can do. Look at Kim Burrell.

Could you dummy this down a few shades for me?  Thx.  ;)

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 12:41:22 PM »
Could you dummy this down a few shades for me?  Thx.  ;)

You dont know how to play? The chromatic scale is moving up or down in half steps.
The C minor scale
C, D, Eb, F, G, Ab, Bb, C

The C Blues scale
C, Eb, F, Gb, G, Bb, C

Offline LyricTenor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2006, 02:41:53 PM »
You dont know how to play? The chromatic scale is moving up or down in half steps.
The C minor scale
C, D, Eb, F, G, Ab, Bb, C

The C Blues scale
C, Eb, F, Gb, G, Bb, C

No, I don't.  I say it all the time.

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Lord Can Do All Things!

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 02:56:49 PM »
Welcome to LGM, ShaadyDaNex
Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Lord Can Do All Things!

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 02:58:03 PM »
Welcome to LGM,  rovelmorris
Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2006, 03:01:20 PM »
1st of all, Thank you  for welcoming me. 2nd, I appreciate anyone who takes the time to reply to my comments and questions. Thirdly, i dont perform, i minister. Lol...

Let me preface this by saying , "I'm not tryin to get at you by no means.(welcome, BTW)"

But why do Christians have a programmed aversion to the word "Perform"? Is something WRONG with "performing"? If you audition for someone do we say, I dont perform?  I think not. If a Christian on broadway 'performs' is he wrong? Not likely. 

Getting the big head is the problem. Being boastful in yourself is a problem. actin like 'Im the man, hear my runs" is a problem. Vain glory.

But having a desire to "execute the work that you put in in order to acheive a level of exellence" i.e PERFORM...Nothing wroing with that.

You can be humble, Godly, minister, AND STILL PERFORM.

my 2 cent...
Sometime i think we're too churchy for our own good.

Offline LyricTenor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2006, 03:17:46 PM »
Let me preface this by saying , "I'm not tryin to get at you by no means.(welcome, BTW)"

But why do Christians have a programmed aversion to the word "Perform"? Is something WRONG with "performing"? If you audition for someone do we say, I dont perform?  I think not. If a Christian on broadway 'performs' is he wrong? Not likely. 

Getting the big head is the problem. Being boastful in yourself is a problem. actin like 'Im the man, hear my runs" is a problem. Vain glory.

But having a desire to "execute the work that you put in in order to acheive a level of exellence" i.e PERFORM...Nothing wroing with that.

You can be humble, Godly, minister, AND STILL PERFORM.

my 2 cent...
Sometime i think we're too churchy for our own good.

Soooooooo, what'cha sayin' Curry WOLF?   ;)

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2006, 08:47:54 PM »
IM SAYIN......

Dont be afraid to perform. that's what us musicians do.

be humble AND perform
be anointed AND perform
minister AND perform
give God glory AND perform
be a willing empty vessel AND perform
walk in excellence AND perform
be reverent AND perform

dont wanna hijack the thread.....please....back to the vocal embellishments.

(now where's my curry goat....) ?/? ?/?

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2006, 10:40:48 PM »
Well Jesus performed miracles. :D

Offline Scales27

• LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2006, 10:44:50 PM »
   Listen to an instrumental that just... speaks to you. Make sure no one says any words, and that you've never heard it before. This is crucial so you stick to any specific melody. Then sing to it without words for a minute, then say whatever words come to you for a minute. Then switch back to singing without words, but try to sing some runs you've heard on the piano (basically runs that you do on the piano if you play). Then try to do all three. Do that and post back on here and let me know what happens. I have some other ways, but I don't want you to try too many at one time and get discombobulated.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up