LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vocal Embellishment and Ablibbing  (Read 6685 times)

Offline dfwkeys

• LGM Member

Re: Vocal Embellishment and Ablibbing
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2006, 08:23:17 AM »
www.singingsuccess.com   I purchased this program that does step by step vocals all on 12 cd's and there's a 2nd program called mastering vibrato.  The first time i ever song was last sunday and i'm 26 years old.  I can testify that if you can't sing at all, with determination and persistance you can do it.  i couldn't hold a tune all my life, this program teaches you runs, licks, and the most common riffs that are used.  the cost is $199 for the 12 cd's, but you can also pay in installments as low as $26 per month.  it's well worth the investment if your seriousy about singing.  I also found that this works better then a vocal instructor that someone would usually pay $50 or per hour for.  I'm my lessons i'm working on my licks and riffs.  It's kind of hard to explain by typing, but i'm just giving a resource to go to. 

Offline Soul_Flower

• LGM Member
  • Sweet As A Rose!!

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2006, 07:23:22 PM »
www.singingsuccess.com   I purchased this program that does step by step vocals all on 12 cd's and there's a 2nd program called mastering vibrato.  The first time i ever song was last sunday and i'm 26 years old.  I can testify that if you can't sing at all, with determination and persistance you can do it.  i couldn't hold a tune all my life, this program teaches you runs, licks, and the most common riffs that are used.  the cost is $199 for the 12 cd's, but you can also pay in installments as low as $26 per month.  it's well worth the investment if your seriousy about singing.  I also found that this works better then a vocal instructor that someone would usually pay $50 or per hour for.  I'm my lessons i'm working on my licks and riffs.  It's kind of hard to explain by typing, but i'm just giving a resource to go to. 

Well, I am not new to singing but that term "lick" is new to me.  I know what a riff is  (I think  :-\), runs, but what is a "lick".  Just curious to know.  If I'm going to be talking on LGM, I want to be able to understand folks.  :D  So, skool me a bit.  Thanks In Advance.

Smooches!!  :-*
If you take the time to smell the roses,
life will be much more sweeter.  Smooches!!

Offline LyricTenor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Not ONE Muslim joke!! >:-(

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2006, 08:15:50 AM »
Well, I am not new to singing but that term "lick" is new to me.  I know what a riff is  (I think  :-\), runs, but what is a "lick".  Just curious to know.  If I'm going to be talking on LGM, I want to be able to understand folks.  :D  So, skool me a bit.  Thanks In Advance.

Smooches!!  :-*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lick_%28music%29

Hope this helps.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2006, 09:10:15 AM »

This is GREAT to read because I've been wanting to try this program, but I needed to hear from someone who had done it (because $200 bones is $200 bones, feel me?)

Thanks, I think this might be a Christmas present to myself.  :D
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline Soul_Flower

• LGM Member
  • Sweet As A Rose!!

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2006, 09:54:01 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lick_%28music%29

Hope this helps.

Thank you Lyric for the link.  Unfortunately though, it didn't work.  I clicked on it and it was just a white picture.  But, I thank you for trying.  You can tell me what it means.  I know you know what it is.  ;)
If you take the time to smell the roses,
life will be much more sweeter.  Smooches!!

Offline diverse379

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Players Govern Players Spectators Form Opinions

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2006, 06:14:19 PM »
I can sing, but  I would sound better and more experianced, if i knew How to adlib and run properly.... Do you have any tips on "How to Use Vocal Embellishment"

check out my post on riding the vowels
actually its called three minute vocal lesson
To be or not to be that is the question you anwer when you pray practice and read your word

Offline LyricTenor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Not ONE Muslim joke!! >:-(

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2006, 01:35:55 AM »
Thank you Lyric for the link.  Unfortunately though, it didn't work.  I clicked on it and it was just a white picture.  But, I thank you for trying.  You can tell me what it means.  I know you know what it is.  ;)

Lick (music)

In popular music, a lick is a "rock term [meaning]...something like 'a stock pattern or phrase'" (Middleton 1990, p.137); a short phrase, or series of notes, often improvised by a musician. It is most often associated with jazz or rock music, and with stringed instruments, especially the guitar, banjo, slightly less so with the piano.

In a jazz band, a lick may be performed by a soloist at a rehearsed or unrehearsed point in a song, with the soloist continuing after all other musicians stop playing; see also break and solo. It can be a testament to the virtuosity of the musician to create a spontaneous, original short phrase which fits well with a standard composition.

Licks in rock and jazz are often used through a formula, and variations technique, such as Jimi Hendrix's "Gypsy Eyes", which, according to Richard Middleton (ibid, p.137), "is put together from variants of five stock ideas...familiar from other recordings in the same style...The combination and variations of these formulae are many and highly imaginative. But the basic formulae are so simple that the recording could well have been worked out 'in performance.'"

Offline s580rc

• LGM Member

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2006, 07:35:14 PM »
Hey Soul Flower, I got your answer!
In musical terms, a 'lick' is a series of notes, like a very short melody. The formal term for this is 'motif'. It is sometimes played repeatedly, but doesn't have to be. The term 'lick', however, is usually used by guitar or bass players to denote a particular pattern used in a song, unique to their instrument. So there are saxaphone licks, vocal licks etc.

I hope this explanation helps!
Peace

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2006, 07:11:08 AM »

How has this been working out for you?
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline ShaadyDaNex

• LGM Member

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2007, 01:25:22 AM »
I'm so sorry, I thought this was gone be a topic that people just browsed by. I didnt think it would be this many replies, so I haven't vitited this forum since my last comment.
So let me update Yall...
  Of course I prayed, and still pray that god would increase my musical and vocal abilllity. The lord has blessed me with more oppurtunities to practice my skills; i/e singing on praise teams and in numerous choirs in the bay area, and directing my school's gospel and church's young adult choirs that i started. As I grew in the ministry, I realized that it was a confidence thing. I was skurred to let the lord use me. I didnt know and trust that he would have my back, when i do things for him. God has sparkling in my life in the last couple of months, more than just vocaly. So seeing Youre words now is very encouraging.
 Thank you, and keep it comin cuz its helpin=g and is appreciated.

Offline Holy Roller

• LGM Member

« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2007, 09:30:08 PM »
your vocal chords are basically a "Memory Muscle".  you just have to do runs over and over and over again until you voice literally Memorizes them to a perfection.

practice vocal scales. work them till they are flawless. work on them acapello and tape yourself  singing !!
practice hymns that work you low, Mid and upper range. here are a few :

The High PLaces
amazing grace
battle hymn of republic
eye is on the Sparrow
God Leads us along
star spangled Banner

Here are some scales that work on jumping 3rds and fifths. as you perfect it, speed it up. do them legato and staccato

C -E -G- E - G - C ( keep modulating half steps )

C-E-G - C - G - E - C ( keep modulating half steps)

Offline MrSparrow

• LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2007, 10:35:58 AM »
The word says that Iron sharpens Iron...

You need to surround yourself with singers that are above and at your abilities. Question them, challenge them, work with them, share with them and you'll all grow together...

The only thing that I can advise you about runs is make sure you are more concerned with the effectiveness of the run instead of the "WOW effect". Some people LOVE Kim Burrell because she can run for days... other people HATE Kim Burrell b/c she can run for days. Tonex is another person who's ability to run can take you UNDER or take you OUT.

MrSparrow

Offline diverse379

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Players Govern Players Spectators Form Opinions

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2007, 12:18:40 PM »
The word says that Iron sharpens Iron...

You need to surround yourself with singers that are above and at your abilities. Question them, challenge them, work with them, share with them and you'll all grow together...

The only thing that I can advise you about runs is make sure you are more concerned with the effectiveness of the run instead of the "WOW effect". Some people LOVE Kim Burrell because she can run for days... other people HATE Kim Burrell b/c she can run for days. Tonex is another person who's ability to run can take you UNDER or take you OUT.

MrSparrow

I had a lady say that she likes to crawl inside a song and live in it when she sings

interesting analogy

think on that one a minute young grass hopper
To be or not to be that is the question you anwer when you pray practice and read your word

Offline ShaadyDaNex

• LGM Member

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2007, 02:26:17 AM »
I don't get it...?...

Offline todd pickell

• LGM Member

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2007, 11:32:57 AM »
a lick is:
In popular music genres such as rock music, a lick is a "a stock pattern or phrase" (Middleton 1990, p.137) consisting of a short phrase, or series of notes that is used in solos and melodic lines. The term is most often used by rock musicians who play the guitar. Licks in rock and jazz are often used through a formula, and variations technique in which variants of simple, stock ideas are blended and developed during the solo.

In a jazz band, a lick may be performed during an improvised solo, either during an accompanied solo chorus or during an unaccompanied solo break. Jazz licks are usually original short phrases which can be altered so that they can be used over a song's changing harmonic progressions.

[edit] Similar concepts

A lick is different from the related concept of a riff in that riffs can also include repeated chord progressions. Licks are usually associated with single-note melodic lines rather than chord progressions. However, like riffs, licks can be used as the basis of an entire song. Single-line riffs or licks used as the basis of classical music pieces are called ostinatos. Contemporary jazz writers" also use riff- or lick-like ostinatos in modal music and Latin jazz.

A lick can be a hook, if the lick meets the definition of a hook: "a musical idea, a passage or phrase, that is believed to be appealing and make the song stand out", and "catch the ear of the listener" (Covach 2005, p.71)

HOPE THAT HELPS
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up