LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Some Words Of Wisdom  (Read 12985 times)

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Some Words Of Wisdom
« on: October 14, 2006, 09:46:54 AM »
Now, this may not sit well with some of you, but I'm going to say it anyway.  If there is a song, progression, or any kind of musical number that is giving you a hard time to play right now, here is something you can do to make it easier: 

LEAVE IT ALONE

When I say leave it along, I mean leave it for right now, then come back to it later.  Don't ever be ashamed to let go of that particular musical number right now cuz it is too much for you.  I have tried this before, and I have found that if you leave it alone for a while, later on you may learn a new technique that will cause something to "click" in your head.  Then, you will go back to that music you left and it will suddenly make sense to you.  Even if it is years later before it starts to make sense, don't worry about it. 

There have been songs that I wanted to play, but my level of understanding was not up to par, so I had to let it go.  I would be up for hours going over that one song trying to get it, but it would never come.  Then, it hit me, go to someting easier first then come back to that.  One particular song I will use for example is "Up Above My Head" by Kirk Franklin.  If yall are familiar with this song, it has a jazzy feel to it.  I tried to so hard to learn that song, I even got the sheet music and i stil couldn't get it.  So, i stopped trying to learn it, and I moved to other stuff.  About a couple of years later, I started to understand progressions, and then I heard that song again.  When I heard it, it sounded different cuz instantly i started recognizing the progressions used in that song.  I was like "Man, that's it, it's that easy?", and I was so happy that I let it go all those years before.  Now, i understand it and it's not that hard to play now.

I see so many musicians killing themselves just to learn one song, run, etc., that they fail to grow cuz they are stuck in that one position.  It's o.k. to let it go, it's not the end of the world.  You are not going to die because you can't play it right now.  If it's people that are pressuring you, or if you are pressuring yourself, yall got along great before it, and you will continue to get along w/out it.  Learn to tell people and yourself "No, not right now."  You may get criticized and you may get left behind temporarily, but you will be staying true to yourself.

Becoming a musican is a slow, life-long process that WILL TAKE TIME in order to reach your full potential.  It won't come in a year, it won't come in 2 years, and for some it won't come in 20 years.  It will come when it's YOUR TIME for it to come.  It's time for us to get out of this "I want to play this right now" mode and get into the "One day I will be able to play this" mode.  With dedication and practice, you will find that it's much easier to be in the "One day I will be able to play this" mode than the "I want to play this right now mode."  It will take a lot of stress off you and encourage you to take your time and get it right.  I'll use this scripture from the Bible to emphasize my message:

Ecclesiastes 9:11  "I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neigher yet the bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.

When it is your time, it will come.  Don't rush it, let it happen naturally and you will get to the place where you want to be.  Keep learning, keep practicing, and keep in mind that it will take time, so stop worrying and start enjoying your musical journey.  I love all of you LGM family!!! ;D
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline Val215

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Virtuously Gifted

Re: Some Words Of Wisdom
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 10:00:05 AM »
Thank you for those words of wisdom :)
Check me out on Facebook at Virtuously Gifted and on Instagram at virtuouslygifted_215

Keys410

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 10:11:56 AM »
Good words of wisdom Doc....Be blessed

Offline PianoWizard

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 費思是能力到不恐慌

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 11:27:47 AM »
Thanks for the words of wisdom "T-Block"..... :).

PianoWiz...

Offline Bigtime

• LGM Member
  • Bigtimekeyz Doin' Big Thangs
    • Myspace

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 02:31:44 PM »
This is something that I do all the time.....More Words of Wisdom: Dont Stress Yourself..U WILL GET IT
"Mama said the transpose key is the Devil" only use if u have 2

Cmajor13

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 02:42:20 PM »
thanks doc that was very encouraging

Offline DAK23

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 05:13:11 PM »
Thank's T-Block
For your word. I am one of those people. 

Offline pastor rob

• LGM Member
  • God is still good!

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 08:48:13 PM »
Great words of maturity!
In Him,

Pastor Rob

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 09:33:37 PM »
That's good stuff, teach!  :D
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline one_lord

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 10:41:18 PM »
well said! that word "is" for me!

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2006, 09:21:37 AM »
Thank you T-Block. That was on the money.
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.

Offline Wash

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006, 02:19:28 PM »
Thank you T-Block for sharing this word with other musicians.   I found this to be true a very long time ago.  May God Bless you.  You are always helping other musicians unselfishly.   I'm sure that others will benefit from your words of "Wisdom"

Offline lfifega

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • All things work together for the good...

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2006, 03:15:26 PM »
Could not be more true !  You confirmed what the spirit told me awhile ago.  I thank God for your obedience to the call on your life.  You have no idea the number of lives that are touched because of that obedience.  May God continue to Bless you and heaven smile upon you.
With  God, all things are possible, if we only believe!

Offline mellowone

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2006, 08:16:27 PM »
thanks bruh i apreciate the words

Offline Samala

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2006, 08:47:01 PM »
When I say leave it along, I mean leave it for right now, then come back to it later.  Don't ever be ashamed to let go of that particular musical number right now cuz it is too much for you.  I have tried this before, and I have found that if you leave it alone for a while, later on you may learn a new technique that will cause something to "click" in your head.  Then, you will go back to that music you left and it will suddenly make sense to you.  Even if it is years later before it starts to make sense, don't worry about it. 

This is so true. It works, even if you don't get to learn the song for like a year, don't let it stress you out. It will make you lose your passion for the art.

Offline rspindy

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2006, 10:34:04 AM »
You are so right T-Block.  And what you say is true at many levels.

I've been playing for 40 years and there are pieces of music that are just now making sense to me to be able to learn them from 10 - 15 - even 30 years ago.

Your advice is also good on a shorter term level.  Say you have been working on a piece and you sort of have it but you are stuck.  Let it go for a few days or a few weeks.  You will be surprised how working in other directions and letting some of that work that you had put in before work itself out in your sub-conscious can help.  I've had music that I would not practice for a few weeks and then the next time that I tried it, many things seem to come together that all of the wood-shedding failed to accomplish.

And, of course it comes down to that concept "PATIENCE".  ("Lord, give me patience and give it to me NOW!.")  As the writer said in Ecclesiastes "To every thing there is a season."

Offline SisterT

• Senior Moderator
  • LGM Member
  • New Look, Still Divalicious!
    • Earnest and Roline Ministries

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2006, 11:47:06 AM »
That's good advice. Thanks T-Block

Offline Ladymusic88

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2006, 10:03:29 PM »
Great point, T-Block! 

I have been there!  Every now and then, I find a song that is too difficult for me to understand.  I usually put it away for a little while.  That reminds me, I need to go back to learning some songs that I tried to learn about 5 or 6 years ago!

Thanks, T-Block!

Be Blessed!
Ladymusic88

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2006, 03:25:44 PM »
That reminds me, I need to go back to learning some songs that I tried to learn about 5 or 6 years ago!

Me too, LOL. :D
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline dyronjackson

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • D Train

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2006, 08:38:26 PM »
T,

Great words or wisdom and encouragement. I find myself often moving away from learning a particular piece when I am stuck. It's funny how your mind never stops working on the piece. You can be working on something else and it hits you. "Oh that's what the chord is or the chords are". Thanks T-Block!!!!!
Be Blessed
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up