LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: A little clip of of me playing in service  (Read 5825 times)

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member
  • Yaron MusicCo. Gospels Fresh Sound!

Re: A little clip of of me playing in service
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2006, 06:29:05 PM »
Your comments have been dually noted, your entitled to your opinion, just make sure you realize thats all it is - your opinion. Im not at all upset, Im encouraged..... God Bless everyone, I really hope these last few post has not brought anyone's spirits down, if so I would like to personally apologize, sincerly. Please keep every musician in your prayers, not just in word, but in deed.

i hope you didnt take any offense to my post or even GodsBassMans post bcuz i dont think anything was meant to offend and with us not talking face 2 face it could be read the wrong way which is why i started mine with i posted with love.

i love honesty and i dont mean like a harsh like you suck type i mean honesty that doesnt set any one up for failure. this happened to me where when i first started playing keys everyone was like man your good so when i put myself in a position to play for a church i became more of a distraction then a help bcuz i sucked so bad.

I hear exactly what your saying, and I actually ment to prefface the post by saying that I dont normally "lead" like that unless we have decided to go that route. Unfortunately because of the skill of the board playing (not to mention drummer) I find myself leading a lot and playing the keyboard players part, only because most of the time he is not doing his job so I pick it up. He was supposed to fall back while I was doing my little riff but of course he didnt. This is in no way an excuse, I should have just ran the line but sometime's your just out-rigth "feelin it" so I ran with it.

As far as tunning, I turn my Highs practically all the way up, my pickup know I turn 3/4ths to highs, or whatever the setting is, adjust my mids to midway and my lows to about 3/4ths as well. For me its a pretty nice balance, of course you have to do a little adjusting on your pre-amp as well

Another great tip, that I dont think i have ever really seen posted up is the variable of sound you get depending on the position of your plucking/strumming finger. If you pluck/strum closer to the end of the sting, you will get a much crisper, richer sound. And conversly, if closer toward the head you pluck/strum the deep and growlier your sound will be, try it out. It would be great if someone posted the differnces to show everyone.

as far as the other cats you play with, you guys should be each others help. be honest with each other and learn even if it take for you to say to the keys player like yo im not feelin playin the melody you should be on it, and you and drummer get together and sync and talk about the pattern of his foot with your bass line thats the heartbeat of any groove.

here is something im learning now, you have people who can play instruments and you have musicians and there is a difference.

Offline anointed_strings

• LGM Member

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2006, 07:10:11 PM »
I believe the song would have sounded alot better if you would have held the bottom down.  Our major role as bassist is to provide a link between melody and rhythm.  We have to maintain a groove.  I haven't been playing long either, but the other musicians at my church and I ensure that we play together.  It is a blessing that we are all work together to use our gifts as our ministry.  We are very honest with each other in order to further each others ministry.

Offline Mrbassics

• LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2006, 07:57:03 PM »
I believe the song would have sounded alot better if you would have held the bottom down.  Our major role as bassist is to provide a link between melody and rhythm.  We have to maintain a groove.  I haven't been playing long either, but the other musicians at my church and I ensure that we play together.  It is a blessing that we are all work together to use our gifts as our ministry.  We are very honest with each other in order to further each others ministry.

I really do appreciate the constructive comments/criticism. Its one thing all the musicians at my church are working on is cohesion. Just learning  to play with each other and sound as 1 unit. Anyway, again, keep the comments coming!

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2006, 08:06:21 PM »
I believe if the keys would have held more of a chorded foundation for you, by this I mean more full chords instead of just triads, your sound would have been a lot better.  Also, maybe next time just hold the bottom if the keys can't quite develop full chords yet.  I also want to mention that, we as bass players can worship on our basses as well and play in higher octaves.  We don't have to hold the bottom all the time.  Mr.Bassics and any other bass player, when the spirit hits you and you are lead to play the whole fretboard, do it.  I play keys, and sometimes I find myself hitting chords and runs that I know I didn't know before the spirit fell in the service.  I've played my bass at times and did some runs and scales that I can't repeat to save my life. That's because the spirit was playing through me using my instrument.  So, everyone please remember to follow the spirit, but don't be out of place with it.  There is a time for it.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline play4zero

• LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2006, 09:48:38 PM »
There is nothing more frustrating than having to take shots because you're playing with other musicians who are not doing their jobs very well.  Been there, done that, and it was very, very uncomfortable.

While we can say that it would be nice to say "hold down the bottom" that's all well and good if someone else is doing their job and holding down the melody and someone else is providing a steady rhythm, etc.  In this case Mrbassics carried these other folks on his back and did a very good job in the process.

As for the camera, I suspect he had it there precisely so he could evaluate his work and improve it so he could provide a more meaningful worship experience forhis congregation in the future.  That's why he's here isn't it?  Isn't that what this post is about? There's nothing wrong with that. 

I have a Roland Edirol R-9 digital recorder that I record everything I do on.   It's not about saying look at me and see what i'm doing, it's so I can see if that pattern I thought worked so well actually fit in with what the rest of the band was doing and so I can ask the music director if there's anything he wants to hear that would improve what he's trying to achieve.  All of it is so I don't stick out like a sore thumb during worship.

I repeat, I think you did a good job playing in a very difficult situation and you should be encouraged if for no other reason the fact that you're hanging in there and trying to improve both yourself and your fellow musicians.
Ezekiel 3:12

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2006, 10:18:04 PM »
There is nothing more frustrating than having to take shots because you're playing with other musicians who are not doing their jobs very well.  Been there, done that, and it was very, very uncomfortable.

While we can say that it would be nice to say "hold down the bottom" that's all well and good if someone else is doing their job and holding down the melody and someone else is providing a steady rhythm, etc.  In this case Mrbassics carried these other folks on his back and did a very good job in the process.

As for the camera, I suspect he had it there precisely so he could evaluate his work and improve it so he could provide a more meaningful worship experience forhis congregation in the future.  That's why he's here isn't it?  Isn't that what this post is about? There's nothing wrong with that. 

I have a Roland Edirol R-9 digital recorder that I record everything I do on.   It's not about saying look at me and see what i'm doing, it's so I can see if that pattern I thought worked so well actually fit in with what the rest of the band was doing and so I can ask the music director if there's anything he wants to hear that would improve what he's trying to achieve.  All of it is so I don't stick out like a sore thumb during worship.

I repeat, I think you did a good job playing in a very difficult situation and you should be encouraged if for no other reason the fact that you're hanging in there and trying to improve both yourself and your fellow musicians.

couldn't have been said better.  I think I need to get one of them digital recorders to evaluate myself.  I haven't done that before.

Godsbassman

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2006, 06:37:30 AM »
couldn't have been said better.  I think I need to get one of them digital recorders to evaluate myself.  I haven't done that before.
The Bottom line is this, nothing I saw in this video went with the service. I'm not trying to hurt this young guy feelings but pass alone training I've had in Playing for God and in church.

I said before Entertainer and playing for God are two diffrent thing. And anyone that tell this young man his playing went alone with
the moment are WRONG

We are here to help by giving and ask by taking. His playing was good but did not fit anything

Offline Mrbassics

• LGM Member

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2006, 07:40:35 AM »

Ahh man, you guys been holding out on me all this time. This is the first time I've come across it. How much does it run? I took a look at it online, the only question is how much time does the 64mb card hold?

Offline play4zero

• LGM Member

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2006, 09:47:22 AM »
The 64mb card will hold around 2 hours in the lowest setting, but I just bought a 2 gig card at Office Max for $40 and it holds 12 hours at the highest mp3 setting and about 2 hours at 24 bit 48khz wav setting.

I must say that our friend Godsbassman is giving you his opinion as he honestly and consistently has expressed it before with other players on this forum.  Andrew Gouche came on this forum when his work was being discussed and he, then posting as cleaveakabig, rendered the same opinion as he gave above with your work.  So obviously he's not just picking on you because he doesn't like you.  So, if you keep going down the path you're on, look what you might sound like eventually.

Keep practicing and pursuing feedback from Godly people and I have no doubt that your work wll be pleasing to God.

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2006, 11:33:32 AM »
May I suggest this.

"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2006, 11:45:09 AM »
May I suggest this.

I'm going to check this out.

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2006, 11:54:07 AM »
The Bottom line is this, nothing I saw in this video went with the service. I'm not trying to hurt this young guy feelings but pass alone training I've had in Playing for God and in church.

I said before Entertainer and playing for God are two diffrent thing. And anyone that tell this young man his playing went alone with
the moment are WRONG

We are here to help by giving and ask by taking. His playing was good but did not fit anything

I think you are taking it to far.  We all here respect your opinion and I must say that I agree that entertaining and worshiping are two different entities, but all Mr.Bassics asked for was feedback.  Everyone is giving feedback to his clip.  Everyone is giving their personal opinions to the post but no one is getting personal with it.  I feel that you are because of the bold and colored letters.  When typing letters, emails, and anything via the net, one must realize that capital letters, bold words, colored words, etc. means that you are shouting at your reader.  I hope that you are not doing that but that's just proper internet ettiquet.  So remember everything on this forum is in love for God and music, so let's all respect each other's opinion and not use bold and colored letters(words).  It comes of wrong when actually you may be meaning right.  God Bless.

Offline play4zero

• LGM Member

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2006, 12:34:11 PM »
Not a bad suggestion on the Boss unit.  It's about $170 bucks cheaper than the Edirol R-9.  I can't speak to the sound quality, but i imagine it would be good enough for the same kinds of stuff I was talking about, and it also has some of the other features of one of the Pandora's.  If you were interested in a Pandora I would think more about saving a few more bucks and buying one of these.

I've been really happy with the sound quality on my Edirol, but it is pricey. 

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member
  • Yaron MusicCo. Gospels Fresh Sound!

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2006, 01:01:31 PM »
Not a bad suggestion on the Boss unit.  It's about $170 bucks cheaper than the Edirol R-9.  I can't speak to the sound quality, but i imagine it would be good enough for the same kinds of stuff I was talking about, and it also has some of the other features of one of the Pandora's.  If you were interested in a Pandora I would think more about saving a few more bucks and buying one of these.

I've been really happy with the sound quality on my Edirol, but it is pricey. 

edirol and boss are actually the same company they are both roland

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2006, 01:19:26 PM »
Let me break the ice.

Ps 33:3 Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a LOUD noise.  :D

It sounded good but everybody was doing something different. I thought I was at my church for a minute. lol The drummer should be keeping straight time. Then either the piano player needed to hold the bottom with chords while you solo or you hold the bottom and switch off roles with the piano player.

Sounds like I Surrender All. Sounds like the piano player wasnt sure of where he/she was going. Maybe I could post a midi file and you all could show how you would play this on bass whether it be pocket or solo style.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Godsbassman

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2006, 04:22:11 PM »
I think you are taking it to far.  We all here respect your opinion and I must say that I agree that entertaining and worshiping are two different entities, but all Mr.Bassics asked for was feedback.  Everyone is giving feedback to his clip.  Everyone is giving their personal opinions to the post but no one is getting personal with it.  I feel that you are because of the bold and colored letters.  When typing letters, emails, and anything via the net, one must realize that capital letters, bold words, colored words, etc. means that you are shouting at your reader.  I hope that you are not doing that but that's just proper internet ettiquet.  So remember everything on this forum is in love for God and music, so let's all respect each other's opinion and not use bold and colored letters(words).  It comes of wrong when actually you may be meaning right.  God Bless.
I'm not yelling when I do this. I'm trying to point out important parts of my post.Sorry if it seems that way.
I bold and color my tabs also. Far being personal, I do take when we Worship  God Personal. Also the Pastor message from God to us Via
our Pastors.
 I can't stand to see any musician and choir member ,doing wild things doing Worship service to stand out or over do the others.
It's a team effect and about God not us.

Many will come and go, many will change. But God will always be here and will never change.

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2006, 04:36:36 PM »
I'm not yelling when I do this. I'm trying to point out important parts of my post.Sorry if it seems that way.
I bold and color my tabs also. Far being personal, I do take when we Worship  God Personal. Also the Pastor message from God to us Via
our Pastors.
 I can't stand to see any musician and choir member ,doing wild things doing Worship service to stand out or over do the others.
It's a team effect and about God not us.

Many will come and go, many will change. But God will always be here and will never change.

you always find a way to judge what someone is doing.  If you don't know what's in their hearts then you can't say any of this, which you don't, so you can't.

I just don't get how you always get that someone is showing off.  He was playing the song...jeez.  Because it wasn't a traditional bass roll in this video you can't say he was showing off.
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline Dani_D

• LGM Member

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2006, 06:31:36 PM »
I have to admit that I something focus more on myself that on the worship. I sometime care more about what people think than the worship. I even think that there is alot of me that like to play in church because everyone can see me. I know that this is an area that I need to work on. I mean love to be part of the workship team because I feel that it help me get closer to him but also because I think its cool.

I am not sure about anyone else but I stugles with this and would like to request player on this subject. In fact I think it would be nice if we set a day where we could all dedicate sometime in player for this subject.

Offline play4zero

• LGM Member

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2006, 06:40:30 PM »

edirol and boss are actually the same company they are both roland
Yeah, I know.  I think if you click on the link where the Boss unit was recommended it takes ou to a page where the whole list of Roland/Boss units are.  That's also the part that makes me somewhat curious about the sound quality of the Boss unit compared to the Edirol unit. In essence, the Boss unit appears to have more features than the Edirol and it's $170 cheaper.  There has to be some difference in there that makes the Edirol more expensive (although the difference being that I'm a lot dumber than the person who bought the Boss unit has crossed my mind).

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2006, 06:49:28 PM »
We are all not perfect people and we should not be admonished for being imperfect! We should also not be judged by our brothers and sisters but by the man himself! We all want and strive to make the best joyful noise we can! If you feel that you were serving by playing to your best abilities, then so be it! I do not judge you!
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up